Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Have you checked out Oregons income tax? Property taxes? Curm I thought part of the reason you wanted to leave Ca was to save some $. Oregons up there is one of the higher tax states even though they have no sales tax. Keep looking.
Oh, we're not moving there. Our original plans still hold. We were simply struck by the very noticable differences between the two states that were so readily apparent in just a two-day, whirlwind turnaround.

Every state has its unique and memorable features and attributes but not every state is right for everybody. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Your comparison is mainly an urban vs rural one, not really a CA vs OR one. You could have just gone to the Redwood Coast of CA and made the same observations.

Also you need to shop around for a better deal on a car wash, I get my car washed and vacuumed for $12.
I've never paid to have a car washed in my life... there must be lots of people that do because within a couple of blocks from work are two new car washes... just about everyone I work with has their car washed...

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
If you consider Oregon a better option for you, then your observations certainly have no place in my life. Not all of CA is bad, and any place is what you make it. Spend enough time up there in podunk, and you just might get sick of it as well. Where to after that? The North Pole?

Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
If you consider Oregon a better option for you, then your observations certainly have no place in my life. Not all of CA is bad, and any place is what you make it. Spend enough time up there in podunk, and you just might get sick of it as well. Where to after that? The North Pole?
I didn't say it was a better option and my observations were just that and nothing more. It's different and some of the differences are appealing. We're moving to another state in a few months.

Of course not all of California is bad but it all has the same Legislature, laws, rules, regujlations, etc. I don't care to put up with and pay for any longer. That's all

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I didn't say it was a better option and my observations were just that and nothing more. It's different and some of the differences are appealing. We're moving to another state in a few months.

Of course not all of California is bad but it all has the same Legislature, laws, rules, regujlations, etc. I don't care to put up with and pay for any longer. That's all
Glad to hear you have made the decision Crumugeon. I know some ppl questioned whether you and ol' Escape would ever really move. But it sounds like you are sticking to your plan. So where are you headed to just out of curiousity?

Oregon is really a special place. Of course it is not perfect like anywhere. But it is definately green and beautiful. We almost moved there if it wasn't for family ties here and better job opportunities in CA. It wouldn't be a bad place to retire though. Of course they have all those dang liberal and crazy politicians like you dislike here. But at least you can go out and do some shootin' Just joking with you.

Derek

Old 06-26-2009, 12:38 AM

656 posts, read 1,309,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Okay, I guess that's not a comparison there. But keep telling yourself whatever you need to, you seem to do a good job at that.
why do you have to be rude? if you don't agree move along. you've made your point. this is HIS opinion why do you care anyway?

I just want to add that I can't wait to get out of CA too. this is not the CA i grew up in. and it's only getting worse.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:14 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
why do you have to be rude? if you don't agree move along. you've made your point. this is HIS opinion why do you care anyway?

I just want to add that I can't wait to get out of CA too. this is not the CA i grew up in. and it's only getting worse.
Hmm, I wonder if your agreement with the OP has anything to do with this?

Some people are just tired of the CONSTANT COMPLAINING about the state. This whole "this is not the CA I grew up in and it's only getting worse" is getting very tired - - just constant complaining from people. I'd love for all of you slow drivers to go 55 in the left-hand lane - - as long as you are leaving and not coming back!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't care to put up with and pay for any longer. That's all
How come things like "where my taxes go" don't have as such a profound effect on my life? I would never think of leaving ____ state because of where my taxes go.

For example:

(Unhappy person living in CA) Get up on Saturday morning, have breakfast, mow the lawn, watch TV, agonize the rest of the day over where my taxes go, and how I don't like that MY TAXES are paying for all the ______ to have ______ on my dime. Rinse, repeat.

(Formerly unhappy person in CA, now living in, let's say ID): Get up on Saturday morning, have breakfast, mow the lawn, watch TV, reflect blissfully for the rest of the day on how my taxes don't go to pay for all the ______ to have _______ on my dime. Rinse, repeat.

Why have the need to constantly agonize over where most likely (at most) 25% (middle to upper middle class) of your income is going? Instead, why not spend more time agonizing over the other 75%, and just give up on thinking that 25% was ever yours, and just live your life not worrying about that 25% of "your money".

Re: the original post, we get it.

California = bad

Oregon and everywhere else = good

Good luck to you in your new home state.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Many of us do not think everything in California is bad, we just have different ideas on what makes people happy. To you, Or and some smaller states (really OR isn't all that small) is podunk, to others we don't need to live someplace where constant entertainment is the only way to go, nor do we think we have to be entertained constantly or think life should be filled with instant gratification. We have a daughter (foster daughter) in Portland, she was raised in the bay area, but wouldn't return for anything except a visit. She seems to find plenty of things to do.

Nita

Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Hmm, I wonder if your agreement with the OP has anything to do with this?

Some people are just tired of the CONSTANT COMPLAINING about the state. This whole "this is not the CA I grew up in and it's only getting worse" is getting very tired - - just constant complaining from people. I'd love for all of you slow drivers to go 55 in the left-hand lane - - as long as you are leaving and not coming back!
But like it or not, that is true. California isn't the same as it used to be. If some think it has changed in the past 20 or 30 years, go back 50 or more. No place stays the same, some get getter with age, some not, California has grown too big, too crowded and more than anything right now has some less than promising laws plus a lousy set of legislatures. doesn't the constant conplaining make you realize, there are problems..

Nita

ps I will agree, if more people left, maybe there would be hope for the state again, but in the meanwhile elect some new people.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California