Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:42 AM

329 posts, read 1,028,987 times

Advertisements

Alright so I've been reading thread after thread about people knocking California for this and that, people downing Californian's and rambling about how expensive everything and the terrible quality of life, lack of an effective government...how Texas is even a better place to live.

Texas!? You've got to be kidding me! Sure, it's cheap and affordable...but there's a reason why CA is expensive, and Texas isn't. Texas has some of the most bland landscapes, close-minded blindly-patriotic people, with an intolerable twang and characterless, humid cities that sprawl out as far as the eye can see. CA cities have sprawl, but at least they also have urban cores and interesting urban nieghborhoods.

I'll TOTALLY be willing to shell out the money to live in CA's fantastic major cities. San Francisco with her cosmopolotain culture and urban life, San Diego for the beach and sun, LA for the excitement. And let's not even forget the greater picture here - CA has such a vast array of diverse landscapes and climates no state could compare.

I'm willing to sacrifice the ability to afford some huge ridiculous cardboard built suburban tract house that you all seem to want for a small rental apartment so at least I can live in this diverse, cultural state that's arguably one of the most international and cosmopolotain-minded in the nation.

No matter what anybody says, CA has the "cool" factor, everyone secretly wants to live here or envies aspects about it. I've never heard of anyone clammoring to move to Texas. The idea of Texas doesn't make my heart skip a beat or anyone else I know, except maybe for Texans themselves.

In my opinion, there are very, very few American places worth living in, or that impress me. Most cities in this nation are auto-oriented bland suburban wastelands, and I sure bet they're all much for affordable, but for what? Some boring conventional life where the most exciting thing is Red Lobster Friday's and perhaps a popular national sports team?

Gimme' a break. CA is an amazing place, and through think and thin, I aint' leavin'.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
How long have you lived in California? I'm going to guess you don't have many bills to pay or a family to support either.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Another one who thinks it's okay to kill off an entire state's economy just so long as you can bask in the diversity of the unemployment line.

Your rant is duly noted. At least as we stand on the deck of the good ship California we can take solace in knowing she looks pretty as she sinks beneath the waves.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post

Texas!? You've got to be kidding me! Sure, it's cheap and affordable...but there's a reason why CA is expensive, and Texas isn't. Texas has some of the most bland landscapes, close-minded blindly-patriotic people, with an intolerable twang and characterless, humid cities that sprawl out as far as the eye can see. CA cities have sprawl, but at least they also have urban cores and interesting urban nieghborhoods.
for what? Some boring conventional life where the most exciting thing is Red Lobster Friday's and perhaps a popular national sports team?
Funny, how someone who makes a statement like that calls others close-minded.

I love the weather, the scenery and all the different things Ca has to offer., but...

A lot of the people **** me off, the almost $1000 a month i shell out for a crappy little apartment pisses me off. the outrageous DMV fees I pay **** me off, the 10% they tax me when I spend it pisses me off, the illegals **** me off, the pandering useless gun laws **** me off, so, i plan on moving.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Well you guys are all obviously trying to live outside your means, living in 4 bedroom spanish-style homes out in the suburbs. Try moving into more urban areas where it's actually cheaper. But you're probably too afraid to try for a change b/c you feel safe in your little suburban life.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Well you guys are all obviously trying to live outside your means, living in 4 bedroom spanish-style homes out in the suburbs. Try moving into more urban areas where it's actually cheaper. But you're probably too afraid to try for a change b/c you feel safe in your little suburban life.
Do you have kids? A family? Own a home?

You can't eat the scenery. The people complaining tend to be grownups.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Oh boo-hoo. You can't have your rifle to go out and shoot innocent animals?

If you want NASCAR, head to the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post

I love the weather, the scenery and all the different things Ca has to offer., but...

A lot of the people **** me off, the almost $1000 a month i shell out for a crappy little apartment pisses me off. the outrageous DMV fees I pay **** me off, the 10% they tax me when I spend it pisses me off, the illegals **** me off, the pandering useless gun laws **** me off, so, i plan on moving.

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
According to him/her/it there is almost no other place in America worth living in and Texans are all intolerable hillbillies. But if there's one thing he/she/it hates it's "close-minded"ness.

The Ugly Californian, who loudly proclaims its superiority in one breath then demands its federal bailout in the next, has done wonders for our state's reputation.

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
So we're living beyond our means in the suburbs (where it's cheaper, you say) so the solution is moving to a more urban area? HUH?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:04 AM

You guys all make it sound as if we're paying Manhattan prices in rent. Try London, NYC, etc., than tell me about expensive!

I seem to know a whole lot of lower middle class people in CA who are happy and content and don't whine as much as the people on this board.

I rent an apartment, I'm 25, I manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Do you have kids? A family? Own a home?

You can't eat the scenery. The people complaining tend to be grownups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California