Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,866 times

Advertisements

This just in,,,,,,,,,California is killing another golden goose!

The Film Industry is moving out of the LA area and it is really hurting the support buisnesses such as equipment rental, prop production and caterers.

I hope everyone is sitting down because "Deal or No Deal' is moving to Conneticut because that state provides huge production tax breaks.

Add that goose to the late aerospace, military, energy, etc. etc.....
Yul Brenner would roll over in his grave.............sniff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Unfortunately, not a surprise at all. Next stop, Bollywood!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
This is good, California needs to become competitive again and this is exactly what will do it, unfortunately people here will lose even more jobs.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post

The Film Industry is moving out of the LA area and it is really hurting the support buisnesses such as equipment rental, prop production and caterers.

I hope everyone is sitting down because "Deal or No Deal' is moving to Conneticut because that state provides huge production tax breaks.

That's great. I always thought the film industry was too centralized.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 PM

230 posts, read 599,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is good, California needs to become competitive again and this is exactly what will do it, unfortunately people here will lose even more jobs.
It's the kind of shock that the CA and local L.A. governments need; unfortunately I have little hope they will do nearly enough to reverse the anti-competitive policies that have driven so much production out of the state.

The state instituted its own film tax-credit program this year, but it's probably too little, too late. The program offers a 20%-25% incentive, not nearly as generous as the credits offered by other states (Michigan offers a 42% incentive), and comes with a boatload of restrictions. They don't even take effect until 2011.

California would seem to have a natural advantage in that so much of the industry infrastructure is already here, but that hasn't stopped the state from bleeding production like crazy. It's no different a situation from that of any other industry that's gotten out of CA. The state isn't going to reverse this trend by putting up a tax-incentive program to compete with those of a dozen other states; its only hope is to completely rehabilitate its business climate and make itself a place worth investing in again. And pro-business politics are nowhere in sight, either for L.A. or for the state at large.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post

Where was the film industry when millions of Americans began losing their jobs to outsourcing or the importation of cheap foreign labor? As I recall, they were making films and television show episodes about how everybody exhibiting a nationalistic attitude about the U.S. was an intolerant xenophobe.

Now the chickens have come home to roost.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 AM

82 posts, read 346,036 times
What??? Blue states in financial trouble?

Who could have EVER imagined such a scenario? I mean, overtaxing & creating welfare-dependent communities SEEMS like such a good idea. . . maybe Michael Moore, John Stewart, & Bill Maher will save you. lol

Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
I've been noticing the same trend and many shows are filming elsewhere. CA has become too expensive for its largest money maker to do business in. A couple of shows will be taped in GA.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Michigan is one you will be hearing about if you haven't already. Many hot shot Hollywood producers are having their films shot there because Michigan and the film industry have some sort of break they give to each other. I don't understand it fully, but it is happening more lately.

The Midwest pretty much sucks, but things are cheap and production can be done at a fraction of what it can in CA.
Now if they can be sure to schedule their filmings in that May-October slot...rest of the time your stuck indoors due to horrific weather.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Don't forget good ol' New Mexico.

We've been enjoying your film industry's lunch for a few years now.

A quick one-hour flight from L.A. and you have every type of set imaginable, more consistent sunshine than even L.A. can offer, affordable wages, and tax breaks galore.

I think we're scaling back now. We wouldn't want _too_ many Californians moving here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California