Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,997,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I didn't know Metzger lived in Fallbrook! How did HE score living in such a nice place? I used to live in Fallbrook when I was a kid. I just remember it as home of Del Rey Avocado (and Martin Milner from Adam 12).
He has lived there for many years, and runs a tv repair shop. His son is taking over now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
OF HATE GROUPS! I know that there were many hate groups in California, since I lived in Fallbrook, in San Diego County, where Mr. Metzger, the Head of the White Aryan Nation lives. But I did not realize that they have spread in such big numbers.

I checked The Southern Poverty Law Center, and found a "Hate Group Map," that depicts where they are located. And I was astounded that they have spread all over the State. I thought it was more of an Orange County/San Diego issue.
Certainly not enough to turn the state RED as we continually see happening in the South. Isolated hate groups certainly exist in CA. It is a state were freedom of expression is encouraged, but it is not a way of life for an entire state...for CENTURIES like we see among the states in the South.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
all gangs are hate groups. it's strange they show all the white gangs, but none of the mexican or black gangs. agenda much? biggest "hate group" war in the nation is the mexican vs black gangs in LA
While the violence between the two groups has been bad over the years I still disagree. Black gangs have murdered FAR MORE blacks over the years than Latinos. If a young black man is murdered in Los Angeles County there is a much higher chance the killer was black than Latino. Vice versa for Latinos.

Also, you have to factor drugs, gentrification, and poverty into the equation as well. Many neighborhoods that were majority black (Compton, Watts) are now becoming majority Latino. Both groups have some of its members at the bottom of the social ladder fighting for limited resources. That's the REAL issue. Black and Latino gangs do the most harm to their own people. That is why I don't see them as being the same. While they do commit "hate" crimes, I still don't see them as "hate" groups as we define it. By the same token, how many whites are being routinely shot by Skinheads? Not many. Most of their ire is directed at other races.

And this not an attempt in any way to give any virture to black and Latino gangs or say white supremist groups are worse. They are ALL BAD and represent the worst of our society.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
They are insignificant and have no power.

I looked at the "Hate Map" that someone posted here, and it covers a significant part of California.

The problem is many of these group members' will target a minority that is usually alone, and this is how they get their power.

Northern Idaho, specifically Sandpoint, Coeur D'Lane, and Hayden Lake, have been trying to get rid of them, after a Nazi group killed or shot down some innocent people, who were shooting fireworks in front of their home, and these victims sued them, forcing them out of their land, and confiscating their belongings.

Maybe this is the reason, why California is getting so many of these groups, now ?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:17 AM

230 posts, read 599,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Certainly not enough to turn the state RED as we continually see happening in the South. Isolated hate groups certainly exist in CA. It is a state were freedom of expression is encouraged, but it is not a way of life for an entire state...for CENTURIES like we see among the states in the South.
Funny thing about the South.... its progress away from Jim Crow over the years coincided exactly with the waning of Democrat control of every single Southern state.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
I looked at the "Hate Map" that someone posted here, and it covers a significant part of California.

The problem is many of these group members' will target a minority that is usually alone, and this is how they get their power.

Northern Idaho, specifically Sandpoint, Coeur D'Lane, and Hayden Lake, have been trying to get rid of them, after a Nazi group killed or shot down some innocent people, who were shooting fireworks in front of their home, and these victims sued them, forcing them out of their land, and confiscating their belongings.

Maybe this is the reason, why California is getting so many of these groups, now ?
That's not power, anybody can kill somebody. It's not like these groups are dominant in government like they were in the 60s and below. They are weak cowards that target a few people every year and end up getting locked up for it. That is not power.

You're more likely to die in a plane crash than killed by a Neo Nazi.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:25 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
While the violence between the two groups has been bad over the years I still disagree. Black gangs have murdered FAR MORE blacks over the years than Latinos. If a young black man is murdered in Los Angeles County there is a much higher chance the killer was black than Latino. Vice versa for Latinos.

Also, you have to factor drugs, gentrification, and poverty into the equation as well. Many neighborhoods that were majority black (Compton, Watts) are now becoming majority Latino. Both groups have some of its members at the bottom of the social ladder fighting for limited resources. That's the REAL issue. Black and Latino gangs do the most harm to their own people. That is why I don't see them as being the same. While they do commit "hate" crimes, I still don't see them as "hate" groups as we define it. By the same token, how many whites are being routinely shot by Skinheads? Not many. Most of their ire is directed at other races.

And this not an attempt in any way to give any virture to black and Latino gangs or say white supremist groups are worse. They are ALL BAD and represent the worst of our society.
Excellent response, LOL at black and Latino gangs as hate groups.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:27 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Funny thing about the South.... its progress away from Jim Crow over the years coincided exactly with the waning of Democrat control of every single Southern state
....which began with Nixon's "Southern strategy" which took advantage of people's prejudices.

Anyway, on topic, I'm really not that surprised that the most populous state in the country has the most hate groups.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
I think it's funny that the list shows "registered" hate groups!

If they put up a window to signup for being a butthole - there would probably be long line.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM

230 posts, read 599,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
....which began with Nixon's "Southern strategy" which took advantage of people's prejudices.
The "Southern strategy" took advantage of the radical leftward tilt of the national Democrats and their accompanying break with the poor and working class people of the South.

Republicans first began to appear in the South in the '50s, just as cracks began to appear in the Democrat Jim Crow ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California