Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
According to Wikipedia, the average high temp in Eureka in January is 55F, and the average low is 41F. As you'll see in the photo below, you'll even see palm trees there:

I don't know if it EVER snows there, but if you're looking for lots and lots of snow, you won't find it along the California coast. You could drive into the mountains, however, and get your fix.
awesome picture of the Mansion on a very clear day, using all kinds of special cameras. I will add, what has been said already, why was this post re-activated after 4 years? What do ya bet the guy has moved and is long gone?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
NO SNOW. But thanks for posting the picture of my house.

That's where my French Maid lives.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
awesome picture of the Mansion on a very clear day, using all kinds of special cameras. I will add, what has been said already, why was this post re-activated after 4 years? What do ya bet the guy has moved and is long gone?
That's a very standard shot - no special camera needed - a regular SLR or DSLR and a competent photographer could duplicate it, easily. It's a beautiful photo - and I'm not denigrating the skill of the photographer who took it, when I say that. I just know, as a professional photographer myself, that the photo is beautiful because of the subject matter - not because of any trickery on the photographer's part.

And maybe the OP is long gone, but there are many many people who read these threads even years later, who appreciate the content.

And to add a little on topic content to this post... The Carson Mansion is commonly thought of as the best example of a Victorian Mansion in the entire nation - and it's one of the most photographed homes in the world. And when you see drawings of haunted mansions at Halloween, lots of them are based on this house. It's really a fascinating place! If you're interested in it's history, and more beautiful photos, including the interior, here's the web site! http://ingomar.org

Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
And to add a little on topic content to this post... The Carson Mansion is commonly thought of as the best example of a Victorian Mansion in the entire nation - and it's one of the most photographed homes in the world. And when you see drawings of haunted mansions at Halloween, lots of them are based on this house. It's really a fascinating place! If you're interested in it's history, and more beautiful photos, including the interior, here's the web site! The Ingomar Club, Carson Mansion- Eureka, California
Wow, that is some interior!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Wow, that is some interior!
I know! All the carved wood and the stained glass... Really spectacular!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
What's the atmosphere like in Eureka? Is it hippie, blue collar, stuck-up, touristy, insular, transient, conservative, liberal... Just wondering about the social atmosphere there.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
What's the atmosphere like in Eureka? Is it hippie, blue collar, stuck-up, touristy, insular, transient, conservative, liberal... Just wondering about the social atmosphere there.
Yes!

Old 09-12-2011, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 165,337 times
I must say that I too am interested in moving into the Eureka area as the climate actually appeals to me. We moved from WV to the Piedmont region of NC about 6 years ago. I know this is not the deep south but I absolutely hate the summers here!!! Nothing like TX for sure but days on end of 95 plus temps with high humidity is just awful. The wife said Charleston, SC and I said she'd be moving by herself. I am also considering the Fort Bragg area. As I said earlier the mild climate is what I am looking for. The job situation is what's holding me back as my industry is suffering the most. Keeping my eyes open for anything though.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:44 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
It's one of those love-it-or-hate-it climates. If your favorite weather consists of misty coolness, high humidity and gray skies -- and I'm talking about summer here -- then Eureka might be your cup of tea. It you like seasonal variation (and a traditional summer, in particular), abundant sunshine or balmy evenings, look elsewhere. The climate is a bit like San Francisco's with twice the rain, half the sunshine, and every minute of every day 3-4 degrees cooler.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
The climate is a bit like San Francisco's with twice the rain, half the sunshine, and every minute of every day 3-4 degrees cooler.
And that's just July through the first half of September!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California