Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM

46 posts, read 171,305 times

Advertisements

Hello-

I will be graduating from nursing school next year and am planning on relocating to CA. I'm from a pretty small town (pop 5000) in CO and would like to find something similar in CA. I think I would like northern CA more, but I'm willing to look all over. As long as it's relatively small, and there is a hospital I can get hired at, I'll be happy! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate seeing any cost of living approximations.

Thanks,
Katie
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_c_s View Post
Hello-

I will be graduating from nursing school next year and am planning on relocating to CA. I'm from a pretty small town (pop 5000) in CO and would like to find something similar in CA. I think I would like northern CA more, but I'm willing to look all over. As long as it's relatively small, and there is a hospital I can get hired at, I'll be happy! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate seeing any cost of living approximations.

Thanks,
Katie
Katie, towns that small in Ca with hospitals may not be too easy to find. Probably you will need to choose a city and drive a few miles to the hospital. There are some small, very charming towns north of Sacramento that might work for you, even if they have more like 10,000 people. You may also look toward Sonoma county.
Nita

Old 06-04-2009, 02:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Feather River Hospital is located in northern CA in a small mountain town called Paradise. It is about 1.5 hours north of Sacramento and 4 hours from the San Francisco Bay area. Chico State university is down in the valley about 8 miles and the city of Chico has a wonderful hospital and plenty of shopping. My friend is a nurse at the F.R hospital and loves working there.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,171 times
Jackson California in the Sierra foothills and the hospital in Jackson is Sutter Amador Hospital

Last edited by humboldtrat; 06-04-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,642 times
Katie, look at Murphys, Angels Camp, Arnold areas. Beautiful small towns and situated between hospitals in San Andreas and Sonora. East of Stockton 1 hour and towns with smaller than 5K people.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 PM

34 posts, read 174,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie_c_s View Post
Hello-

Thanks,
Katie
try santa paula about 30k people.theres
about 6-8 hospitals in a 30 mile radius.small town feel,friendly people
hospital jobs in the area pay well and cost of living is affordable now.
not the case before.housing bust really dropped prices. weather is beautiful yearound

Old 06-05-2009, 11:28 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Hi Katie,

We just moved from CO to CA ~ 1 year ago. We are now living in Monterey with a population of ~30,000. We love living in the area because it is far enough away from the larger cities of the bay area. And we have Big Sur in our backyard which is one of the most beautiful sections of the CA coast. There are several good hospitals in the area including CHOMP, Salinas Memorial and a VA.

For you the real question will be do you want to live closer to the coast or the mtns. If the mtns. then check out places near the Sierra Foothills as were mentioned above. BTW the smaller towns of CA of some of the best parts of the state now IMO. Cities like LA, SF and SD are way too crowded for me anymore.

Derek

Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,091 times
I lived in the bay area and plan to go back after the military, but the East Bay has some really nice, smaller size towns - Danville, Pleasanton, Dublin, Walnut Creek, Alamo. I know there's a hospital in Hayward (where I was born) and that wouldn't be a far commute from those towns I listed. Just a suggestion of somewhere to look into. Good luck with your endeavours!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat02 View Post
I lived in the bay area and plan to go back after the military, but the East Bay has some really nice, smaller size towns - Danville, Pleasanton, Dublin, Walnut Creek, Alamo. I know there's a hospital in Hayward (where I was born) and that wouldn't be a far commute from those towns I listed. Just a suggestion of somewhere to look into. Good luck with your endeavours!
Hayward's not a small town, just an economically declining East Bay suburb.

If they want small town rural California living, the far north seems the place to go, from Sonoma to Del Norte counties....

Here's a list of hospitals in Humboldt County:

Hospitals: Humboldt County, CA - Eureka, Arcata, Fortuna, Ferndale (http://www.humboldtcounty.com/hospitals.htm - broken link)

Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM

701 posts, read 2,030,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Hayward's not a small town, just an economically declining East Bay suburb.

If they want small town rural California living, the far north seems the place to go, from Sonoma to Del Norte counties....

Here's a list of hospitals in Humboldt County:

Hospitals: Humboldt County, CA - Eureka, Arcata, Fortuna, Ferndale (http://www.humboldtcounty.com/hospitals.htm - broken link)
I was referring to the nearby towns, where she could consider living, then commuting to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California