Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 PM

230 posts, read 599,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I gotta tell you ... we are not scared.
Probably because we are so "trashy and scary".
You have to remember that majoun is a Bay-Area liberal who thinks that career legislators are a good idea and has a rather low opinion of you folks out there in "flyover country" (Indiana is full of KKK, Texans are "trashy and scary", etc.). I doubt he has ever lived in Texas; he clearly doesn't understand the state or its people, judging from his attempt to make predictions of its future within the framework of what's happened to California.

No offense, majoun. But it is the height of chutzpah for a Californian to say he's worried about Texas. WE'RE the ones circling the bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
You have to remember that majoun is a Bay-Area liberal who thinks that career legislators are a good idea
Because the part time legislators in Rhode Island, New Jersey, Nevada, Louisiana, etc. have done such a GREAT job and the people who would be part time legislators in California are the very same types of people who fill the legislature right now : people who have no contact with the reality of CA.

If you'd read my posts I've praised Texas' more small business friendly policies and think California could learn from them.

Quote:
and has a rather low opinion of you folks out there in "flyover country" (Indiana is full of KKK, Texans are "trashy and scary", etc.).
I'm one generation removed from "flyover country".

I did not say that ALL Texans were trashy and scary, I've been in Texas, have Texan friends, and know very well that is not the case. Yet there are SOME Texans who fall into that category, and I was specifically referring to said people, not all Texans. They are not the majority. Texans themselves will admit this. For example some of the crap that Texans themselves say about people in the far east of the state is worse than anything I've said. Not to mention Houston being reknowned as a ghetto city.

I actually like Austin and San Antonio, even though I'm obviously out of tune politically with the latter (it's Dem but conservative). Houston, OTOH - you couldn't get me out of there fast enough! But not everyone there is either a thug/gang banger/hood or a Bush loving oil billionaire. There are plenty of good people there, even though it's a city that's even easier to hate for an outsider than L.A. is.

Most Texans are actually good, straight ahead, down to earth people despite my political disagreements with a large number of them, and Texas has contributed a lot to America as a whole. I think Texas should enjoy its own culture and should be spared the same phenomenon of its culture being watered down due to being overwhelmed - which is what happened to California.

The historical presence of the Klan on a scale larger than any other northern state in Indiana is FACT. I doubt there is much KKK presence there nowadays but there's definitely still racism and prejudice. Not that CA doesn't have those things either, and yes, that is including the Bay Area. And once again not everyone in Indiana is a bad person! There is no state in the US that doesn't have good people and there is no state in the US that doesn't have bad people.

CA has more to worry about than Texas does right now, but you guys should be careful with attracting too many newcomers lest you lose your heritage and traditions like SoCal has or see them watered down like the Bay Area has.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 PM

341 posts, read 688,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Hopefully that works out for you. As I said, we had the same plans when we moved away, but it hasn't worked out that way. It might be due to our family situation where we tend to spend our CA visits with them and not driving around to see the places we used to enjoy - it's tough to pack each trip and see everything and everyone you want to. And with all of the places we enjoyed going (just in NorCal), chances are, it will take years for us to get around to seeing them all again. When we lived there, we saw most of them during the span of a summer. We've enjoyed Colorado, but miss a great deal of the natural beauty CA has to offer.

Best of luck in your decision.
We are young retirees and unless the kids come with us we will have kids here with property that we can park our trailer on for 2 or 3 months at a time. I think we will pick the summer months to leave Texas This should give us plenty of time to visit Ca. and family. I hope it works out cuz I don't want to move twice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California