Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:07 PM

683 posts, read 4,610,040 times

Advertisements

I moved from Riverside County to Chicago in 2007 and had to leave my job as an elementary teacher. I am planning on moving back to California next summer, and will be looking for a job. I realize how horrible it is in California right now in regards to jobs and especially education, but do you think I will be just as doomed next year? I will be looking anywhere in southern California, or even the Bay Area if necessary. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,964,139 times
If you don't speak Spanish, start learning now. Of course, you could take a different tack and learn Hmong or some other "exotic" language with the hope of moving to an area where that language would be useful.
The economic picture in CA does not look rosy for a long time coming. I don't have a crystal ball, but when you've got politicians like the majority of eejits in Sacramento, you trust that they don't have all the answers.
Businesses are not exactly moving out in droves to CA. The younger generations here do not seem as bright as those who have come before and high school test results would appear to support that position. What does it all mean? A likely decline in most areas.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM

683 posts, read 4,610,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If you don't speak Spanish, start learning now. Of course, you could take a different tack and learn Hmong or some other "exotic" language with the hope of moving to an area where that language would be useful.
The economic picture in CA does not look rosy for a long time coming. I don't have a crystal ball, but when you've got politicians like the majority of eejits in Sacramento, you trust that they don't have all the answers.
Businesses are not exactly moving out in droves to CA. The younger generations here do not seem as bright as those who have come before and high school test results would appear to support that position. What does it all mean? A likely decline in most areas.
I actually minored in Spanish, and I know it is helpful to get in--however, I didn't end up using any of it in my job in California, even though more than 90% of my class spoke Spanish at home. I do, however, have CLAD, which enables me to teach to English Language Learners. I'm not really worried about being qualified, just wondering if anyone sees the situation improving in the future.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,364,193 times
If anything I see it getting worse for a while as the state "fixes" it's money problems by stealing from every account and every other agency (county, city, etc) they can. The S is going to be rolling down hill for a while still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California