Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM

31 posts, read 182,328 times

Advertisements

I have family roots in both the San Francisco bay area and the Ventura/Ojai area. While prices are down, I am seriously considering moving back to California once my kids are in college. I am a painter, and want to spend the next decades enjoying the outdoors and the healthy life of good food and wine! Dreams!

I am looking into Sonoma and Ojai. How would you compare these two towns? I am thinking in terms of

people/friendliness
climate
things to do
housing for non-millionaires
life with tourists
I prefer country life with small town access to library, restaurants, farmers market, etc

Thanks for your input.
Zheni

Last edited by zheni; 07-08-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
I do not consider Ojai to be "Central Coast" - Ventura County, which it's in, is a suburban / exurban LA metro.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
Both are nice towns. Personally, I'd choose Ojai, but would be happy in Sonoma as well. And yes, Central Coast starts once you round Pt. Conception...or Lompoc, if you're a landlubber.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 PM

98 posts, read 605,162 times
Not knowing all that much about Sonoma, I can't give you a comparison to Ojai. But I can tell you that "country life with small town access to library, restaurant, farmers market, etc." pretty much describes the Ojai Valley. Life with tourists? Don't even notice them.

While Ojai is indeed in Ventura County, which happens to be adjacent to LA County, it is in no way "a suburban/exurban LA metro". That description does not fit Ojai at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 AM

31 posts, read 182,328 times
Thanks for the replies!
Are there other towns I should consider, too? Ones that you would compare with Sonoma and Ojai?

Also, how different is the weather - They seem similar on the climate maps, but I am guessing Sonoma is rainier in the winter, is that right?
What is Ojai like in the winter?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Ojai is a very beautifull place to be. The city has about 8,000 residents, with an additional 4,000 in the surrounding communities. Winters in Ojai are mild, although the snow is not too far away in the nearby mountains. It can be chilly during the winter although you will seldom if ever have any snow. The main two highways into the valley are Highway 33 from Ventura, which for the most part is a 2 lane highway after you leave Ventura. You can continue North on 33 and head into Santa Barbara County. Highway 150 connects Ojai to the Coast south of Santa Barbara and towards the east Santa Paula. Heading east on 150 is a nice twisty drive that is fun on a Mortorcycle, bike, or open car. When dusk approaches look North East at the Topa Topa mountains from most parts of the Ojai valley and witness what is known as Ojai's pink moment. The mountain area will take on a pink hue that is amazing to witness. The Arcade is an upscale shopping area in the heart of Ojai. There uis a nice park across the street from the Arcade. Lots of outdoor things to do within the area. Although outside the city Lake Casitas is a good fishing spot and they also have a small water park at the lake. I hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Not knowing all that much about Sonoma, I can't give you a comparison to Ojai. But I can tell you that "country life with small town access to library, restaurant, farmers market, etc." pretty much describes the Ojai Valley. Life with tourists? Don't even notice them.

While Ojai is indeed in Ventura County, which happens to be adjacent to LA County, it is in no way "a suburban/exurban LA metro". That description does not fit Ojai at all.
Deny it though you do, it's an exurb of LA. Without LA money, it would be a one horse town.

Realize though, you are not alone. We see the same thing here in Nor Cal, with people who vehemently insist that their particular exurb has nothing to do with the Bay Area ... even though it would not exist in its current form without the Bay Area being there.

BTW - I lived near Ojai for a while ... some years ago.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM

98 posts, read 605,162 times
[quote=BayAreaHillbilly;9683291]Deny it though you do, it's an exurb of LA. Without LA money, it would be a one horse town.

Gosh, to think I've lived here over a quarter of a century and have been delusional the whole time. Thanks for straightening me out.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I didn't know that their was any LA money in Ojai. Unless you count the stars or former stars that now call it home. From what I see most people don't have a need for LA money to live in Ojai. I know plenty of people that work in Ventura that live in Ojai. Maybe it is an exburb of Ventura.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 AM

10 posts, read 29,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zheni View Post
Thanks for the replies!
Are there other towns I should consider, too? Ones that you would compare with Sonoma and Ojai?

Also, how different is the weather - They seem similar on the climate maps, but I am guessing Sonoma is rainier in the winter, is that right?
What is Ojai like in the winter?

zheni... another place you may want to consider is San Luis Obispo. Larger town, close to the ocean but still inland. When the fog is on the ground in Morro Bay, it's bright, sunny and 80 in SLO.
It is a college town, so it has the good and bad that implies, but overall, perhaps the nicest place in the central coast area.

On the other hand....Sonoma will give you quick access to Marin County and SF. That really can't be underestimated. After a certain amount of quiet time in the rolling hills of Sonoma County, a fix of SF food, culture, and a ball game is welcome.
Also, the environment around Sonoma is vastly more diverse than Ojai or SLO. Drive west from Sonoma and you go from the dry rolling hills to rain forest, to wind swept rugged coastline, all in about 1 1/2 hours.
All the areas are really nice. Take a trip and see how you like the places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California