Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times

Advertisements

Apartment living sucks and it's a big part of the reason I'm planning on leaving the state to be able to afford decent housing without shared walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM

10,009 posts, read 9,433,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Apartment living sucks and it's a big part of the reason I'm planning on leaving the state to be able to afford decent housing without shared walls.
I hear yah..... good luck.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times
City-Data does seem to have a real anti-apartment and pro-SFR bias. I personally tend to prefer apartments and condos to SFRs generally speaking, although I'd obviously rather be in an SFR in a better spot than an apartment in a worse spot. There are good and bad in both.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM

143 posts, read 391,981 times
I used to live next to the laundry room, and that was a huge problem. So if you move in the future, make sure you don't end up next to one.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:33 PM

143 posts, read 391,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
I think apt living was conceived before the population became so diverse. No, don't laugh at me. Think of the NY neighborhoods that were mostly Italian or Irish after WWI. They must have gotten along a bit better than we do today. )
Nah, apartment living was a pain before WWII. But I think the invention of the TV and stereo have created more noise polution since that time. I find heavy bass particularly troubling in the last decade or so, earplugs don't work against the heavy vibration. The fad for wood floors does nothing for noise control either.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,917,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I guess I'm lucky then.. It doesn't smell like an ashtray... I can hear people laughing though... I can ALWAYS hear children playing outside in the courtyard (it's not just one particular neighbor's child, it's like ALL of them, ALL of the neighbors kids, a whole herd of em'). There's a bunch of them. They are always loud and screaming and laughing or something..

Sometimes I can even hear kids (they look like they are 11 or 12) skateboarding etc. It's probably worse because they are in summer session right now.

This is a completely different topic! This is not about THOSE neighbors, these are about hearing any neighbor etc.. not just them... About hearing other tenants in general when living in a complex.

Wow! Imagine that ... she hears kids playing outside in the daytime! Kids skateboarding! What is this world coming to? Everyone's just gone crazy!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,945,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Wow! Imagine that ... she hears kids playing outside in the daytime! Kids skateboarding! What is this world coming to? Everyone's just gone crazy!!!
Because it's illegal for kids to skateboard in the complex. I am sure there are laws against that and I think there is some stipulation about that in the apartment lease. One time I saw a cop talking to a bunch of really young looking kids (they looked like they were 10) on the street outside for skateboarding so it's against the law. But sometimes I can hear these kids inside the complex (not on the street) but in the courtyard and such.

The complex I lived in before didn't have kids playing outside, at least none that I could hear at all. I preferred it that way. The sound of loud kids really irritates me. Everytime I hear them I shut my window and put on music to drown out their loud playing/screaming/shrieking whatever it is that they are doing.

I didn't think of that before I moved in here... I didn't think that a disadvantage of the courtyard would be kids playing etc. The last apartment was not really kid friendly, except for the pool area but I could't hear the kids from there so I didn't care... It was more of a luxury apartment and the outside area was more like of a driveway with constant cars going in and out so kids wouldn't play there... I much preferred that place.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Because it's illegal for kids to skateboard in the complex. I am sure there are laws against that and I think there is some stipulation about that in the apartment lease. One time I saw a cop talking to a bunch of really young looking kids (they looked like they were 10) on the street outside for skateboarding so it's against the law. But sometimes I can hear these kids inside the complex (not on the street) but in the courtyard and such.

The complex I lived in before didn't have kids playing outside, at least none that I could hear at all. I preferred it that way. The sound of loud kids really irritates me. Everytime I hear them I shut my window and put on music to drown out their loud playing/screaming/shrieking whatever it is that they are doing.

I didn't think of that before I moved in here... I didn't think that a disadvantage of the courtyard would be kids playing etc. The last apartment was not really kid friendly, except for the pool area but I could't hear the kids from there so I didn't care... It was more of a luxury apartment and the outside area was more like of a driveway with constant cars going in and out so kids wouldn't play there... I much preferred that place.
Then maybe you should move back there. You sound like a really uptight, sourpuss old lady. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but there are other people living on this planet - and they all have lives!

Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,945,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Then maybe you should move back there. You sound like a really uptight, sourpuss old lady. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but there are other people living on this planet - and they all have lives!
I'm not old at all. I am actually rather young. I have always been uptight tho, I will give you that. Even in my teens I never partied, drank, went out etc. I always preferred quietness over loudness and yes I have always been sort of uptight.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not old at all. I am actually rather young. I have always been uptight tho, I will give you that. Even in my teens I never partied, drank, went out etc. I always preferred quietness over loudness and yes I have always been sort of uptight.
Maybe you should just relax a little. I don't like a lot of noise either, but cut the kids some slack - they're KIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: