Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:47 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
California is a dying state. It saw its peak but those days are over. Unemployment is very high. Australia has more going for it by far. You would be far better off finding an apprenticeship in Oz and getting some good work experience.
California is not a dying state!
Economic and political and social difficulties doesn't = dying!
The world is in trouble and California is a huge and diverse state where the problems and issues of this time are manifesting in a big way.
That doesn't mean it's doomed!
It means it's going through changes / upheaval.
And he clearly has a need and desire to leave his homeland at this point in his life and, as long as he's smart about it and knows how to stay safe, he could be congratulated for having the courage to start a new life ... a fresh start ... in California which, ideally and historically, provides that chance.
C'mon over O.P.
Just be smart and make sure that on-line friend is truly a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM

9 posts, read 15,437 times
Thanks for the graigslist. it has a lot of usefull stuff. Maybe i might even rent out a room untill i can find a house

Thanks coyote. Yeah im quite sure. Thanks mate.

Thank you everyone once more !

Anymore info would be GREAT!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWSOME View Post
Thanks for the graigslist. it has a lot of usefull stuff. Maybe i might even rent out a room untill i can find a house

Thanks coyote. Yeah im quite sure. Thanks mate.

Thank you everyone once more !

Anymore info would be GREAT!
What kind of "scene" do you want.
What kind of nature?
Weather?
Do you want a small town? mountains? desert? ocean? bigger town? city?, etc.
People/culture?
Are you a "hippie" kind of guy?
Straight? Gay?
Liberal?
More specific details will help.
California is a very big and diverse state (more so than any other place in the U.S.) both culturally and environmentally.
So if you're coming over it would be best for you to land in a community that you really resonate with to avoid getting stuck somewhere that doesn't suit you.
p.s. does "mate" = guy 'cause i'm not.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
What kind of "scene" do you want.
What kind of nature?
Weather?
Do you want a small town? mountains? desert? ocean? bigger town? city?, etc.
People/culture?
Are you a "hippie" kind of guy?
Straight? Gay?
Liberal?
More specific details will help.
California is a very big and diverse state (more so than any other place in the U.S.) both culturally and environmentally.
So if you're coming over it would be best for you to land in a community that you really resonate with to avoid getting stuck somewhere that doesn't suit you.
p.s. does "mate" = guy 'cause i'm not.
Nice people. culture doesent mater
im not a hippie kind of guy haha.
Im Straight
I am more into small kinds of towns, but not to far away from the city.
Im not worried about weather. I can put up with hot weather aswell as cold.

Sorry for calling you mate

Cheers

Old 08-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWSOME View Post
Nice people. culture doesent mater
im not a hippie kind of guy haha.
Im Straight
I am more into small kinds of towns, but not to far away from the city.
Im not worried about weather. I can put up with hot weather aswell as cold.

Sorry for calling you mate

Cheers

To me, the best of California is either on the coast or in the Sierra mountains.
Since you're open and tolerant, i guess you have a lot of options.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:39 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
California is a dying state. It saw its peak but those days are over. Unemployment is very high. Australia has more going for it by far. You would be far better off finding an apprenticeship in Oz and getting some good work experience.
I was kinda thinking the same thing. America is in debt over its eyeballs yet its citizens keep wanting the gov't. to do more without paying for it. The government itself is unaccountable to the taxpayers for all it spends.

California is like the rest of America, although its problems are worse than average.

Australia is in much better financial shape than the US.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I was kinda thinking the same thing. America is in debt over its eyeballs yet its citizens keep wanting the gov't. to do more without paying for it. The government itself is unaccountable to the taxpayers for all it spends.

California is like the rest of America, although its problems are worse than average.

Australia is in much better financial shape than the US.
Because Australia HAS to be economically competitive due to its smaller population than the US (about the size of Texas' population, with an economy about the same size as Texas' as well), so it can't rest on its laurels in the same way. Even the crappiest Australian governments are very conscious of economic competitiveness.

However, aside from the current crisis, Aussies generally feel at home in California. Victorians in particular find San Francisco to be very similar to Melbourne and the rural north near the Bay Area has some parallels to rural Victoria.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah i know that australia is a lot better economically.
I just do not like it here. Family issues and such. wont go into details

Thanks again for the help. Im looking somewhere in LA !

Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Because Australia HAS to be economically competitive due to its smaller population than the US (about the size of Texas' population, with an economy about the same size as Texas' as well), so it can't rest on its laurels in the same way. Even the crappiest Australian governments are very conscious of economic competitiveness.

However, aside from the current crisis, Aussies generally feel at home in California. Victorians in particular find San Francisco to be very similar to Melbourne and the rural north near the Bay Area has some parallels to rural Victoria.
I'm not sure Australia is competitive because it has to be. It has to be competitive if it wants to be high income country, but that is true of all countries. The US will not be a high income country if it continues down its current path.

There are lots of 3rd World countries (Mexico comes to mind, but there are many others) that could be high income countries if they (colletively speaking) made the right choices. Some countries (India, China, Brazil, Chile), are figuring this out, while others still languish (most of Africa, Venezuela).

As for Aussies being comforbable in CA, I can see that. But you're not going to be comfortable if you are in a terrible social and economic environment. I think the social/economic enviornment is probably better in Australia than anywhere in America, although it could be that I just think the grass is greener somewhere else. It is a fact, however, that Australia's government has very low debt compared to most other parts of the world, so they have the ability to withstand many more economic shocks than the US.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm not sure Australia is competitive because it has to be. It has to be competitive if it wants to be high income country, but that is true of all countries. The US will not be a high income country if it continues down its current path.

There are lots of 3rd World countries (Mexico comes to mind, but there are many others) that could be high income countries if they (colletively speaking) made the right choices. Some countries (India, China, Brazil, Chile), are figuring this out, while others still languish (most of Africa, Venezuela).

As for Aussies being comforbable in CA, I can see that. But you're not going to be comfortable if you are in a terrible social and economic environment. I think the social/economic enviornment is probably better in Australia than anywhere in America, although it could be that I just think the grass is greener somewhere else. It is a fact, however, that Australia's government has very low debt compared to most other parts of the world, so they have the ability to withstand many more economic shocks than the US.
Australia is a lot cheaper. But i am not worried about money. I will do whatever i need to do to make a living until i can get what i want. I would be more then happy to do a apprenticeship or even courses until i can find a job or apprenticeship.

I will probably rent out a room until i can get a house set up.
Thanks any more help much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California