Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:20 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to fuel the flame between these two states, but: Zócalo Public Square :: Is Texas Becoming a California Colony?

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Texas is 'stealing' from us, though their governors have not hidden the fact that they are courting California companies. I am in overall agreement with his conclusion though, California should be more focused on whether we can continue to be the place where companies like Google, Apple, Netflix etc., are born and rise to success and less on how Texas is attractive to those companies for satellite departments/offices.

Thoughts? I know other states are also dealing with similar California colonies (Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon...), but I think it is less of an issue there as it would be in a state like Texas that is so proud to NOT be like California.

[Note: let's not make this a hate thread. Those tend to be unproductive and redundant.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM

444 posts, read 665,774 times
The numbers of Californians relocating to Texas have been greatly exaggerated by Texans. "Colonization" is the wrong word by the writer but it's more of a cultural and business expansion into a large market.

Quote:
43,000 people left Texas for California in 2012. As shares of each state's population, 63,000 Californians and 43,000 Texans add up to the same insignificant number -- 0.0016%.
California vs. Texas: Which model is shape of the future? [Commentary] - Baltimore Sun

Last edited by mongozx; 05-29-2014 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
Im all for the repopulating of a population by a more intelligent population.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
So much for not making this a hate thread...

Texas has many things to offer. It offers businesses a much easier environment to operate. It offers employees a much cheaper cost-of-living. Coming from Texas, I can tell you that it's not so much they hate being like Californians, it's just they don't care what California is like. They lead their own lives and don't really worry about what anyone else thinks.

There are many things to like about Texas. But there are many things that will keep Californians away...especially the weather. You just can't beat what we have here and it's extremely hard to adapt to Texas weather after living here. People will pay a premium to be in a good location, and California is certainly a good location.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM

462 posts, read 742,092 times
Quote:
Dont Flatter yourself, there are plenty of brainless herp derpers in CA.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
So much for not making this a hate thread...

That's why he has "pirahna" in his name - thay are a fish that troll the waters.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
I guess its payback for the hundreds of thousands of Texans who moved here during California's 20th century boom. From the Great Depression to Reagan's defense industry boom time of the 1980s they swarmed the place along with everyone else. I can't count the Texans I personally know, or who's children I know or friends of my parents.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Dont Flatter yourself, there are plenty of brainless herp derpers in CA.
yes, and many of them are moving to Texas.

But when the bar is already set low, even our morons will help those states increase their intellectual capacity.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
That's why he has "pirahna" in his name - thay are a fish that troll the waters.
I don't think a troll would have over 2900 reps (I got 4 on this thread alone)

Old 05-29-2014, 03:31 PM

462 posts, read 742,092 times
Quote:
yes, and many of them are moving to Texas.

But when the bar is already set low, even our morons will help those states increase their intellectual capacity.
LOL, if you say so. This post reeks of trolllolololol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California