U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 AM

45 posts, read 102,136 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate from Southern IN (just outside Louisville, KY) due to our 2-year old son's severe allergies. Never been to CA, but it's an area we're considering (along with OR, ID, and CO). We will be flying into Portland in a week and driving all over OR then to Boise to fly home.

We love the stats. on OR but don't like the idea of a lot of rain & cloud, so are looking seriously at southern OR, say the the Ashland area. Given its close proximity to CA, we were wondering whether there are any places in northern CA that would meet our "wish list" and should considering visiting during our upcoming trip (though our itinerary is getting crammed):

HERE'S OUR WISH LIST: (in order)
1.) Low allergies (I suffer as well--Louisville, KY is current reigning allergy capital)
2.) Good schools
3.) Weather (want change of seasons with no prolonged extremes...I hate IN's scorching hot summers with high humidity, husband doesn't want weeks of snow on ground)
4.) Landscape/Scenery (would like lush green with pretty mountain views...don't like extreme flat, barren/brown, or desert/canyon look)
5.) Access to water for powerboating (within hour, water warm enough in summer for skiing, decent size body of water)
6.) Family/kid-friendly place, low crime/safe, etc.

We are late 30's and like being close to city with amenities but not necessarily living "in" big city (outskirts is fine as long as meets other needs). We currently live in town with "small town" feel within 15 minutes of Louisville, KY, and like the benefit/comfort/safety factor of living in smaller town.

We will be travelling with our 2-year old and my elderly parents (late 70's) so we definitely want to see all areas of strong interest but need to keep the # of places to the lowest possible. We're looking seriously at Hood River, Bend, Ashland, OR as well as Boise. We'd appreciate any & all suggestions of northern CA cities that we may be overlooking as we've never been to any of these places. THANKS!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:33 AM

7,376 posts, read 14,302,973 times
It looks like an "uprise" of Indianans to California lately.
I can tell you that southern Oregon and NorCal do cause people allergy problems.
Boise is hotter than &^%$ in the summer; just so you know.
If I were you, I'd have a look at Florence, OR or Newport, OR. These are very nice towns right on the Oregon coast. Sea breezes tend to knock the pollen inland here, but you might have some allergy days, depending on the allergen that's causing you the problem.
Actually, the downside to the two towns mentioned (and one thing you don't want) is that it does rain a lot there. Ashland is a good choice, as is Grants Pass. Medford blows chunks, so don't even think about it.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:50 AM

3,700 posts, read 13,734,804 times
Also consider the Salt Lake City area between Ogden and Provo. Green mountains to the east with many lakes. Schools are generally good and Utah isn't going broke as California is. Housing costs and taxes are lower than California. Allergies are a problem here in northern California.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:00 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,934,922 times
Inland California is hot in the summer. There are places that are scorching hot.
Along the northern coast there will be lots of fog and winters are very rainy.
I'm on the central coast in Santa Cruz. The rains are less intense in the winter and it's less foggy in the non-winter months but it's hugely expensive here and i don't know how it rates in terms of allergies. It is lush though.
There is conflict in your criteria.
That lushness that you want (although i'm not sure how you define "lush") will be closer to the coast where you'll be dealing with a lot of moisture.
Allergy sufferers tend to have issues with mold and mildew.
If you don't want the desert, barren, brown, etc., you won't like Boise.
And it gets extremely hot there in the summer.
I don't care for Boise.
And crime seems to be on the rise there.
I spend time during the winter months in the higher elevations of Idaho but pick up the Boise news channel and they're definitely dealing with an increase in crime ... or so it seems.
I don't know the stats.
You might consider Bend, OR.
I haven't been there but have heard good things about it.
It does snow there but i don't know to what degree.
I just read somewhere that Lake County in CA has the cleanest air in the state but i don't know about it in regards to allergies.
Your husband doesn't want snow but you're considering Colorado?
It snows a lot there. Huge amounts.
And where there is much less snow it is desert environment which you say you don't want.
You folks ever been out west?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 5,653,157 times
What line of work are you and/or husband in?

Look at Claremont, CA. It has everything on your list except powerboating.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 5,580,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
What line of work are you and/or husband in?
That was my first thought too. Given that California has an 11.5% unemployment rate and Oregon is at a 12.4% unemployment rate.

Jobs are available if someone has the right skill set. I hear all the time about employers who are looking for the skills they need, not just an employee.

