Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:05 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times

Advertisements

NYC, California, Boston, DC, Chicago, perhaps even Philly are the only cities that are cosmopolotain and interesting.

Elsewhere? Flyover country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
According to him/her/it there is almost no other place in America worth living in and Texans are all intolerable hillbillies. But if there's one thing he/she/it hates it's "close-minded"ness.

The Ugly Californian, who loudly proclaims its superiority in one breath then demands its federal bailout in the next, has done wonders for our state's reputation.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:07 AM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I rent an apartment, I'm 25, I manage.
Ah, that explains it. Get back to us when you start paying taxes.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Ok, I threw the troll a bone, now I'm out of this thread.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm a "troll" for expressing my opinions while you all bash my thread and this state? I didn't know defending one's state from relentless whining was a crime.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Thought so.

Here's a tip: don't assume that everyone else is 25 and rents an apartment.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
NYC, California, Boston, DC, Chicago, perhaps even Philly are the only cities that are cosmopolotain and interesting.

Elsewhere? Flyover country.
"Cosmopolitan" people can spell the word, boy. And "California" isn't a city, unless you're living somewhere in the Central Valley and want to be able to say you're as "interesting" as you think people who live in San Francisco and L.A. are. How very rustic of you.

Where do you live, anyway?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Quote:
I'm a "troll" for expressing my opinions while you all bash my thread and this state? I didn't know defending one's state from relentless whining was a crime.
If you're not trolling, then please tell us, what was the purpose of your OP? To rant against the fact that not everyone continues to see CA as the best place for them? To get all of us who have moved away or expressed sincere desire to to sincerely repent and move back or settle in for good?

I lived in California for over 25 years of my life, in all three major metro areas and some smaller towns as well. During most of that time, I figured that CA was in my blood and that I would never leave. But as I grew older so did paying nearly $1000/month just for the spot of land that my mobile home sat on. Also, I never felt like living in CA made me cooler than other folks and I wanted to try something different again. Not to mention getting a little peace and quiet and maybe some land to call my own. So, when my wife and I had an opportunity to move out of state, we took it, and we have not regretted it for a moment. That's not to bash CA - CA was a great place to live for many reasons over many years, and we may end up moving back one day if circumstances permit or require it.

Sorry if you feel a little picked on in this thread, but lacing into everyone who expresses desire for something different than what CA currently offers is really just asking for it.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
ASh! That 'splains it. Tell ya what, youngster, when you've lived elsewhere for comparison, have raised a family, paid major taxes and owned a small business, come back and tell me what I obviously haven't learned as a California native over 60 years of age who's lived in SoCal, CenCal and Nor Cal, seven other states and three other countries.

Now, as they say, Rant On!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
To the OP: I understand where you're coming from, but you have to understand that everyone has different priorities. Personally, if I didn't live in California, I'd move back to Germany or Austria. I've been to many other states and spent quite a bit in the south (including Texas) and you couldn't PAY me enough to live there.

My dad is a business owner in California, and I started my first business when I was 14. I had to shut mine down when I was 21 but it wasn't California regulation, it was FEDERAL regulation, so no matter where I went too, it would have been the same. My dad's a mechanic who owns a shop and he's doing great right now. All the extra vehicle regulations means he has more work.

I don't have a family and don't plan on having one (except for my dogs) and spend a lot of time outside so California is perfect for me. I have found it funny though, that most of the people bitching and moaning about California have already moved out... I don't go into the Louisiana, Alabama and Texas forums to bash them even though I hated it there.

Some people will never be happy.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks JetJockey. To be honest, my post was misinterpreted. It wasn't bashing people who moved elsewhere or who were struggling to pay rents, but merely stating that I was tired of people complaining about CA constantly and not looking at the positives in it, and admitting there are reasons worth staying in CA and they require sacrifices.

Everybody is right. I'm sure if I had a big family and lived in the suburbs it would be different, but at the moment, I love CA and there's the pro's just outweigh the con's too much for me to be able to move to Plano, Texas for supposedly better pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California