Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
...putting a slutty flight-attendant type within striking distance of the presidency...
This is a total crack up. "Flight attendant type".

But seriously, do you think the slight voting tendencies of one state over another really makes much difference? It's like "So what?", your life is affected by so many other things like job availability, housing prices, amenities, community size (which sort of drives amenities), taxes, and climate. I don't think any one state is extreme red or extreme blue. And you'll find blue people in red states and vice versa.

Last edited by Charles; 07-07-2009 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:16 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
I could never move to a state that voted republican in either of the last two elections. I'll give the Bush
folks a pass on the first term, no one could have foreseen the impending disaster, but getting bit a second time really says a lot about the brain-power of these places. Then putting a slutty flight-attendant type within striking distance of the presidency during the last election? I can't be with those people.
You must be quite young. You fail to realize, until fairly recently, California generally voted Republican. That was, until it was taken over by carpetbagger communists from back east and abroad.

TAKE BACK CALIFORNIA!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
Everybody I know that moved out of Ca ended up coming back. I know I will not leave Ca because the weather here is too good. I dont want to deal with hot weather nor cold weather. Ca is just right plus my job pays alot more here than it would in most other states.
well how about that and all but 2 families I know that left did not come back. One couple moved to Vegas, couldn't wait to get back to Ca and the other moved to NO VA and went back. All the rest have stayed out of the state unless transferred. This includes almost my whole family and many of their friends.

Calif is perfect for many people, but not for others. My guess, about 50% at most of those who leave come back. What state is the best depends on a couple of things: where in Ca one is moving from, what they want from their new experience and their income level as well as availability of jobs.

Lots of Ca re-locate to TX, of course seniors to AZ and believe it or not some here to NWA as well as TN and MO just to mention a few places. Yes, Colorado is getting their share as well as Idaho and of course OR. OK is another place as is NM. On our street in NM we had 9 houses on the cul da sak, 5 of the owners were from California. Two of those 5 had been transferred, we had come from Texas but originally from CA, our next door neighbors were from Paradise and the people on the corner were from Orange County but I don't remember the city. They are now trying to sell their home to move back, but mainly because she is in a wheel chair and he has heart trouble, so they need to be nearer the family.

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I could never move to a state that voted republican in either of the last two elections. I'll give the Bush
folks a pass on the first term, no one could have foreseen the impending disaster, but getting bit a second time really says a lot about the brain-power of these places. Then putting a slutty flight-attendant type within striking distance of the presidency during the last election? I can't be with those people.
and you know what? those states wouldn't someone as narrow minded as you!!!

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
You must be quite young. You fail to realize, until fairly recently, California generally voted Republican. That was, until it was taken over by carpetbagger communists from back east and abroad.

TAKE BACK CALIFORNIA!
So it was the carpetbagger communists who voted in Pat Brown in 1959?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My pipe dream is that once we leave California I'll never hear Spanish again except in an appropriate restaurant!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's the Ozarks of Missouri for us!
I hope it works for you.

I'm not knocking your choice, just trying to clarify what I thought I heard.

I thought I read that the Missouri Ozarks (along with NW Arkansas) are seeing an influx of Mexican immigrants? Nowhere near the levels in California but a rapidly growing number.

IIRC, I read that some small town churches were adding Spanish language services, printing things in Spanish, etc.

Is my memory failing me? Or is it just pockets scattered around the region?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Obviously Pat Brown got quite a few cross over Republican votes. By today's standards, Pat Brown would be labeled a Far Right conservative. Look at national elections and presidential votes.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM

14 posts, read 28,702 times
I have relatives that moved from California to Arkansas and Oklahoma. They all love it there. I moved there and didnt care for it so we moved back to California to care for my dad when he began ill. My father in law lives in Springfield Missouri and from what I have heard from all three of those states there is an influx of Spanish speakers. I like living in California but we are planning to move to Idaho which is my husbands home state in 2010. I think people should not try to make the new state like the old state and they will be more welcomed. I hope so anyway...

Old 07-07-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think you know what was meant by the comment, as a rule, they voted republican. Oh, BTW, why was Pat running in 1959, I have never heard of a Ca governors election in an odd year..?"??

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I hope it works for you.

I'm not knocking your choice, just trying to clarify what I thought I heard.

I thought I read that the Missouri Ozarks (along with NW Arkansas) are seeing an influx of Mexican immigrants? Nowhere near the levels in California but a rapidly growing number.

IIRC, I read that some small town churches were adding Spanish language services, printing things in Spanish, etc.

Is my memory failing me? Or is it just pockets scattered around the region?
yes, there certainly are some, mainly due to the chicken factories, but no, nothing like Ca or even some other states like NM, AZ (well until recently AZ) and some in the northern part of our country. We will continue to see the influx until something is done to secure the borders, but NWA is nothing like many places. I haven't seen anything in spanish. There may be a catholic church in the area that has services in Spanish, but you don't see anything written in more than one language.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California