Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
What counties in ca do not require a smog check (theres a few) & if i get a post office box in one of those counties & register my 85 olds with that post office box will the dmv know what im up to ? Also does the no smog counties charge a abatement fee on the old cars or just newer ones ?
I'm pretty sure it is a statewide thing, and wouldn't help you get away with it even if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Smog Information

is where you can see which counties require a smog permit.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Smog Information

is where you can see which counties require a smog permit.
While those counties may be the only ones which require a smog on each yearly renewal, other counties require a smog test on each newly registered vehicle during transfer of title. I am in a county not shown and each new registration (change of owner) requires a smog unless it has been smogged already and is going to an immidiate family member.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
The thing is smog repair stations have more of a incentive to fail you then test only stations. Ill stick with test only unless i fail smog.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Well, you have choices in San Bernardino county. You may just need to move over a city or three.

"There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma."

Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 AM

Had the new law (AB2241) been not implemented (1-09) it would of given me time to get my car smog ready without paying a ripoff $50.00 fee when it used to always be free. The DMV looks for ways to nickle & dime you & they get away with it. Look how much a non op costs now (18.00). The director of the dmv ( George Valverde) is just a puppet to the corrupt, horrid, lying, foul, untrustworthy, thieving, cowardly, law crazy legislature & hack govenor. New Laws for 2009

Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 170,170 times
The best way to "beat the system" is to burn all of your fuel INSIDE the engine instead of spitting it out the exhaust. (And you get more power if you do that as well...) My 7-year old car emits ZERO hydrocarbons, and the CO2 and NOx are extremely low. (My smog test is on the site for download.) Dan Engine Ecology - Burn your fuel INSIDE your engine

Old 08-01-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEcology View Post
The best way to "beat the system" is to burn all of your fuel INSIDE the engine instead of spitting it out the exhaust. (And you get more power if you do that as well...) My 7-year old car emits ZERO hydrocarbons, and the CO2 and NOx are extremely low. (My smog test is on the site for download.) Dan Engine Ecology - Burn your fuel INSIDE your engine
My car is almost 24 yrs old (manufactured 11-84) with 117,300 miles. Will it still work & get me through the tough smog ? The legislature wants all old cars off the roads. Thats why they are Making it tougher & tougher to pass smog.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,610 times
Google is your friend

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal?

Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal Alameda Butte Colusa Contra Costa Fresno Glenn Kern Kings Los Angeles Madera Marin Merced Monterey Napa Nevada Orange Sacramento San Benito San Francisco San Joaquin San Luis Obispo San Mateo Santa Barbara Santa Clara Santa Cruz Shasta Solano Stanislaus Sutter Tehama Tulare Ventura Yolo Yuba There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:
El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.

So that leaves
del Norte, Humbolt, Lake, Inyo and probably a few others, but if it isn't currently registered, you will need to smog it before you can change the address

Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Google is your friend
I only posted the part that applied to the OP as he lives in San Bernardino county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California