Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,316 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am probably moving to Fresno at the end of July for a job, but will not be able to go there beforehand to find a place to live. I have to rent site unseen. I can't live in a hotel or something like that while I look around b/c I have several pets. So I will be renting something short-term, like 3 or 6 months, while I learn more about different 'hoods and figure out where I want to settle down.

I found several, and I mean maybe 20 or so, amazing looking condos on craigslist. They are all in 2 different developments, but the photos, ammenities, etc. are nearly identical, so I assume they are run by the same company. Addresses are:

1254 E Shaw Ave 93710
and
3033 E Platt Ave 93721

They seem too good to be true. For example, they are brand new, or newly renovated - ads are a bit vague on this point. They look very nice - high end cabinetry, flooring, etc. Best for me, they offer short or long term rentals, all pets welcome, very low deposit, and security (not sure what that means, though). But they only cost $680-$850 or so. They are 1 bedroom, but still, that is so inexpensive! Both addresses are claimed to be "downtown", but they don't look DT to me on the map.

SO, can anyone tell me anything about these condos, either Platt or Shaw, OR the areas they are in?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
I wouldn't consider the Platt address, that is too much of a transitional neighborhood.

The Shaw address is between Fresno State and Fashion Fair Mall (about 1/2 mile to each), in the middle of a major activity and business area. I don't know enough specifics about that complex to help much beyond telling you the area has a high number of students nearby and also some low rent housing nearby.

Anywhere in Fresno is probably no more than a 20 minute drive or so from downtown. So you can probably expand your search.

Most of us on here suggest a couple of areas for apartments and condos.

If you want to be close to restaurants, shopping, health club, etc and are single then look into places near RiverPark, basically Nees Avenue from Palm Avenue to First Street (and nearby streets) in the 300, 400, and 500 blocks of East Nees. That is close to Highway 41 to get downtown.

A few of the complexes in that area to look at would be Windscape, River Park Place, etc.

Another area is Clovis, some newer apartments and condos are available within a mile or so of the intersection of Fowler and Herndon. They have easy access to highway 168 to get downtown (about 20 minute drive).

Downtown Fresno has been slowly improving for housing. But there are very few areas near downtown that I would suggest. It really is not an urban living area like New York, it still has few services and amenities available at night. Much of Fresno is based on a more suburban model.

If you really want to be downtown I'd suggest only looking at either the newer loft apartments by Reza Assemi (see the Urban Fresno site) north of the museums or a couple of cmplexes along Huntington Blvd like the Villa Borgata condos.
http://www.urbanfresno.com/
http://villaborgatahoa.com/index.html

Another area to look at would be rentals in the Tower District. That is the area around the intersection of Olive and Wishon. That is the trendy alternative area, probably the closest to an urban neighborhood right now. The area hosts events like film festivals, gay pride events, etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:51 PM

3 posts, read 17,316 times
Default "Thanks" Fresno Facts

Thanks to F.Facts - this goes for my other question about air and safety. Your replies are very helpful and much appreciated!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:02 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Not a problem.

If you run across any places you have questions about just post. There are a number of people on here who post good answers about the Fresno area.

If you missed it be sure to also read this thread, Adriatica and others gave some good advice on it just a week or so ago.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...se-fresno.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California