Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No hurricanes in CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No earthquakes in Florida. That seems to me to be a stand off!!!
Having been in both multiples times each, big ones ... no real comparison. Unless one insists on living and working in silly kinds of buildings, there's not that much to enduring the short term of an earthquake compared to enduring a hurricane.

The answer to living in earthquake country is stay away from living like ants in congested urban environments -- and buildings without natural flexibility ... single-story wood frames are mostly fine ... tents and wagons on wheels are best

The answer to living in hurricane country is: don't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:30 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times
If I say the weather is better in California, then I am correct. If I say the weather is better in Florida, then I am correct.

Personally, I want it all. I can never make up my mind.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Having been in both multiples times each, big ones ... no real comparison. Unless one insists on living and working in silly kinds of buildings, there's not that much to enduring the short term of an earthquake compared to enduring a hurricane.

The answer to living in earthquake country is stay away from living like ants in congested urban environments -- and buildings without natural flexibility ... single-story wood frames are mostly fine ... tents and wagons on wheels are best

Have you lived through an earthquake like 1971? Have you seen houses on your block completely leveled? The problem with what you are saying is two fold: 1-you do not know where you will be when the earthquake hits, so the home you live in has nothing to do with it and 2-we can't always decide where to live. One can live in some parts of Florida as well without as much possibility of a really strong hurricane affecting them except for a little rain, but not everyone in Florida can live in those areas. I have lived through more than one earthquake, I have held my kids off and on for days, because every they feel a tremor they are afraid it is another major earthquake and yes, I have witnessed the damage hurricanes can do. Two of our children live in Florida. I lived there one year as a child. Believe me, both disasters are just that, disasters and if anyone thinks one is better or worse than the other, they are wrong in my estimation. This is like saying a hurricane isn't as bad as a tornado or visa versa. Every state has the potential for a natural disaster. This is life...

Old 07-27-2013, 10:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Have you lived through an earthquake like 1971? Have you seen houses on your block completely leveled? The problem with what you are saying is two fold: 1-you do not know where you will be when the earthquake hits, so the home you live in has nothing to do with it and 2-we can't always decide where to live. One can live in some parts of Florida as well without as much possibility of a really strong hurricane affecting them except for a little rain, but not everyone in Florida can live in those areas. I have lived through more than one earthquake, I have held my kids off and on for days, because every they feel a tremor they are afraid it is another major earthquake and yes, I have witnessed the damage hurricanes can do. Two of our children live in Florida. I lived there one year as a child. Believe me, both disasters are just that, disasters and if anyone thinks one is better or worse than the other, they are wrong in my estimation. This is like saying a hurricane isn't as bad as a tornado or visa versa. Every state has the potential for a natural disaster. This is life...
Relax Nita ... it was half tongue-in-cheek. Yes, I have seen entire villages leveled, up close and personal (as I participated in leveling them), done three typhoons (what hurricanes are called in the Pacific) at sea and several on land when I was a boy (don't remember if it was two, or three), sat out a 6.-something in my frame house and did a 6.8 sitting in a trailer on blocks I was living in while building a cabin on-site ... thought the trailer would come off its blocks but it never did ... rockin' and rollin' ... wild ride ... but all said, I have lived through far worse things than earthquakes and hurricanes anyway. You didn't think I expect other people to live in tents and wagons like I do -- not really, did you? For that matter, living on a boat is best for earthquakes (*waiting for someone to post about tsunamis following earthquakes*).

Note also, I specified the conditions for living at some ease through an earthquake ... single-story frame housing rarely comes down ... just cracks the plaster and knocks loose crap off shelves. Don't live and work downtown. Etc.

But you are correct: every state has something a person can worry about ... disasters are part of life.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiago de pampanga View Post
the accuracy of the record set in libya was supposedly nullified because of some of the factors involved in recording that temperature...
Ah ok, so Death Valley is now officially the world's hottest place? Interesting.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No earthquakes in Florida. That seems to me to be a stand off!!!
That doesn't mean Florida will never feel a quake. South Carolina is at risk for a large quake. The east, unlike California is not so fractured so seismic waves travel much farther. If a major quake hits SC, Florida will feel it. The chance isn't big but it's likely bigger than CA getting a hurricane.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post

^This. I don't quite understand that comparison either. We hear about Hurricane damage around the world (Typhoons and Tropical Cyclones are the same things) each year. Major quakes cause damage far less often. The Galveston hurricane of 1900 killed more people than all the US earthquakes combined.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Name a time where a hurricane has made landfall and even inland areas where it went received just "a little rain"? Dying hurricanes usually release a tremendous amount of water. A little rain LOL

Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 AM

57 posts, read 214,714 times
Quote:
Major US Earthquakes in the last 50 years:
- 1994 Northridge: 57 deaths, $23 Billion damage
- 1989 Loma Prieta: 69 deaths, $6 Billion damage
- 1971 Sylmar: 65 deaths, $500 Million damage

Major US Hurricanes in the last 10 years (there's too many to list for 50 years):
- 2012 Sandy: 72 deaths, $71 Billion damage
- 2011 Irene: 47 deaths, $16 Billion damage
- 2008 Ike: 112 deaths, $30 Billion damage
- 2005 Rita: 120 deaths, $12 Billion damage
- 2005 Katrina: 1,836 deaths, $108 Billion damage
- 2004 Charley: 10 deaths, $15 Billion damage
- 2004 Frances: 49 deaths, $9 Billion damage
- 2004 Ivan: 121 deaths, $19 Billion damage

You're much better off in earthquake country. And yes, I have lived through a major earthquake (Loma Prieta) and have experienced many smaller earthquakes since then. That same year the east coast was struck by Hurricane Hugo, which caused even more damage than the Loma Prieta earthquake.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
^^puts it in perspective

Winter in Miami is nice, otherwise California dominates this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California