Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
LOL, Somehow my parents discovered Lesterburger on our trips through Fresno. That became one of our stops decades ago.
Jumping in and interrupting the thread for nostalgia, Lesterburger

Let me add that while I don't post in here I often I will you all Happy Holidays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 PM

199 posts, read 536,433 times
Default Thanks...

Everest2009.

"Don't listen to everything you see on here, half of the people have just drove through.

I don't if theres a reason why it's either Stockton or Fresno, but theres a lot of places near both (Lodi for Stockton, Clovis for Fresno) that are right by the city but are better quality.

If you need to live in the actual cities of Stockton or Fresno there are great places to live in both, budget is the only question."

Budget controls a lot of people; and, I'm sure there are very desirable
places in which to live in Fresno. I also read the apartment ratings for
the areas. in which, I wish to, or have lived to check my accuracy.
While living in N California, I saw Lodi and loved it; in Fresno,
while the opinions given to me were not positive; they were from
a Super Snob, I brushed them off. Unfortunately, the ratings for the
complexes I checked weren't the best; mostly due to either
bugs, or plain bad management. Driving through Fresno, I stopped in
the Water Tower district for lunch, and loved it; I felt very comfortable,
but that was in the best part of the city; how else will I feel?
As some of the apartment dwellers in Fresno felt, roaches ruled apartments in El Paso, TX
where I lived 3 years. I got them under control without a paid exterminator.
I left El Paso due to the dismal medical care there and the
poorly educated populace. TX educational standards are very low anyway.
I've narrowed my search for places north of Shaw and at higher rates; pay nothing, you get nothing.
Besides, the "mini-soap, Fresno with Carol Burnett," made me feel Fresno is worth as a place to settle. Just kidding....

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,511 times
By the way... staying "north of Shaw Ave" doesn't get it anymore. You need to be north of Herndon now... depending on where you are east to west. Clovis is 95% safe, too.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM

Default North of Herdon????

This seem almost like "out of the city." What are the neighborhoods there? All in all, I may have to reconsider. I saw a few complexes in Clovis, most were poorly rated. It seems one can't go anywhere in this country any longer...... I'm not sure if Bakersfield is any safer, or more violent but I'll check on it. If I wanted violence, I'd simply move back to Mexico........

Old 12-11-2009, 02:10 PM

Default Question for Long-Term Residents of Fresno (1+ years)

Now that I am advised to stay north of Herndon, are there any apartment complexes north of Herndon? I am single with adult children living abroad. It seems some complexes I saw on Apartment guide punish smaller families by charging a higher lease rate for 1 or 2 bed room units.

I know no city is perfect, wealthy cities may be a bit closer, but if I could afford San Diego, why would I be looking here? Maybe it is a desire to return to the Golden State. Certainly cities in other states are within my price range. California minds are a bit more open than those in Maine, Georgia, etc.

I read enough "bad" about Fresno; please tell me, what are the good things about Fresno that keep you living there?

Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,646 times
Is north of Herndon even Fresno lol, I mean i don't know Fresno that well, but driving on the freeway, it seems like Fresno starts at Shaw.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:31 PM

328 posts, read 306,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
^^ Diversity has nothing to do with unemployment. Oakland's unemployment is like 40% but it's economy is more diverse than both Sacramento and Fresno. Still couldn't pay me to live in Oakland though.
40% It's 12% and where do you live?

Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default No Sacramento And Stockton Have A Greater Crime Problem Than Fresno....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms1967 View Post
I think Fresno and Stockton are actually very much alike... just a handful of good areas and crap most everywhere else. Lots of crime, lots of illegal immigrants, poorly planned freeways and all the bad things of a big city without the positives.
Sacramento and Stockton (both) have higher crime rates than
Fresno CA check this Web Site Below............

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

Stockton is rated as America 36 Most Dangerous City....

Sacramento is ranked as America 58 Most Dangerous City.....

Fresno is ranked as America 161 Most Dangerous City......

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 6,033 times
I came to Fresno about seven years ago as the result of a career change. We knew we did not want to live in the City, so we planted ourselves in the foothills. I wont say my occupation now, but let me say I am INTIMATELY aware of the crime patterns, good vs. bad areas, etc. Fresno is the most crime ridden, filthy city I have ever lived in. We moved from L.A., and I am constantly asked "Ooooh, L.A.?! wasn't it dangerous and scary there??" This city has surpassed anything I experienced in L.A. And I was INTIMATELY aware of the crime patterns there as well. And YES, we are leaving.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
I came to Fresno about seven years ago as the result of a career change. We knew we did not want to live in the City, so we planted ourselves in the foothills. I wont say my occupation now, but let me say I am INTIMATELY aware of the crime patterns, good vs. bad areas, etc. Fresno is the most crime ridden, filthy city I have ever lived in. We moved from L.A., and I am constantly asked "Ooooh, L.A.?! wasn't it dangerous and scary there??" This city has surpassed anything I experienced in L.A. And I was INTIMATELY aware of the crime patterns there as well. And YES, we are leaving.
Having lived in the Bay area and growing up there. Also lived out of state for a time and traveled a bit but find my self living in the Fresno area I will add I can not wait to leave the area! It is sad but funny we joke around say what the next news story will be from murders to drug bust and so on. Not many times is the line up wrong. To date so far the murder rate is now at 41 but that is not the full count of people killed in the area. It dose not count out side the city killings or any persons killed by the Police. It all adds up to a lot of killed people and most including the ones killed by the police are all normally involved in some kind of crime.

This is from Fresno's Saturday paper of Dec 12th 2009

The overall violent crime rate in 2008, at 585 per 100,000 residents, was well below the average of 752 for the state's 10 largest cities.

Fresno's 2008 property-crime rate, at 4,636, is well above the average of 3,484 for California's 10 largest cities.

The number of murders in Fresno declined from 71 in 1995 to 40 in 2008. (My words not the papers here. so far we are at 41 for this year and counting!)

According to the web sight neighborhood scout Fresno is safer then 6% is safer than 6% of the cities in the US. Also they say CHANCES OF BECOMING A VICTIM in Fresno 1 in 122. In California 1 in 178.

I will add I now live out side of Fresno but once live in town and that first new year I had never heard so many gun shots fired but in war movies or on the news as I did that New years Night and the next day all the spent bullets I found on the patio roof made me understand the warning they had the night before on TV about standing out side in the city at midnight. I thought it was more or less a joke but not any more I can tell you that. I can also add no were have live have I felt less safe then I did living in Fresno. But that’s my personal opinion based on living here for a few years both in and out side of the city and comparing it to other places I have lived. Fresno is not a place I would chouse to move to on my own nor is it a place I will stay when I can move when things change in my life. I also say that for the crime , bad air, summer heat, long drive to go any were like the mountains or ocean and other facts of life both day to day and for relaxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California