Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM

30 posts, read 366,096 times

Advertisements

I have some friends who are on disability and they have always had more luck finding rent controlled apartments outside of the bigger cities, so yes as someone said I would really look at roseville, rocklin, folsom and those areas just outside of Sacramento, I think you will find much nicer apartment options!

Although less to do maybe, but its not that bad of a drive into Sac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
Hey, Wanda Jackson, the Queen of Rockabilly grew up there! LOL

But, no, I wouldn't move there either!

Both of you have clearly not been to Bakersfield lately.

(And, no, I don't live there. That's not why I said that.)

Old 05-01-2007, 03:46 PM

24 posts, read 141,118 times
wow, im not a narrow minded redneck or anything, but just wondering if it wouldnt be better for you to not start off being kinda prejudice?
dont get me wrong, everyone is entiltle to their opinion, but im just saying.. probably not a good idea to start out offending people...

Last edited by Calibelle; 05-03-2007 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: No reason to judge this person and ask whether or not she likes mexicans. That has nothing to do with her question.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,468 times
Default Sac?

I used to live fairly close to Sacramento, and my cousin's husband is a police officer there. They live in a fairly expensive neighborhood ($500K homes) and have toilet papered yards, egged yards, vanadlism, etc. I'm not sure what is going on in other neighborhoods but they're kind of picky about residences.

Gang stuff is huge there too for some reason...

Just passing along what I know (not much) about Sac. I think it's good to get as much input as possible from varied sources and go from there. You never know though, you might love Sacramento. I really like to visit there, but am sort of afraid to live there.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:42 PM

10 posts, read 36,093 times
You are the only member here who has said to me and if you were to be from New Orleans and live in Baton Rouge (they hate us) YOU would be a little more sympathetic instead of judging what I KNOW to be true.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 36,093 times
Default Appreciate It

I really appreciate everyone's input about moving to California. I found out that a moving van to the Sac area will be at least $5K and I really want to buy a house. Though I'm desperate to leave LA, I'm thinking of waiting until I get something published (I write).

Anyway, with the exception of one person, everyone's been most helpful and I appreciate the hospitality.

Peace and Blessings

Willow

Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowmena View Post
I'm thinking about moving to Ca. from Baton Rouge, LA. I'm not from BR and I can't stand it. People are narrow minded, redneck and lack presence of mind. I'm looking for somewhere cool, diverse but safe for me and my daughter, age 13, who has some problems. I'm on disability but I hope to be off it someday so cost is an issue. I was thinking about Sacramento but I'm not sure after reading some of the posts here. I'm originally from New Orleans, so culture and food is important to us. Any thoughts about good places to live in California or elsewhere? Any help you can give will be appreciated
I'm originally from Louisiana, but I've been in California for the last 30 years. I currently live in the Sacramento metro area. You will find a culturally diverse population here and in every other large metropolitan area in California. You need to be prepared for the high cost of housing here. You will get a lot less for your money here. If you are unemployed and without a large amount of money for a down payment, it will be difficult, if not impossible to buy a home here. I suggest that you check out the on-line home listings in California if you have not already done so. The overall cost of living in California is much higher than in Louisiana. Property tax is high. If you are a single parent trying to raise your daughter on your own, I would recommend that you check out other states as well where the cost of living is lower. If you still decide to come to California, the Sacramento area will be less expensive than the San Francisco bay area or the Los Angeles area. Citrus Heights, a suburb of Sacramento, is a nice town. Police protection has greatly improved in Citrus Heights since the city formed its own police force. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California