Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movr09 View Post
People here do some crazy things, why is this?

Why do people who live in one of the most scenic and temperate places seem not so nice. Of course there are rotten people anywhere you go, but here it seems this is the underlying culture. ********* before you screw me is the golden rule.
I don't know what happened to you to make you so bitten toward people in California, I do not find them particularly rude, sure some are, but most are very friendly. We did stay at hotel near LAX about 2 years ago and the entire staff needed an attitude adjustment class, but other than that I can't remember anyone being really rude to us. We visited a few months ago for a couple of weeks, no one stuck out in my mind as being rude.

I do think some places people are a little warmer. Even though we think of Ca as being laid back, I think people are always in a hurry, particularly in the L.A. area, who wouldn't be. The city is a rat race to some degree.

Nita

Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
Some real soft people on this forum, you wouldn't last a day in NYC or Philly. There are rude people everywhere. Toughen up.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:47 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movr09 View Post
People here do some crazy things, why is this?

Why do people who live in one of the most scenic and temperate places seem not so nice. Of course there are rotten people anywhere you go, but here it seems this is the underlying culture. ********* before you screw me is the golden rule.
too many people.
too much pollution, congestion, competition, fear, etc.
too many egos.
not a happy place down there and yet so many people want to be there.
it strikes me (particularly L.A.) as a hell realm and reminds me of the line from a bob marley song > "think you're in heaven but you're living in hell, time alone, time will tell."
also, i don't know what you mean by "scenic" but certainly the central coast and northern california and the higher elevations of california (the sierra for example) and many places in other states for that matter are far more beautiful than the land down there.
it is subjective, i realize.
but when you think about it, besides the weather (which many do like), what is so great about So. CA?
interesting.
brainwashing on a mass scale i think.
mass hypnosis.
sheeple flock there but they don't truly know why and then they find themselves unhappy and disillusioned.
ce la vie

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-24-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
I rarely come across rude people in San Diego. A little more so in LA and OC but even then it's not that bad imo. A lot of times its these stuck up wannabe transplants it seems that are the problem, most LA natives I've met are very cool and down to earth.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
Quote:
Some real soft people on this forum, you wouldn't last a day in NYC or Philly. There are rude people everywhere.
Very true! In the past couple of years I've had to deal with the kind and gentle folk of the northeast. They have a certification program for "how to be an a**hole", and much to their credit, there are a lot who pass the program with flying colors. So, if you ever hear someone being called a "certified a**hole", my money's on that he or she is from that region of the country.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I love So Cal. I don't live there. I go a couple of times a year and stay with my children. I love the ocean but not the smell. I love to take the dogs on the beach and watch them run in the winter. I love the hills, trees, flowers, freshly picked fruits. The first fresh date that I ate that was not in a package, but it was in Oceanside. The avocados are to die for. I pay $4 for your $1 avocado. It wost a fortune at home to buy a dozen limes. I found Trader Joe's and Boney's and thought I was in heaven.

Then I got stuck in I-5 traffic when i was leaving one morning. I don't like the smog. the rude drivers, the traffic, the COL or the desert, but I sure like it in the winter. I can take the kids outside and walk the dogs and not feel like I am living in a sauna.

If I had the income I'd move by nearer to my children. But I don't, so I content myself with what I have which is a four week vacation. It could be worse

Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Very true! In the past couple of years I've had to deal with the kind and gentle folk of the northeast. They have a certification program for "how to be an a**hole", and much to their credit, there are a lot who pass the program with flying colors. So, if you ever hear someone being called a "certified a**hole", my money's on that he or she is from that region of the country.
NYC, Philly, Boston, etc.
The northeast Bos-Wash (Boston to Washington corridor) = too many people not enough space = aggression, competition, etc. = "rude".
people need space and enough nature to keep them sane.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 07-24-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
too many people.
too much pollution, congestion, competition, fear, etc.
too many egos.
not a happy place down there and yet so many people want to be there.
it strikes me (particularly L.A.) as a hell realm and reminds me of the line from a bob marley song > "think you're in heaven but you're living in hell, time alone, time will tell."
also, i don't know what you mean by "scenic" but certainly the central coast and northern california and the higher elevations of california (the sierra for example) and many places in other states for that matter are far more beautiful than the land down there.
it is subjective, i realize.
but when you think about it, besides the weather (which many do like), what is so great about So. CA?
interesting.
brainwashing on a mass scale i think.
sheeple flock there but they don't truly know why and then they find themselves unhappy and disillusioned.
ce la vie
A very stereotypical Northern Californian assessment here full of BS and bias no doubt. There is plenty to like and love about Southern CA but if have a closed mind then I guess you'll never be able to recognize that. What is so great about Northern CA? Personally I never understood why people tricked themselves into thinking there is no better place to live, especially w/o actually ever living outside there. I guess the sheeple flock to both parts of the state.

Last edited by sav858; 07-24-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 11:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,525,442 times
People in SoCal are no more rude than any place else....IF you meet them with a smile.

If I haven't learned anything else in 60 years, I've learned how people react to you is usually a reflection of how you're reacting to them. If you go around with a pissed off, "don't bother me" scowl on your face, you can't expect most people to be nice.

Remember the Golden Rule? It works!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A very stereotypical Northern Californian assessment here full of BS and bias no doubt. There is plenty to like and love about Southern CA but if have a closed mind then I guess you'll never be able to recognize that. What is so great about Northern CA? Personally I never understood why people tricked themselves into thinking there is no better place to live, especially w/o actually ever living outside there. I guess the sheeple flock to both parts of the state.
i admit it ... i am definitely biased
but i wouldn't say closed minded.
just discerning
i know that there are people who love so. CA.
to each his own.
didn't intend to offend.
but it seems to me that people who've never been to california think of So. CA as paradise.
which it must have been at one time ... a long time ago.
before all the sheeple arrived wanting to own a piece of the paradise that they've now ruined.
or lets say that if it still paradisiacal, it's got a huge shadow looming over it.
i've lived in quite a few places btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California