Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
As a cop in California once told me, nothing good ever happens after midnight. I begged to differ, but from a cops perspective I guess it made sense. FWIW, NYC is now issuing liquor licenses that are only good until 2:00AM, so within five years that it, all bars will stop serving alcohol by 2 instead of 4. So much for the city that never sleeps.
Or, as my dad said - there's nothing you can do after midnight you can't do before midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
If I had my way, alcohol would be illegal everywhere.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
If I had my way, alcohol would be illegal everywhere.
And we would be required to pray 5 times a day?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
And we would be required to pray 5 times a day?
And pork products would also be banned?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
There's a very good reason last call is so early. It lets 1st watch cops nab the drunk drivers early on their watch so they can grab coffee, donuts then nap through the rest of it.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:18 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I can't talk about all of Europe, but only about England where DH is from. In England, drunk-driving laws are taken SERIOUSLY. If you are caught driving drunk, you *will* lose your license for a minimum of six months. If you cause someone injury or death while driving drunk, you *will* serve serious jail time.

England used to have a drunk-driving problem. Somehow, they managed the social engineering needed so that now drunk-driving is seen as a really tawdry thing to do, not to mention being incredibly socially irresponsible.

The early closing times in California are supposed to (I believe) minimize driving drunk. Because somehow no one in California seems to give a d*mn about driving drunk.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I can't talk about all of Europe, but only about England where DH is from. In England, drunk-driving laws are taken SERIOUSLY. If you are caught driving drunk, you *will* lose your license for a minimum of six months. If you cause someone injury or death while driving drunk, you *will* serve serious jail time.

England used to have a drunk-driving problem. Somehow, they managed the social engineering needed so that now drunk-driving is seen as a really tawdry thing to do, not to mention being incredibly socially irresponsible.

The early closing times in California are supposed to (I believe) minimize driving drunk. Because somehow no one in California seems to give a d*mn about driving drunk.
Getting a DUI almost seems like a right of passage here... I can think of 7 people under the age of 25 who have at least one in my social group. In fact, when people find out I don't have one, they are often surprised and almost confused, as if I'm not fun enough to 'party' with.

I absolutely think drunk driving should be taken far more seriously than it currently is. My sister got a DUI earlier this year and just had to pay a few thousand in fines, go to AA a few times (most of which were canceled or cut short) and had her license suspended for 30 days.

I also think it should be much harder to get your license in the first place, bit I suppose that's a whole different topic.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,228 times
Please stop making excuses for the stupid California law. I grew up in Memphis, TN and I don't know what the state law was in the Tennessee (Bible Belt state) but we partied on Beale St. until 4am. Moved to Hoboken, NJ for 3 years and had an amazing time going out in NYC and Jersey. Then I moved to the Bay Area and almost committed suicide my first year.

California has a lot to offer from outdoors and weather but this is the most boring and pathetic place to go out in the US. It's the most nanny state bull-**** in the country but don't let any California diehards try to convince you that the rest of the country has even more strict laws. Maybe the crazy Mormons Utah but everyone else has a better night.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis84 View Post
Please stop making excuses for the stupid California law. I grew up in Memphis, TN and I don't know what the state law was in the Tennessee (Bible Belt state) but we partied on Beale St. until 4am. Moved to Hoboken, NJ for 3 years and had an amazing time going out in NYC and Jersey. Then I moved to the Bay Area and almost committed suicide my first year.

California has a lot to offer from outdoors and weather but this is the most boring and pathetic place to go out in the US. It's the most nanny state bull-**** in the country but don't let any California diehards try to convince you that the rest of the country has even more strict laws. Maybe the crazy Mormons Utah but everyone else has a better night.
Why did you bump this old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California