But there wasn't enough info for me to recommend cities since I don't know type of employment the OP will seek.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I can tell you that southern Oregon and NorCal do cause people allergy problems. If I were you, I'd have a look at Florence, OR or Newport, OR. Ashland is a good choice, as is Grants Pass. Medford blows chunks, so don't even think about it.
Snort--We'll have a look at Florence & Newport, thanks for the tip. We've already gathered that Ashland would be a better fit for our criteria than Medford but were also considering Grants Pass, so that's validation. As for the allergy problems, I suppose everythings going to be a compromise--also there literally aren't any places worse than Louisville so nowhere to go but up.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Also consider the Salt Lake City area between Ogden and Provo. Green mountains to the east with many lakes.
humboldtrat--ironically we looked at those very towns, both Ogden and Provo. Initially we thought a high LDS population would be an asset; however, we have since come to view it differently as we fear our son may experience alienation. So we crossed off both towns and areas surrounding SLC, though it sounds beautiful.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Inland California is hot in the summer. There are places that are scorching hot.
Along the northern coast there will be lots of fog and winters are very rainy.
I'm on the central coast in Santa Cruz. The rains are less intense in the winter and it's less foggy in the non-winter months but it's hugely expensive here and i don't know how it rates in terms of allergies. It is lush though.
There is conflict in your criteria.
That lushness that you want (although i'm not sure how you define "lush") will be closer to the coast where you'll be dealing with a lot of moisture.
Allergy sufferers tend to have issues with mold and mildew.
If you don't want the desert, barren, brown, etc., you won't like Boise.
And it gets extremely hot there in the summer.
I don't care for Boise.
And crime seems to be on the rise there.
I spend time during the winter months in the higher elevations of Idaho but pick up the Boise news channel and they're definitely dealing with an increase in crime ... or so it seems.
I don't know the stats.
You might consider Bend, OR.
I haven't been there but have heard good things about it.
It does snow there but i don't know to what degree.
I just read somewhere that Lake County in CA has the cleanest air in the state but i don't know about it in regards to allergies.
Your husband doesn't want snow but you're considering Colorado?
It snows a lot there. Huge amounts.
And where there is much less snow it is desert environment which you say you don't want.
You folks ever been out west?
coyoteskye--we've only been out west once, to WA and Alaska last summer. Travelled extensively abroad, south, and north, though not much east or west. You're right about lush being a relative term...what I mean is enough green, not just desert and canyon. And yes, I have a feeling that Boise won't be a good fit for the reasons you mentioned though husband kind of got "stuck" on Boise during this search so we're going to visit to try it out. I'll ck further into the crime stats., that's good to know.

As for snow...personally I don't mind snow, it's the ice that I hate. We've been having a lot more ice storms in southern IN the last few years than big snows. Husband can compromise on some snow but just would prefer it not be on the ground for days/weeks at a time. I can handle the snow much better than I can the horrible heat & humidity, whereas he likes some heat to boat/swim/water ski. So it's all about compromise (isn't all marriage? CO ended up on our list b/c it seemed to fit a lot of other criteria.

As for allergies, yes, we are both allergic to dust, molds, and a zillion other things; however, I've learned that it's not simply a matter of whether these allergens are present. For example, the Ohio Valley where we live has allergens present in great abundance but what's even worse is that it all gets trapped in the valley & the air is stagnant for prolonged periods. A few hours NE in Chicago, they probably have many of the same allergens though they are supposedly one of the best places to live for allergies (I'm assuming due to the lake winds moving the air?) So it's more complicated than you'd expect & difficult to predict. In an even stranger twist, it's often not the cities with the "cleanest air" or the least amt. of pollution that are the most allergy-friendly. Go figure...

Old 06-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
That was my first thought too. Given that California has an 11.5% unemployment rate and Oregon is at a 12.4% unemployment rate.

Jobs are available if someone has the right skill set. I hear all the time about employers who are looking for the skills they need, not just an employee.

But there wasn't enough info for me to recommend cities since I don't know type of employment the OP will seek.
Timelesschild--I checked out Claremont and it looks beautiful though its close proximity to LA would be an issue due to traffic/congestion/crime, and all else that goes along with being so close to such a huge city.

As for the job issue...I'm a school psychologist (not the same as a school counselor) so have a very specific skill set. I have 12 years experience and, after working in 3 school corporations, finally landed my "dream" job 3 years ago that I'd hate to leave. Obviously, however, we'll do whatever we need to for our son. I'm currently getting paid a very competitive salary and realize I will likely incur a significant job cut if we move. My job search would be specific to school systems and there is a great demand for school psychs. even in spite of the economy. My husband is an entrepreneur and owns 3 small local businesses...similarly, it would be hard (though not impossible) for him to leave--he'll essentially have to sell them and start over with something else. With his skill set and personality I think he'll succeed wherever though he may have to tough it out a bit until the economy brightens up...Even after we narrow our search we'd probably have to move where I got a job offer--he'd most likely have to grow his gradually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California