Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM

5 posts, read 13,134 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to CA with my 15 yr old son..I would love to take a trip prior to the move but cannot afford to do both. So I am doing what research I can online - looking at schools, (preferably an outside the box program for son who receives SPED services) and grad school for myself -(just finished BS in Sociology) my son and I are both a bit ecclectic - he's more of the coffehouse guitar player with a book in his bag - I'd like to have a yard w/ a garden without being in the boonies. Looking to escape NE winters (lived in Mass most of my life) so looking for something in between Northern and Southern California - not Big city dwellers -prefer the fringe - some of the places I have been looking at are; Santa Cruz, Placerville, Roseville, Marysville, Yuba City, Santa Clara, and Petaluma and any areas in and around...We're not cookie cutters that are looking to move to Wisteria Lane where entire developments have been built for expediency and profit in a year by the same contractor - prefer some character - diversity - yadda yadda.. lol..I grew up extremely disadvantaged in one of the wealthiest towns on Cape Cod - "make do" and overcoming adversities are part of life - I currently reside in Berkshire County (Pittsfield - city of approx. 50,000) There are some reasons that are compelling us to move and so we are trying to make this as positive as possible - so any suggestions - pro's and con's would be appreciated..Thanks for your time..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
What line of work are you in?
Where are you going to work?
What is your budget for housing?
How old is the kid?
Where are your folks?
Is the kid's dad cool with him relocating to CA?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 13,134 times
Default The Post contains some of the answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What line of work are you in?
Where are you going to work?
What is your budget for housing?
How old is the kid?
Where are your folks?
Is the kid's dad cool with him relocating to CA?
I didn't realize their was an interview process in seeking information on a community/county within CA, but happy to indulge to a point. Some of the questions you ask are answered within the post itself - did you read it completely? It says I am looking to go to school - I did not post a ? about work at this time - not seeking counsel or information regarding that at this time, nor was I inquiring about the job market. 2nd ? - Is there a income requirement for moving? Do I need to come with or earn a certain amount of money to be allowed in? I have read the forums for this and many other areas - I am aware "it's expensive" I am aware the unemployment rates are rising everywhere - I am aware we are in a "recession" and/or "depression" depending on who you are, where you live, how you live and what you believe. 3rd ? I believe the first sentence of my post says the age of "the kid"... 4th ? I did not mention my folks, have none but thanks for asking. 5th question - he doesn't have a father - sensitive issue - is why I didn't mention it or divulge that information withing my post. Thank you for responding to my post - I think. I guess the inquisitiveness felt a bit too personal and raised my hackles a bit - thank you for your time and sharing...

Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
You asked our suggestions on where you may be interested in moving to. In order to narrow your search and for us to be more helpful we need to know more specifics. Charles was only trying to help.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
It is because your question is so general and a bit dreamy that one needs more realistic facts to even know where to start. A job is important unless you have other means of paying the bills and living in the communities with nicer schools. I tried to address this in your other post asking the same questions. You asked for pros/cons and one of the biggest factors to consider is finding a job to pay for the lifestyle (good area, schools, etc...) you seek.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,720 times
Santa Cruz, Santa Clara, and Petaluma (and their surrounding areas) are very expensive places to live.

Placerville and Roseville would be less expensive.

Marysville and Yuba City would be the cheapest of this list.

Have you done a cost of living calculator for these cities to see how they compare to where you live now? I'd start there.

Santa Clara is fairly urban, so if you don't want to be a city-dweller, skip that one.

Also, you say you want to be between northern and southern CA, but all of these are pretty much northern CA. Is there a reason you chose them? Might help narrow things down.

As far as grad schools, have you looked at which universities in CA offer the program you want? Marysville and Yuba City are a haul from the nearest college. There are colleges in the Sacramento area and of course several in the Bay Area. Are you willing to pay out of state tuition? You wouldn't have CA residency for a while.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:33 AM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times
Well, I think it's very expensive but do-able if you get the right job. Just in terms of cost:

Moving from East Coast - 4000 bucks
Out of state tuition UC - 27k
1 bedroom apt rents w/ no amenities - 1050

I can say my husband has been looking for a job for almost a year and it hasn't been pretty. He just got rejected for a $9/hour job (and was making 37k back home). And I just got laid off (but have another prospect). The economy is worse here than the east coast (Santa Cruz unemployment = 12%; check out U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).

