Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:31 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Curious what people know about possible risks of living near or even undeneath power lines. I'm looking at buying a home and there are power lines (on wooden poles) on the edge of the property line, maybe 150' from house. These are not the huge lines on metal towers, but smaller power poles seen along roads. Are there health risks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Curious what people know about possible risks of living near or even undeneath power lines. I'm looking at buying a home and there are power lines (on wooden poles) on the edge of the property line, maybe 150' from house. These are not the huge lines on metal towers, but smaller power poles seen along roads. Are there health risks?
I think and feel that they are.
At the risk of getting blasted by cynics, i wear a q-link pendant.
Here are a couple of links that might interest you.
The office of my dentist (the best in S.C. county imo ) has her entire office set up with Biopro Technology to protect the staff and patients from "electropollution".
Ahh, ya gotta love CA!

BIOPRO Technology - A New Generation of Wellness Solutions

QLinkProducts.com online Store

Old 07-25-2009, 02:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Electric power transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The preponderance of evidence suggests that the low-power, low-frequency, electromagnetic radiation associated with household current does not constitute a short or long term health hazard. Although there seems to be a small statistical correlation between various diseases and living near power lines, and some biophysical mechanisms for the promotion of cancer have been proposed (such as the electric fields around powerlines attracting aerosol pollutants), none have been substantiated.
Every electrical wire that carries a current produces a small magnetic field. The effect of that field falls off rapidly with distance. The strength of the field from the power lines 150' away would be far less then that from the table lamp next to you or the television across the room.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I think and feel that they are.
At the risk of getting blasted by cynics, i wear a q-link pendant.
Here are a couple of links that might interest you.
The office of my dentist (the best in S.C. county imo ) has her entire office set up with Biopro Technology to protect the staff and patients from "electropollution".
Ahh, ya gotta love CA!

BIOPRO Technology - A New Generation of Wellness Solutions

QLinkProducts.com online Store
There is evidence that keeping cell phones and other electronic devices close to your heart can be harmful. It could be dangerous wearing that Q-link device close to your heart.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
The wires on top of the wood poles running through your neighborhood carry fairly low voltage. They're ugly but I wouldn't worry about them. I wouldn't want to live too close to the big transmission towers if for no other reason than future resale difficulties.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There is evidence that keeping cell phones and other electronic devices close to your heart can be harmful. It could be dangerous wearing that Q-link device close to your heart.
The Q-Link pendant is supposed to provide protection from "electropollution" ... cell phones, power lines, computers, etc., etc, etc..
Does it work? I dunno.
I've been wearing the same one for many years.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Here is a dumb question (sorry). : What is a Q - pendant?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Here is a dumb question (sorry). : What is a Q - pendant?
Oh, the links i provided will explain it as i wouldn't be able to very well.
I just got one based on intuition quite a few years ago when i was living in the city and Ken Wilber (a philosopher who i actually don't much care for but i do respect his intelligence) endorses it, for what that's worth .
And Deepak Chopra (who has totally sold out but is still a smart guy) wears one and endorses it also.
It's called a Q-Link pendant ... Q-Link being the name of the company.
Bio-Pro (the other link i gave) is another company that supplies similar products to protect one from "eloctropolution".

Old 07-25-2009, 05:32 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Is this pendent big enough to climb into, like a Faraday cage?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
You'll be fine. Practically everyone I know who is over 30 years old grew up in neighborhoods where the residential power lines were above-ground. I grew up in a neighborhood like that. We're all okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California