Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 PM

266 posts, read 1,005,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Hawaii and California are the two of the three most expensive states to live in, I hope you have a decent job lined up because if not you won't make it out here. Cheap housing is $800 for a 4-600 Sq Foot studio .
It seems like we have this thread over and over and over! We should have all "newbies" that want to come to California read one thread on the "Costs of California" before they ask any questions! Kind of like a remedial California course??

Either that or just let them be grilled by Charles until they get it through their skull that California ain't all that cheap and you need a job!!

Unless of course you move to Bakersfield or Stockton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,536,430 times
If it is just the beach you want, then Florida would be better and cheaper. Florida has a much more lively night life too.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,745,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeace85 View Post
Hey,

So I am stuck between Cali, Florida and Hawaii as to where I want to move. I am 23 and single. Looking for any information possible about areas in california that are good to leave with a beach near by and not overly priced. Any other information would be great to help me make my decision. I know I have a lot to read before I make up my mind. But I am ready! Thanks!
The coast of California is expensive until you get quite a bit north and that doesn't seem to be what you're wanting.
I live in Santa Cruz and i love it here and it may or may not suit you.
If you want to live alone you'll be paying anywhere between $800 - $1200 (or more) a month and that often doesn't include utilities.
Here is a link to Craiglist in Santa Cruz so you can get an idea of rental prices.

craigslist: santa cruz classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

And here is a link to Craigslist California and i've listed the coastal counties so you can get an idea of what housing costs if you want to live by the ocean. (That's where you'll experience the expense of CA ... housing [in your case, rentals] and gas!)

craigslist: california classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Coastal Counties (SF bay area on Craigslist includes Marin county i think)

SF bay area
Humboldt county
Los Angeles
Mendicino county
Monterey bay
Orange county
San diego
San luis obispo
Santa barbara
Ventura county

Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,297,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
It seems like we have this thread over and over and over! We should have all "newbies" that want to come to California read one thread on the "Costs of California" before they ask any questions! Kind of like a remedial California course??

Either that or just let them be grilled by Charles until they get it through their skull that California ain't all that cheap and you need a job!!

Unless of course you move to Bakersfield or Stockton?
True, lol @ Bakersfield and stockton real cheap beachfront property there.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,546,152 times
Quote:
Hawaii and California. Cheap housing is $800 for a 4-600 Sq Foot studio .
That wouldn't even put her in a decent studio in So Cal or Hawaii. That's like extened stay hotel or getto extreme living....or maybe with a roommate or is the way outshirts of the city in which a hairdresser needs to live in.

Minnesota, eh
What part? I have a step daughter that lives in New Ulm. She was born and raised in So Cal. And couldn't be happier in MN now. It took her about two years to grow roots in MN.

I think yous chasing a sunshine dream. California is not what it is cracked up to be. I lived their for 15 years. Hawaii is aa overpriced and tourist covered land. Try Arizonia, Nevada...maybe even Vegas area. Your looking for the warmth. Leave in Vegas and the beach is four hours away. Live in Arizonia and you have lakes to visit and Dumont Duns. Havasu is a great place for around your age.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandpeace85 View Post
MN can be a great state. But I need a change. When you've lived here and done and seen everything, you have nothing holding you back and you are young why not try a new lifestyle for a year? The people are the same everywhere.. I truly am not a fan of all 4 seasons. It's nice, but I don't love that part of here. Just a change is what I want. Something really different from MN

Try arizonia, nevada, colorado

Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,297,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
That wouldn't even put her in a decent studio in So Cal or Hawaii. That's like extened stay hotel or getto extreme living....or maybe with a roommate or is the way outshirts of the city in which a hairdresser needs to live in.

Minnesota, eh
What part? I have a step daughter that lives in New Ulm. She was born and raised in So Cal. And couldn't be happier in MN now. It took her about two years to grow roots in MN.

I think yous chasing a sunshine dream. California is not what it is cracked up to be. I lived their for 15 years. Hawaii is aa overpriced and tourist covered land. Try Arizonia, Nevada...maybe even Vegas area. Your looking for the warmth. Leave in Vegas and the beach is four hours away. Live in Arizonia and you have lakes to visit and Dumont Duns. Havasu is a great place for around your age.
None of he area's you recommended have a beach and Las Vegas sucks to live in, visit cool, but to live? A friend of mine moved there two years ago and hates it.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
None of he area's you recommended have a beach and Las Vegas sucks to live in, visit cool, but to live? A friend of mine moved there two years ago and hates it.
I know they have no beach.....Vegas might not be the best place to live. Never lived there only visit. OP wants in the middle of a busy city.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,745,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
I think yous chasing a sunshine dream. California is not what it is cracked up to be.
that's so presumptuous.
how do you know that she's chasing a dream and what's the matter with a dream anyway?
if someone has the notion that they want to live in California, why recommend Nevada, Arizona, etc.
yeah, nevada sun in July ... lovely.
geesh.
california may not have been what you wanted or expected.
there is a reason that people are drawn here.
in large part it's often about the pacific ocean.
so they come and find that it's home and they love it or they find that it's not what they had hoped for.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM

10 posts, read 37,807 times
I live south of the twin cities.. Grew up here my whole life and need a change. Something different. So from what I am getting from people is California is not that its all cracked up to be?? I am really glad you are all honest and keep it coming.. I am not planning this for about a year year and a half.. But, I wanted to get the ball rolling on whats out there and opinions. Any other suggestions are great! But I really do want a beach nearby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California