Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 131,331 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be selling my car in the next few weeks and was curious about the regulations in CA. I've looked at the DMV website but haven't been able to find any information.

My car currently has KY plates and a KY title. Will I need to transfer my registration and title to CA before I sell it? I know in other states you only need a drivers license from the state you are selling it in, but CA seems to have so many more rules than other states. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,200 times
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe you only sign over the title. It is up to the person who buys it to register it under their name. They would be the ones who have the ying-yang to register it within the DMV timeline.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM

143 posts, read 393,701 times
By any chance to you belong to AAA? That might a good place to go for answers.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
I bought a Jeep here, it was from Chicago.
I had to pay the registration current and pay transfer fees. It actually was cheaper than a local car as I only had to pay a single year of registration even thou it was 6 years behind. CA has a non-op program as Chicago does not.
As a seller you will need to legally smog it before or during transfer, at your cost.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:58 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,320 times
My partner sold his car that had Iowa plates on it here in CA. The buyer will be the one stuck with the registration and smog check fees. Nothing else you need to do as the seller other than sign over the pink slip and collect the dough.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegHall View Post
I'm going to be selling my car in the next few weeks and was curious about the regulations in CA. I've looked at the DMV website but haven't been able to find any information.

My car currently has KY plates and a KY title. Will I need to transfer my registration and title to CA before I sell it? I know in other states you only need a drivers license from the state you are selling it in, but CA seems to have so many more rules than other states. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?
Plates, Reg, insurance and title, you may need to smog it. Best deal is rush down and trade it in now as a Clunker get the money and leave the problems to the dealer.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Plates, Reg, insurance and title, you may need to smog it. Best deal is rush down and trade it in now as a Clunker get the money and leave the problems to the dealer.
Good luck with that. As long as the car fits the rules on what a clunker is. Seems that many cars the government thinks are clunkers you could get more for by selling to a privare party. Also unless that car gets less than 18 miles per gallon you are out of luck. I just see the entire thing as a joke. We have one car that would qualify and I could sell it for more than they are offering.

Old 08-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
My partner sold his car that had Iowa plates on it here in CA. The buyer will be the one stuck with the registration and smog check fees. Nothing else you need to do as the seller other than sign over the pink slip and collect the dough.
By CA law the seller is responsible for smogging the car, you of course can pass on the price of smogging to the buyer - you just add it to the price.

My brother stole our dads truck and sold it for crack. The buyer had it smogged and returned with the bill which had to be reimbursed. Quite expensive as dear old dad had removed all smog off the truck. You can fight it, but the law is written.

It is funny to read the auto ads for northern CA. They will state a price then say "plus ad fees and smog". Here in So CA you just add it to your price and don't bring it up again.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM

12 posts, read 131,331 times
Thanks, everyone! How current does the smog test have to be? I had one done when I first moved here (last fall) and still have all the paperwork on it. I doubt my car would qualify for the CforC program. It's old, but in very good shape.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegHall View Post
Thanks, everyone! How current does the smog test have to be? I had one done when I first moved here (last fall) and still have all the paperwork on it. I doubt my car would qualify for the CforC program. It's old, but in very good shape.
You would have to check with the DMV or auto club, but I understand the smog is only good for 90 days or 120 days.

I understand the cash for clunkers is good as long as the car is registered in your name and running. You get $4500 toward trade in on a new auto and add any current rebates or deals. Not a bad deal if you are in the market for a new car. And you do not need a smog report!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California