Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
So you think California should raise its property taxes because the industries which once had plants in that state and paid taxes are now in China? If you were governor they would hate your guts. I guess outsourcing thousands of jobs in that state was not the reason they are falling behind in payroll taxes. The more I hear what you have to say the more I think you are like Eliot Spitzer, the once governor of New York. By the way the commercial real estate market in NYC is dead. So you have no idea what is going on here. There are home foreclosures all over Westchester and Long Island so you are also wrong about that as well.
User_Id has some valid points on the property taxes, but you have to be willing to take your blinders off to understand them. Texas has a brutal property tax rate, but people are moving there in droves precisely because those high taxes kept property values down.

I'm curious. How does the foreclosure rate in Westchester compare to Riverside?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
User_Id has some valid points on the property taxes, but you have to be willing to take your blinders off to understand them. Texas has a brutal property tax rate, but people are moving there in droves precisely because those high taxes kept property values down.

Riverside where? The high taxes did not keep the home values down in New York. Better schools, police departments and road system make the suburbs of New York very expensive to live in. We have seen homes for sale every where because the taxes are getting out of hand. With the housing market dead people are tightening their belts and that means little or no luxury spending.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Yeah I see bad times ahead for New York. I hear it all the time from my neighbors. Many of them are working part time jobs atop of their full time ones just to stay afloat.
Maybe New York can follow California's example putting a few hundred thousand aside to study Sea Otters?

Any truth to this?

Did you know that in the tiny City of Vernon, California, population of LESS than 95 PEOPLE, TAXPAYERS are dishing out MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of real dollars EACH and EVERY YEAR in "Retirement Salaries?"

Get ready to REVOLT.

Former City Manager BRUCE MALKENHORST makes $41,639.57 each and every month, for the rest of his life or $499,674.84 per year. Malkenhorst, 71, was for 32 years the city administrator as well as clerk, finance director, treasurer, redevelopment agency secretary and chief executive of the utility Vernon Light & Power. Here are the rest of the Vernon Millionaire Club whom none of us have every heard of, and who we are supporting lavishly for the rest of their lives.

DAVID BREARLEY brings home $14,618.22 each month and $175,418.64 each year, and VICTOR VAITS makes $13,449.45 each month for a total of $161,393.40 annually and on, and on and on.
Here's more. Stop if you feel sick to your stomach:
BRUCE OLSON: $13,104.30 Monthly and $157,251.00 Yearly
STEVEN PARKER $10,646.00 Monthly and $127,752.00 Yearly.
LYNNE TELFORD $10,609.07 and $127,308.8 yearly.
LOUIS ROSENKRANTZ $10,204.03 and $122,448.36
LARRY SPADT $9,218.18 and $110,618.16
GARY WISKUS $8,988.99 and $107,867.88
JAMES PERSONS $8,921.54 and $107,058.48
KENNETH DEDARIO $8,566.84 and $102,802.08
JAMES WOHLT $8,518.59 and $102,223.08
RICHARD WILES $8,491.65 and $101,899.80
JAMES SMITH $8,454.74 and $101,456.88

Vernon is the most polluted, ego greedy city in America. California voters need to start a MOVEMENT here to STOP folks like retired City Manager Bruce Malkenhorst from making almost $500,000.00 each year, every year, for the REST of his LIFE.

Look at the loot these VERNON fat cats make annually, then MULTIPLY that by TENS of THOUSANDS of more FAT CAT retirements and it adds UP to MULTI BILLIONS of real PUBLIC DOLLARS each and EVERY YEAR .

Only 92 people live in Vernon.

There are no parks, schools, libraries, health clinics or grocery stores. The only four restaurants close by 4 p.m. By sundown the 44,000 workers who commute here have all fled the stench of the place many call the Arm Pit of California.

The next time you go through Vernon, on the 5 Freeway in the shadow of Downtown Los Angeles, do me a favor and JUST keep DRIVING and call 911 because this is a city with a political crime wave that is totally out of control.

Shame on US for allowing this to HAPPEN!
Randy Economy

Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Riverside where? The high taxes did not keep the home values down in New York. Better schools, police departments and road system make the suburbs of New York very expensive to live in. We have seen homes for sale every where because the taxes are getting out of hand. With the housing market dead people are tightening their belts and that means little or no luxury spending.
How about hookers and blow for the governor?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

You have to remmeber that texas has no income tax.High property taxes have not keep housing prices down. Alot has to do with teh cheap land price i Texas because of the available amounts of land. Texas also has a balanced budget and doesn'
t have the number of entitlement programs that california does. Bascially most Teans beleieve that taxes has to be a balance between property owners ;industry and commerical taxes.In most areas of teaxs for example taxes are frozen for those over 65 to allow them to stay in thier homes.Its all a balancing act really. If you lok at CValifornia thier problem does not stem from no money it comes from spending on entitlement programs the budget can't afford. Instead of lowering the defcit California has been increasin fees and borrowing to meet their needs for increased funding.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Did you know that in the tiny City of Vernon, California, population of LESS than 95 PEOPLE, TAXPAYERS are dishing out MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS of real dollars EACH and EVERY YEAR in "Retirement Salaries?"
This is such hogwash. Do you even live in California? Vernon is an industrial area in the Los Angeles metro area. The entire city is zoned for heavy industry, that is why its population is low. The area employs around 50,000 people.

The city needs a decent number of employees to function despite its low population. The wages are not that outrageous. $100k in the Los Angeles area is like making $50k in the mid-west.

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
CA deserves it. They let so many illegals in and they lived off the state for years. Just feel sorry for all ther Americans who suffered from this.
Unfortunately I have to agree.

People have to learn the hard way liberalism doesn't work. Paying benefits and health care to non citizens and handing out welfare and encouraging mediocrity leads to destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You have to remmeber that texas has no income tax.High property taxes have not keep housing prices down. Alot has to do with teh cheap land price i Texas because of the available amounts of land. Texas also has a balanced budget and doesn'
t have the number of entitlement programs that california does. Bascially most Teans beleieve that taxes has to be a balance between property owners ;industry and commerical taxes.In most areas of teaxs for example taxes are frozen for those over 65 to allow them to stay in thier homes.Its all a balancing act really. If you lok at CValifornia thier problem does not stem from no money it comes from spending on entitlement programs the budget can't afford. Instead of lowering the defcit California has been increasin fees and borrowing to meet their needs for increased funding.
I did not know that. New York has both income and property taxes. They are both high and really doing a job on people up here. I have had to raise my rents to compensate for the increase in taxes. Some of my tenants have seen salary cuts and they are lower middle class persons who are barely making it. Even I have made cuts this year to try to keep my rents down. We canceled our yearly cruise which comes out of my teaching salary so we would not have to hit my tenants for a huge increase.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How about hookers and blow for the governor?
That dude was gone in a New York minute.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,794,241 times
Quote:
Riverside where?
California. You know, the topic of the thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California