I would say, do a little test - apply for 10 jobs and see how many interviews you get (via email so they think you are local). Maybe you are one of the lucky ones in the right niche

Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
Chico... even better,, the outskirts,, sounds like it just might fit you perfectly.. probably the most affordable/diverse of all your choices

Santa Cruz for the beach.. and liberalism

UC schools in both places.. which helps for diversity and for coffeehouses,,,

Good advice by others... moving costs might be higher,, unless its one trailer and a uhaul

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
UC schools in both places.. which helps for diversity and for coffeehouses,,,
not to be picky, but Chico is a state school.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:56 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary_now View Post
I am considering a move to CA with my 15 yr old son..I would love to take a trip prior to the move but cannot afford to do both. So I am doing what research I can online - looking at schools, (preferably an outside the box program for son who receives SPED services) and grad school for myself -(just finished BS in Sociology) my son and I are both a bit ecclectic - he's more of the coffehouse guitar player with a book in his bag - I'd like to have a yard w/ a garden without being in the boonies. Looking to escape NE winters (lived in Mass most of my life) so looking for something in between Northern and Southern California - not Big city dwellers -prefer the fringe - some of the places I have been looking at are; Santa Cruz, Placerville, Roseville, Marysville, Yuba City, Santa Clara, and Petaluma and any areas in and around...We're not cookie cutters that are looking to move to Wisteria Lane where entire developments have been built for expediency and profit in a year by the same contractor - prefer some character - diversity - yadda yadda.. lol..I grew up extremely disadvantaged in one of the wealthiest towns on Cape Cod - "make do" and overcoming adversities are part of life - I currently reside in Berkshire County (Pittsfield - city of approx. 50,000) There are some reasons that are compelling us to move and so we are trying to make this as positive as possible - so any suggestions - pro's and con's would be appreciated..Thanks for your time..
I responded to your other thread with a bit of information and a link to another thread that had some posts of mine regarding S.C. county.
But i felt compelled this morning to respond to your post more directly.
It's difficult to get a sense of a place from other people if they're not so hip as to where you are coming from (hence the too personal and often irrelevant questions). Perhaps i am keyed in enough to give you some helpful information. I dunno.
Anyway, I'll say, once again, after re-reading your post, you may really appreciate Santa Cruz county.
The wonderful thing about many places in the county is that you can be immersed in nature without being in the "boonies".
For your son, if you're sufficiently satisfied with the school system, this might be a wonderful place for him.
Of all the towns that you mentioned, Santa Cruz is the most open, diverse, tolerant, "eclectic", progressive, etc., etc.
But don't limit yourself to the town of Santa Cruz only. There is also Capitola, Aptos, Soquel and Watsonville (although be careful with much W.)
Santa Cruz county is considered one of the most bike friendly places in the county.
It's very easy to get around and since you're son probably isn't driving yet, know that the bus system is so good that other counties across the u.s. have studied it in order to improve their own.
No matter where you are in the county, you'll have easy access to everything.
For the guitar playing coffee house guy, this just may be heaven for him.
There are coffee houses, a good music scene, relatively easy access to San Franciso, diversity in the youth and an openess toward all expression.
It's easy to be yourself here, no matter who you are, young or old., rich (we'd prefer they leave), poor, anywhere in between, male, female, gay, straight, hippie, not so hip, etc., etc.
UCSC is here.
The Monterey bay is a beautidul place to be.
Santa Cruz in on the top part of the bay.
Since you grew up on the cape, perhaps the ocean is important to you.
Here it will be close no matter where you live and with easy access to it.
Dolphins, whales, sea otters, seals, etc.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 06-06-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California