Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:35 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,247,040 times

Advertisements

Do you guys/gals get tired of people from all over the US moving to or wanting to move to your state? Every day there are threads about people wanting to move to the state and so on and so on.

I'm asking because California is the only state really that has people from all over wanting to come and live(sure other states in the US have that, but California is the main state you really hear about having thousands come each year). I think by 2020 California is supposed to have 50 million people in the state(I read that somewhere). Most people don't live in a state where countless people flock to, so I'm just kind of wondering what you native people in California think.

So yeah, just wondering if it gets old living in a place that keeps growing with people year after year. Anyone have anything to say?

**Not bashing anyone moving to the state or wanting to move to the state. Just simply asking what someone from California thinks about it.***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
I've been here in So Cal all of my 54 years, and I say "welcome", as long as you're a self-supporting legal citizen that is. The only imports who get on my nerves are the ones who come here and do nothing but whine about how much better things are "back home" (usually New Yorkers). And the ones who use the term "Cali".

Yes, it's getting crowded, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I might as well make the best of the situation.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:20 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,051,521 times
There are no native Californians. They all moved to Oregon, Utah, and Idaho.

I moved here from Texas just over 25 years ago and not once have I ever been made to feel unwelcome. Quite the opposite in fact.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Do you guys/gals get tired of people from all over the US moving to or wanting to move to your state? Every day there are threads about people wanting to move to the state and so on and so on.
Of course that's what you'll read on a relocation website and forum. I see the same thing for Alabama (and the same question is asked of native Alabamians, about if they like people from Virginia and DC and other places moving in.)

Also, I wonder how relevant the question is lately.

More are moving out of California than in - Los Angeles Times

Saying Goodbye California Sun, Hello Midwest - NY Times

Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,328,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Not at all! My wife and I are both natives, in our early 60s and retired. Early next month we are moving to our new home in SW Missouri on a large lake.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:56 AM

879 posts, read 2,868,922 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I've been here in So Cal all of my 54 years, and I say "welcome", as long as you're a self-supporting legal citizen that is. The only imports who get on my nerves are the ones who come here and do nothing but whine about how much better things are "back home" (usually New Yorkers). And the ones who use the term "Cali".

Yes, it's getting crowded, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I might as well make the best of the situation.
I'm a native Californian who moved to Missouri (via Nevada) and I have to agree/applaud/laugh. The "back home" complaint is rampant here too. I think if you look at any state's forum, some people want to move out, some are moving (or want to) move in. We moved strictly for family reasons...not because we were unhappy or had experienced anything bad in CA. It was just something we had to do at the time.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM

17 posts, read 46,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

I am a native Californian and I pretty much agree with Fontucky, as long as you are self supporting and legal.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:01 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,988,658 times
I have no problem My only"complaint" is more of a personal issue. I live in an area that gets a lot of tranferees and it is difficult to maintain friendships when people get fed up with the COL and leave after a couple of years. Both my kids are grown now but of all the families I met and became friendly with while they were going to school, only 2 are still here. And they are native Californians as well. I've kept in close contact with only one family who moved here from Texas then left for NJ with a job transfer, everyone else just sort of faded away with time. It's too bad.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 18,585 times
I moved to "Cali" 8 years ago and have found it filled with both untrusting and untrustworthy people native or not. There are also people with integrity and hold values to promote a good lifestyle. The property taxes aren't as high as Austin Texas per value of a property, the weather where I live is unbelievably temporate, and if you harbor yourself in your little piece of paradise, you don't have to deal with the traffic. Yet, I am not sure this is nirvana, the state is divided with the pros and cons of using illegal immigrants to feast on. The unemployment rate is at 13% and that doesn't include all the people who left the country. The educational systems are self praising and don't produce results any better than most other states. Shelf space in grocery and department stores is severely limited giving less choice for consumers. Title 13 stiffles resident transfers and ultimately hurts the economy as we have recently seen in southern California tax revenues. I guess what this means is that California is becoming my home- affectionately termed "Cali"-

Old 08-15-2009, 01:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,928,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
There are no native Californians. They all moved to Oregon, Utah, and Idaho.

I moved here from Texas just over 25 years ago and not once have I ever been made to feel unwelcome. Quite the opposite in fact.
I'm a native Californian - born and raised here by parents who are native Californians as well. I already raised one native Californian and am finishing up raising another native Californian. I believe my native Californian children will go on to spawn more native Californians of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California