Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:56 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscs View Post
"Too many people" are rearing teens who turn to the streets for their identity. These teens become adults who perpetuate crime in their communities, over-extend our jails and county services and leave babies at home while the "baby's daddy" does time.
As if that's anything new - and it's not necessarily immigration related unlike what some people here would like to think. Nor is this unique to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Too much the land of opportunity, the land of the Beach boys
One could make a good case for the tragic story of the Wilson brothers as a parable for California and its fate. It remains to be seen if CA is going to wind up like Brian (who was able to pull himself together after lost years of drug use and mental illness and who's recording and performing again) or like Dennis (who died due to his bad habits getting the better of him...)

Old 05-31-2009, 12:22 PM

30,860 posts, read 36,775,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Some of our leadership is still out of touch.

In today's LA Times there is an article about Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (Dem-Los Angeles).

One of her quotes just really struck me wrong:
"Now, she said, voters "are coming after us with 'Why don't you get rid of your cars, why don't you do this, why don't you do that?. . . . What the members of my caucus feel, and frankly I agree, is that we're never going to be able to give up enough.""
California speakership isn't the prize it once was - Los Angeles Times

People are losing their jobs, cars, and homes and the Democratic Caucus feels they are never going to be able to give up enough of what they get?!?

They need to feel some of the same pain a lot of others feel in order to realize change is needed. Change like cutting the budget like regular people are having to do at home.

Maybe they need to lose THEIR jobs to understand?
I think most of our leadership is out of touch....but we keep voting the same people in over and over again.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
mysticaltyger, how it has been explained to me is that domestic partnership and marriage don't give you the same rights. When you are married if your spouse is on his or her death bed you can visit them in the hospital and or make decisions for them and that is not the case in a domestic partnership. I think the other differences would be social security payments if a spouse dies and who gets the property. Even if the property is left to the domestic partner the next of kin who may also be a brother or sister can claim the property of the person that has died and not the domestic partner. There are other issues but I think those were the main points.
Actually, even if they call it "marriage" things like social security payments are not affected because that goes by Federal law, which supercedes the state law. So being a same sex couple (whether married or domestic partner) does not entitle you to a spouse's social security benefits.

As far as I know, CA domestic partner benefits already allow for hospital visitation, etc.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Too much the land of opportunity, the land of the Beach boys and girls and the land of anything goes, eventually everything that comes around goes around. The charm is gone for many, the state is filled with crime, corruption, lazy people who think the term "laid back" means take from the government, smoke Pot, go surfing, hang out and live on berries and booze. I know I am probably over-doing it, but the once awesome place to live is gone for the time being. You still read about he hord of people, mostly kids in their 20s that think they can goes to California, make it big or can just lay back and enjoy the good life. I do think, eventully things will swing back and i do not think all of California has gone by the wasteside, I just think the entire state needs to wake up to realitiy.

Nita
You did exaggerate a little, but I do think you got the essence of it. The voters and politicians have lost their sense of discipline. Whether we go by the wayside or not remains to be seen.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think most of our leadership is out of touch....but we keep voting the same people in over and over again.
I voted against incumbent legislators in 2008, when the state's fiscal crisis had already taken shape, even though it was not as bad as now.

I urge everyone to do the same in 2010, as I will be doing.

The Starr/Kotkin idea about a "Party of California" is a good one - although that was a pretty good description of what the CA Democratic Party USED TO be, and also to some extent what the CA Republican Party was.

I don't agree with Kotkin on everything but his opinions are to be taken very seriously. He's more in touch with CA reality than the Legislature is, despite his incessant SF-bashing (beyond merely SF's politicians)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM

17,334 posts, read 9,149,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You did exaggerate a little, but I do think you got the essence of it. The voters and politicians have lost their sense of discipline. Whether we go by the wayside or not remains to be seen.
We don't have a chance - this is not just a California problem .... we are seeing this nationwide.

Read about what is going on in the United Kingdom - they are finally getting fed up with all their Members of Parliament. Party doesn't matter in a crisis - people are beginning to understand (in some parts of the country) that it's NOT about Politics .... it's about the rotten, self serving politicians.

Way past time to throw ALL the bums out - that's exactly what the Brits are getting ready to do. Who would have ever though that they would figure it out way before we have?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We don't have a chance - this is not just a California problem .... we are seeing this nationwide.

Read about what is going on in the United Kingdom - they are finally getting fed up with all their Members of Parliament. Party doesn't matter in a crisis - people are beginning to understand (in some parts of the country) that it's NOT about Politics .... it's about the rotten, self serving politicians.

Way past time to throw ALL the bums out - that's exactly what the Brits are getting ready to do. Who would have ever though that they would figure it out way before we have?
I pretty much agree with you but why won't the voters do it? Who knows? i don't think they are all jerks just 90% of them.

Nita

Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,333,939 times
Quote:
I pretty much agree with you but why won't the voters do it? Who knows? i don't think they are all jerks just 90% of them.

Nita
From what I can ascertain, the vast majority know only what they read on the slate mailers that come to their homes and what they hear during the political advertisements on radio or see on television. What's worse is that they believe them. All too many also vote the way their labor union or other organizations tells them to.

Finally, for some strange and unbeknownst reason, people who complain incessantly about the "government" are usually supportive of THEIR representatives, never suspecting, accepting or believing that they are part of the problem.

Go figure!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:18 PM

889 posts, read 3,108,802 times
Quote:
Too much the land of opportunity, the land of the Beach boys and girls and the land of anything goes, eventually everything that comes around goes around. The charm is gone for many, the state is filled with crime, corruption, lazy people who think the term "laid back" means take from the government, smoke Pot, go surfing, hang out and live on berries and booze. I know I am probably over-doing it, but the once awesome place to live is gone for the time being. You still read about he hord of people, mostly kids in their 20s that think they can goes to California, make it big or can just lay back and enjoy the good life. I do think, eventully things will swing back and i do not think all of California has gone by the wasteside, I just think the entire state needs to wake up to realitiy.

Nita
Honestly, dont agree with the assesment of lazy people, smoke pot,surf to take from the goverment.Most "people" who take/took from the goverment have been Illegal's who figured out the system long before anyone else.Blame the goverment and the "freebie' money.Plop a baby out on the San Diego/Mexico border and you have signed up for the biggest meal ticket of yor life.You have the baby in Calif. for free and you baby is now a U.S citizen all paid for by the goverment.
Also over inflated home prices, lenders begging you to take your equity and spend, spend, spend.
Yes, do agree with waking up to "reality".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California