Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,807 times

Advertisements

I have a1995 conviction for stalking of my ex-wife during our divorce in which i was sentenced to 2 years in prison.it has been 14 years and i have had no other contact or have ever been arrested again.Me and the new wife have been together 11 years with no problems. My wife has asked if we could have a gun in the house due to my conviction without me getting in trouble.She would be the one purchasing the gun but if something happen and i had to use it in self-defense she doesnt want me to get into trouble. I have read allot of forums including this one where people say once a felon that they should never own a gun. But this story is very differnet as i have previous record and have been an outstanding member of the community ever since.Beside the people who say a ex-felon should never own a gun dont know how hard it is to be punished for the rest of my life for a stupid mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
You should not have a gun in your house. You are asking for trouble - even if it is your wife's gun, it is still in your home, therefore, you are considered in possession of it. In the event of a home invasion or anything of that nature, and you or your wife are taken by surprise, how fast are you or she going to be able to get that gun and defend yourselves with it? People who break into your home are not going to wait while you go get a gun. If you feel you need protection in your home, a large dog, such as a German Shephard, Doberman or Rottweiler, are excellent choices.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Having a gun for your own protection in your house is a mith. Once you get to discharge that gun and kill somebody, even in self defense you than have to go through the court system. Once you`re in the court system you have to deal with over-agressive prosecutors and be judged by a jury of your piers...LOL... do you know who would be judging you?....soccer moms, college students etc....LOL... Good Luck with that! The American judicial system is a joke, is primitive and is business/political driven......Ex: Mike Nifong, private prisons, executions being watched through a glass window etc.
Twinkle Toes is right.....DO NOT get a gun!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i regret your situation. but everybody that goes to jail does it for a stupid mistake.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i regret your situation. but everybody that goes to jail does it for a stupid mistake.
WRONG!

One time offender could be a mistake or a victim of circumstance. Repeat offenders are what you are implying. Pattern is what sets the difference between offenders.
OP is a one time offender and maybe a victim of circumstance and should NOT be punished for life. He paid for the crime he was convicted 14 years ago by serving 2 years in prison. Why should there be a life time punishment?

Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
WRONG!

One time offender could be a mistake or a victim of circumstance. Repeat offenders are what you are implying. Pattern is what sets the difference between offenders.
OP is a one time offender and maybe a victim of circumstance and should NOT be punished for life. He paid for the crime he was convicted 14 years ago by serving 2 years in prison. Why should there be a life time punishment?
i respectfully disagree. arming people on the way out of jail is a bad idea.
you put me in jail mess with me for awhile and then arm me, wow that is a terrible idea. as to victims, that is all they got at san bruno jail, no criminals there at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM

209 posts, read 749,587 times
As a liberal i believe if you have done your time then you've paid your debt to society. He's not just getting back out of jail, he's been out for more than a decade. I'm not sure what the law is, but if guns are legal then he should be allowed to have one. I don't personally believe handguns should be legal but they are so we should all be treated equally under the law. Maybe if there was a little bit more time and effort put into rehabilitation in the criminal justice system then we would have less repeat offenders but it seems to me like it is simply about punishment and nothing else. Seems pretty stupid to me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I wouldn't break the law by having the gun but hopefully you'll be allowed to have it.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionrules View Post
As a liberal i believe if you have done your time then you've paid your debt to society. He's not just getting back out of jail, he's been out for more than a decade. I'm not sure what the law is, but if guns are legal then he should be allowed to have one. I don't personally believe handguns should be legal but they are so we should all be treated equally under the law. Maybe if there was a little bit more time and effort put into rehabilitation in the criminal justice system then we would have less repeat offenders but it seems to me like it is simply about punishment and nothing else. Seems pretty stupid to me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I wouldn't break the law by having the gun but hopefully you'll be allowed to have it.
I agree with you. I don`t believe guns should be available to anyone regardless if there`s a criminal record or not except for the Law Enforcement and military. "The right to bear arms" is an archaic statement dated 1776! Some people think that having guns at home can protect them against the government...LOL.. statement was sure valid in 1776 but not in 2009!...LOL
In regards to the Penal System in America it is one of the most repressive in the world and THE most repressive in the western world. It is not about rehabilitation is about punishing and creating a system of profit for ppl employed by it. It hardens the criminals already in the system and creates new criminals by the injustice in which law abiding citizens are being treated by the same system. Lacrosse college players and the prosecution led by Mike Nifong case dated a few years ago is a vivid example of how primitive and cruel Judicial and Penal systems are in America.
Technologically America is the most advanced country in the world but socially it is VERY unsophisticated!

Last edited by flo2900; 07-16-2009 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM

144 posts, read 390,921 times
ok I have to say this

Do you think maybe you should change your handle from Thumper? (thump her)

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,807 times
I have read all your post and only agree with some of you. I for one have never had a run in with the law other than this issue.For the people that say the criminals should not have a gun i agree to that statement in regards to one issue.I agree that REPEAT criminals should not have guns. I for one is not that person and have no prior record. It has been 14yrs with no problems what so ever. I feel that i am being punished for the rest of my life for what i have done. Has no man wanted to take his young son out hunting. I for one will not be a victim of a criminals desire to come into my house and hurt me or my two young children(4&7) without me being able to defend us.Now unless i want to pay $2000 (which i dont have) to go thru the court system to justify to another judge that im a good boy now is retarded.On the other hand i agree with the rest of your comments in regards to not going back to jail just for having a gun in my house even though my wife buys it.
So what does a person like me do now?????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California