Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 PM

256 posts, read 616,973 times

Advertisements

Great information on the Coconut Palm. It looks like it grows well in the US only in Florida, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Hawaii. PLANTS Profile for Cocos nucifera (coconut palm) | USDA PLANTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Wonder why it skipped GA and SC?

Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
Great information on the Coconut Palm. It looks like it grows well in the US only in Florida, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and Hawaii. PLANTS Profile for Cocos nucifera (coconut palm) | USDA PLANTS
I never seen any in Coconut Palm's in North Carolina, but they often plant palm trees (temporary during summer) in the beach as far north as Ocean City, MD.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I saw what seems to me to be the farthest northwest surviving coconut palm without protection (aside from the heavily protected ones in southern coastal cal) and it is located in Golfo de Santa Clara, Sonora. This is a small village near the mouth of the Colorado River, on the border of Baja and Sonora, about 60 miles due south of Yuma.

This coconut palm is about 2 stories tall-using the crown to count as the second story in height...and is not common in the area. It seems to be a random palm someone planted and from what I can tell, no one else seems to have one growing in their yards in the town. But this one is surviving nonetheless...undoubtedly protected from the extreme desert heat due to the Sea of Cortez...which likely keeps temps just above freezing in the winter as well. Minimal survival skills met. And of course it is watered as are most trees in that area.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:44 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Not enough humidity here for coconut palms.
It's not the humidity. It's that it isn't warm enough.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 PM

31 posts, read 35,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Do you have some sort of vested interest in this or something? We didn't create the different climate out here. California's climate is simply too cold for coconut palms. No amount of trying will change that.

you should be more positive just because oakland ca is too cold for them doesnt mean southern cali wont have a slim chance

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 PM

31 posts, read 35,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That doesn't prove anything. That one in Newport is in a special area for it. Up against a sunny wall where the ambient temperature is 10 to 15 degrees hotter than 12 feet away from it. Those conditions will not exist in most places.

Buddy your putting your foot in your mouth. It doesnt matter the fact is Its growing out in the open enough said

Old 09-21-2013, 02:28 PM

499 posts, read 1,446,891 times
It's actually not true that coconut palms only grow in wet climates. The first time that I saw a coconut palm was in Guaymas, Mexico - which is a desert. I think temperature has more of an effect than humidity.

Last edited by puerco; 09-21-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,521 times
In south florida coconut trees are very easy to grow to maturity, I have 8 that are over 40 feet tall in 10 years and bearing heavy coconuts. I think growing breadfruit here is similar to people trying to grow coconut palms in southern california, the climate is really not suitable for good growth but we try.
My breadfruit is 15 feet high but never any breadfruits, not like the ones I saw in the bahamas or hawaii.
Good luck

Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
It's actually not true that coconut palms only grow in wet climates. The first time that I saw a coconut palm was in Guaymas, Mexico - which is a desert. I think temperature has more of an effect than humidity.
Guayamas is very hot and humid in summer, humidity definitely is the major factor. if it was temps alone places in LA would be growing fruiting coconuts (as well as southwest desert cities).

for example got to Palm Springs right now and the poor queen palms (much more resistant than coconuts) look like they are dying, then need humidity, temps constantly above 105 F for months hurts the queen palms, and humidity is needed. Palm springs sure does have enough heat (hotter than phoenix) but not the humidity, which equates to no coconuts surviving there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California