Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 PM

266 posts, read 998,162 times

Advertisements

Which state should all of the disgruntled Californios move to? Is Texas the one? Arizona? Oregon?Nevada?

Will the other states pass laws to keep Californians from migrating?

Will folks from other states even reply to this thread with the fear that Californians will march into their state and ruin it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Heh. Ask a native of any of those states if they'd like to see one more single solitary Californian move into their state...

Old 07-03-2009, 10:52 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,443,406 times
Many of them will move...then after a few years they will realize how good they had it in California and start saving to get back to the state they hated so much at one time. Seen it happen with two households and one single guy that have moved here from CA. They never stay here. After a few of our 7 month winters, and our 3 months of rain, and our 1 1/2 months of rancid humidity it hits them "Honey, this state sucks. We need to go back to California. There's nothing here and the people are wierd." Yep, seen it.
But there's always Texas. Seems like Texas is many Californian's dream state.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,425,033 times
Denver seems to be the most popular and for good reason.

I have seen it about 50/50 people that move out, end up moving back. I still have a few friends saving to move back from New Mexico and Colorado. Happiness isn't always a big house and a back yard.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,630,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
Which state should all of the disgruntled Californios move to? Is Texas the one? Arizona? Oregon?Nevada?

Will folks from other states even reply to this thread with the fear that Californians will march into their state and ruin it?
Yikes, if rich
Ca would be my choice! Anyway, stay, with a job! I loved AZ, but, a visit
is way different. The rest on the list, same boat to sea, as Florida!
Florida would be real glad to have you! But! Happy 4th! from the sunshine to the golden state! I do think, when you cross the welcome to Florida
State line, then, gold, and sunshine equates to Yellow, and a very warm welcome! Florida, does welcome all, and I have been here almost 11 years, from the cold North, and tax states! We all here mostly are the peas in pods relocated, and did stay! Welcome, if this is what you wish! Strange, I did hear some state have exit fees, to leave, strange, anyway, Florida, is a no income tax state, and trying! We also get homestead, and they try to listen to us
with taxes etc.! they did that with our home insurance, and home taxes! MA would say move! Mighty cold, and taxes way more than most could pay!
Boston, is great, but costly, and the taxes, why, Florida, is now my home state!

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-04-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,691,577 times
Quote:

people already resent californians for flocking to "their" state.
i spend a lot of time in a certain part of idaho and they generally don't like californians.
guess where they came from years ago?
it's silly ... one world one country live and let live

Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 AM

8 posts, read 23,597 times
Default Coolin'

Wow, you guys are getting me psyched to get back to my native state. I left in 2000 to see the world and I'm ready to move back this month and show my beautiful wife how wonderful the Golden State is!

If I were leaving California, I would go to a different country, anywhere in Europe would do. After that, I would go to a mid-sized city in New England, Burlington, Providence, Portland.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 AM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Denver seems to be the most popular and for good reason.

I have seen it about 50/50 people that move out, end up moving back. I still have a few friends saving to move back from New Mexico and Colorado. Happiness isn't always a big house and a back yard.
Yep, we moved to CO for all the common reasons you hear on the forum and it was nice. Your dollar goes a lot further that is for sure. We bought a two story house with a full basement, a/c, double paned windows, three car garage, 5 years new, big back yard and view of the Rockies from every floor for $230K. That was a sweet house and incredible deal!

And we thoroughly enjoyed living in CO while there so close to the Rocky Mountains. But we have come back to CA now. Although we returned under some conditions. One of them was that we didn't want to live in or too near the large cities anymore. We grew to enjoy the wide open spaces CO offers. Another was that we wanted to live along one the nicer coastal areas in the state. That was the one thing I just couldn't live with in trying to picture remaining in CO. I felt land locked surrounded by prairies and mtns on every side. I missed the coast more than I thought I would.

'You never really know what you've got til its gone' as the song goes. Ppl who leave go for the cheaper living and wide open spaces but gloss over the differences in climate, geography and culture. With regards to the weather I am not just talking about snow and cold. The thing that actually turned out to be the most trying was the length of snow season which begins Sept and extends well into April and May. The snow season is the longest season. And that is a long time to deal with freezing temperatures. I loved hiking in the Rockies. But the trails and lakes are still covered in snow and ice until June. We had some crazy bitter cold family hikes in Sept. in which my wife and kids almost caught frostbite. After that I was on my own for hikes which didn't occur between June and August.

RMNP in September - Trust me this is much colder than its looks!

So we landed in Monterey which has worked out great. But sometimes you have to move somewhere else to discover what you really want longer term.

Monterey in October:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-04-2009 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 02:55 AM

314 posts, read 933,374 times
Everybody I know that moved out of Ca ended up coming back. I know I will not leave Ca because the weather here is too good. I dont want to deal with hot weather nor cold weather. Ca is just right plus my job pays alot more here than it would in most other states.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,950,394 times
Quote:

Funny you should write this..It's actually the other way around.

It's the people from other states that come "marching" into California for our beautiful weather, job prospects (well, maybe not so much anymore!), gorgeous landscape and innovative/"can do" mind set.

Our food is all grown right here in our state and doesn't have to be transported by truck across the country. You can visit the beach, go skiing, and go wine tasting.. then dine at a fabulous restaurant all in the same day. Sorry, if you think I'd choose Texas (because I can buy a huge house for cheap) or any other state over this one..you're nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California