Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

It CAN be on ok decision, but there are a lot of determining factors. Why not visit your relatives first, before making a big move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM

635 posts, read 1,654,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
It CAN be on ok decision, but there are a lot of determining factors. Why not visit your relatives first, before making a big move?
Yes...that is the plan. I figured I'd do some investigating now. If I meet all my family and find out their all freaks then I move to Branson, MO

Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
I knew from the title of your thread that you would be flooded with negatives from those who hate the state of California, but for some reason they stay and keep complaining about it. I can't be a hypocrite though, I do the same about my home state

I would say visit first, get a feel for the cost of living. I have had to stay in my abyss of nothingness and oblivion in Indiana and put off my California dream due to our wonderful economy. The negative people on here, as bad as it hurts to admit, are probably right. CA is in bad shape, but on the flip side it is still possible. If you want it go for it. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:24 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Really my biggest allure about CA is being reunited with family that I never knew and the beach....
I dont understand why the beach is so fascinating to so many people outside of California

A beach is a beach, sure its fun to visit from time to time, but it should be no reason to move somewhere because of it. I mean, all it is is water lapping up on a sandy shore. yeah its beautiful and all, but its not all that awesome really, haha

I guess im more of an inland lakes type person though I'd love to go fishing somewhere down south in Texas, or Arkansas or somewhere in the that neighborhood. Nice hot summer day, boat on the lake, a margarita, my fishing pole and my dog... thats all I need.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I knew from the title of your thread that you would be flooded with negatives from those who hate the state of California, but for some reason they stay and keep complaining about it. I can't be a hypocrite though, I do the same about my home state

I would say visit first, get a feel for the cost of living. I have had to stay in my abyss of nothingness and oblivion in Indiana and put off my California dream due to our wonderful economy. The negative people on here, as bad as it hurts to admit, are probably right. CA is in bad shape, but on the flip side it is still possible. If you want it go for it. Good luck!
LOL...yea I was askin for it. But you know we all got things to complain about. We have flooding and Tornados, not to mention some hitious looking bugs. Minimum wage is $7 an hour (was $5.25 less than a year ago). Many jobs here (SW corner of MO) don't pay over $10 an hour with a Bachelors degree. I started my job at $8 . We are the Meth capital of the country. I asked some under cover drug cops this question...WHY? They said because we are so rural (easy to hide) and we ar now in the middle of the traffic hub from Mexico to Texas to Oklahoma up to Missouri and so on. They just busted up a large Meth ring in a tiny town (4,000) just north of me. And you won't guess where the drugs came from.... California. So I guess we have a lot to complain about too...but I do get the point that California is in some serious trouble. Cost of Living, pollution, crime, illegal immigrants are just a few of CA's troubles.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I dont understand why the beach is so fascinating to so many people outside of California

A beach is a beach, sure its fun to visit from time to time, but it should be no reason to move somewhere because of it. I mean, all it is is water lapping up on a sandy shore. yeah its beautiful and all, but its not all that awesome really, haha

I guess im more of an inland lakes type person though I'd love to go fishing somewhere down south in Texas, or Arkansas or somewhere in the that neighborhood. Nice hot summer day, boat on the lake, a margarita, my fishing pole and my dog... thats all I need.
I might swap out a beach for a good Margaurita

Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I knew from the title of your thread that you would be flooded with negatives from those who hate the state of California, but for some reason they stay and keep complaining about it.
Because unlike you I am not a rootless nihilist.

I refuse to yield to the carpetbaggers.

I know it's probably a losing cause.

But I just want to stay stuck in your craw, reminding you that California was not always the land of fruits, nuts, Commies and illegals.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Because unlike you I am not a rootless nihilist.

I refuse to yield to the carpetbaggers.

I know it's probably a losing cause.

But I just want to stay stuck in your craw, reminding you that California was not always the land of fruits, nuts, Commies and illegals.

amen to that

Old 07-02-2009, 04:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
I am working here in Missouri. The same agency is in CA too.
Does this mean you have a guaranteed transfer within the agency? Meaning, you will have a job in California? If not, what does it mean? If it does, do you get a bump up in pay? What will your housing budget be? (I scanned the thread but I may have missed this info.)

Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Yes...that is the plan. I figured I'd do some investigating now. If I meet all my family and find out their all freaks then I move to Branson, MO
I'm precisely the opposite of you and one of those traitorous California natives embarking on a reverse Dust Bowl move in the next month or two.

Interesting enough, we're heading to the lakes area (Table Rock and Taneycomo) to look at several houses our realtor is ready to show us. We've done a lot of research. Here are some simple findings.

We're both now retired so our income won't increase appreciatively from here-on-out. Making the move will ultimately save us between $15,000 to $20,000- each year. That's money in the bank for travel or a new boat every year if we wanted to be foolish.

Other considerations are friendly peolple, more of a small-town, cooperative, really get to know your neighbors atmosphere. The pace of life is slower, the crime is lesser and the lakes and rolling Ozarks are beautiful. The birds are more colorful, you can hear crickets and frogs at night and there are fireflys.

There are four, not too severe and distinct seasons with just enough snow in winter to make it enjoyable. Summer humidity can be held at bey with air conditioning and we won't have to go out in it if we don't want to. We won't have to work and don't intend to. Besides, the car is air conditioned too. Ice storms add spice to life and aren't anything a good generator can't make bearable. Finally, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats summer thunder and lightening storms at night.

By all means, come and check out California and your relatives but keep in mind the things you'll end up missing and ask yourself if joining the rat-race here would really be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California