Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 17,680 times

Advertisements

Just got accepted into Brooks and will be moving next month. Very excited, I have never been to Santa Barbara and don't know anyone. What should I know? What's to do? Where to live and not to live? I'll probably rent a apt. or house with other students through craigslist...

any input on Santa Barbara would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What is your housing budget?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Get a bike and live close to the main bus lines. You'll love it!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:07 PM

why, is traffic and parking generally a *****? I have a car and love it, wouldn't sell it and plan on taking it.

budgets at about 800 a month

Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F View Post
why, is traffic and parking generally a *****? I have a car and love it, wouldn't sell it and plan on taking it.

'Twas just a suggestion. I wouldn't own a car in SB. No need. I'd give it up, do the recommended action (see earlier post) and boost my budget to a grand or $1,200/mo. Your budget of $800 won't get you much more than a room in someone's house or a postage-stamp sized shared shack -- and I mean SHACK -- with no off-street parking (be prepared for territoriality and vandalism if you don't play along) -- in the East- or West-side ghettos.

IV is a PITA for parking. SBCC offers discounted housing if you don't bring a car to an already car-overburdened area. UCSB and SBCC student IDs give you unlimited free rides on the bus system. Give it some thought before you dismiss the idea.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F View Post

Is that $800 for JUST rent and utilities, or is it for absolutely everything? I was just on craigslist for Santa Barbara and studios are about $1100, no utilities included. Rooms seem to be in the 600-1000 range.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:14 PM

ive been looking on CL for students looking to rent a room out in a house, and it seems to be in the 800 range give or take some. Which is really all I will need... and after rebuilding my BMW M3 this summer I think I will take it despite the hustle and bustle (im used to downtown traffic). I have heard a lot about the bus, it would be nice not driving to school everyday or just getting around town for that matter. I will have to remember that when looking into housing...

any more input on Santa Barbara would be appreciated!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:31 PM

9 posts, read 44,069 times
Im (non-student) considering SB too-which areas are walkable/quaint? Unique shopping, cafes/restaurants, health food store, gathering spots?
Thanks!!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinmovingirl View Post
Im (non-student) considering SB too-which areas are walkable/quaint? Unique shopping, cafes/restaurants, health food store, gathering spots?
Thanks!!
Walkable: Isla Vista and downtown. The best thing to do is live near the main bus lines if you decide against one of those two areas, MTD Santa Barbara. IV is mainly UCSB students and service-sector working-class renters. Downtown might be closer to what you want. If downtown, I'd stay north north of Cabrillo, though south of the 101 near Pershing Park is ok. I'd also stay east of the 101 and west of Milpas. Avoid Haley Street (homeless, halfway houses, etc.)! Santa Barbara downtown has a homeless population. They like to sit on State Street, the main tourist area.

The thing about Santa Barbara is that it has a bustle to it that makes it feel like a bigger city. Along with this does come some "bigger city" issues, like noise, density, traffic and crime. If you have questions about specific areas or conditions, please post. One thing that'll help is knowing your housing budget and job search/type ideas (unless you're retired, or something like that).

Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Santa Barbara is a paradise, one of the greatest places to live in California (or the entire US). But it is notoriously EXPENSIVE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California