Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,290 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I am very apprehensive about moving to California because of the unemployment rates, cost of living, housing costs, etc. I have read a few other posts about people wanting to relocate and the answers to their posts have not been amazing to say the least. I know that the great areas are not cheap and we can’t have everything we want…

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Southern California from Texas within the next couple of years. We would like to live somewhat close to Los Angeles, but definitely not actually in it. I have done some Internet research on a few areas - Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Lancaster, Bakersfield, and a few others. We have never actually been to any of these places, so before we actually decide anything, visiting will definitely be close in the future. We are open to areas not mentioned as well; the ones listed are just a few places I've done some research on.

I am currently working toward my degree in respiratory therapy and my husband will probably continue with school while working. He is working on a career in acting and his agent has told him without moving, he should forget it.

I know the cost of living is significantly higher in California than Texas, therefore, right now we are working to pay off debt, save, and budget for the extra expenses.

I am also pregnant, so we will be looking for areas that are kid-friendly and safe. I definitely don't want to be naive about this move, but I really don't think the Internet can tell me everything. I need to know facts from people who actually live in these areas. Like I said, we are thinking about relocating. No decisions have been made.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani09 View Post

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to Southern California from Texas within the next couple of years. We would like to live somewhat close to Los Angeles, but definitely not actually in it. I have done some Internet research on a few areas - Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Lancaster, Bakersfield, and a few others. We have never actually been to any of these places, so before we actually decide anything, visiting will definitely be close in the future. We are open to areas not mentioned as well; the ones listed are just a few places I've done some research on.

I am currently working toward my degree in respiratory therapy and my husband will probably continue with school while working. He is working on a career in acting and his agent has told him without moving, he should forget it.

I know the cost of living is significantly higher in California than Texas, therefore, right now we are working to pay off debt, save, and budget for the extra expenses.

I am also pregnant, so we will be looking for areas that are kid-friendly and safe. I definitely don't want to be naive about this move, but I really don't think the Internet can tell me everything. I need to know facts from people who actually live in these areas. Like I said, we are thinking about relocating. No decisions have been made.

Thank you for your help.
Renting or buying?
What will your housing budget be?
What is husband's alternative career to acting?
The places you identified "Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, Santa Clarita, Lancaster, Bakersfield," are not typically places actors live due to the distance from the work locations.

Here are two good tools to help you find places to live:

School Performance Maps
Find All the Homes for Sale & Experienced Real Estate Agents | Redfin

Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 AM

^Charles

We will start off renting and our budget will be up to 2,000/month, less if possible. My husband has been talking about different careers and is completely lost when it comes to things other than acting. This can be very frustrating for me, but I believe it is my job to be there for him. He does work hard for our family and would never just sit around waiting for an acting job. If something doesn't come out of this, we will figure something out.

I didn't think these areas would be typical for actors, anything you would suggest?

Thank you for your response.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani09 View Post
anything you would suggest?
Burbank (Lots of hospitals near by for your employment possibilities)
Glendale
South Pasadena
Studio City

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
If acting is such a big deal why not start first with Austin? I've heard that there is a great indie film industry building there, you'd still be in Texas, cost of living is much cheaper and your husband could build up his resume.
LA is full of actors trying to make it. Even if you end up there, going with a solid resume and industry contacts would be a big step up.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
If acting is such a big deal why not start first with Austin? I've heard that there is a great indie film industry building there, you'd still be in Texas, cost of living is much cheaper and your husband could build up his resume.
LA is full of actors trying to make it. Even if you end up there, going with a solid resume and industry contacts would be a big step up.

That is a good idea. I haven't really thought about Austin, but you are right the indie film industry is getting better there. Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into that too.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
you are right, there are film industries building several places throughout the country, it no longer is mandatory to live in the L.A or NYC area. NM is another place..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California