Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM

230 posts, read 623,461 times

Advertisements

I knew she'd come back. I could have saved her the trouble. She thought that newspapers were thriving in Washington State? Tell that to my family who works in the biz, and have seen so many of the papers fire 50% or more of the staff, and work with a skeleton crew.

Weather? Oops. She found out the ugly little secret that hits the California exiles at the 4-year mark when they move to the PNW: The weather. Now, there are some folks that move up there and can manage the (literally) 9 months of gray skies, but it depends on where you're from and how much money you have, connections, etc. But the weather in Washington State (on the West Side) is abysmal. While too many Californians (myself included!) thought "oh, I LOVE rain! This will be great!" as we packed up for this seemingly Shangri La place of better housing prices, all that green, and no income tax.

If the weather doesn't eat you alive, then the prices on food and utilities, will. The rents and the housing prices, are frankly not much different to California anymore. You can't rent anything safe from under $1,200.00 in Seattle. And the houses are selling for 500k an up.

The weather.. ah.. well.. try to imagine not seeing any sun for 4 weeks at a time. Try to imagine getting 37-40 inches of rain, but it's spread out from October 10th to July 5th, as a dark drizzle. The joke is that only up here can you go to work in the pitch dark, and come home in the pitch dark, and only work 8 to 5pm. Did I mention it's dark?? The summers can be lovely. That is when they take all the Chamber of Commerce pics. But, it's also muggy in a weird way. Doesn't cool down at night.

The people I know that moved to washington from Cali, and then returned or are trying to return, all cite the people. You really miss the people of California. For all the grouchy people here that complain about Californians, they are predominantly NICE. But more than polite/nice, they are open and warm. The Seattle Freeze is real. The people are polite, but you can't seem to really break the shell with them. I never have trouble making friends, even when I've moved to areas of California where I didn't know a soul, I met lifelong friends quickly. I was in the PNW for years, and have no friends to show for it. It's not that they're not good people, it's just that they aren't welcoming into their circles, or perhaps it's that you don't see neighbors for months and months on end.

The food prices are so high here, and the farmer's markets are short-lived. And in the town I've just left, the farmer's markets had no farmers. It was just some plants, and carved toys. I'm like "where are the vegetables???" You get sooo spoiled in California by the fresh foods, and outdoor activities.

I'm writing this to save some other people from making the same mistake I, and the writer, made. Unless you really truly KNOW the place you're moving to (perhaps grew up there, or have a big family unit there,) you should just rent for a few years (it takes 2-4 years for the 'new place' fairy dust to wear off,) before cutting ties. And don't make a big deal about moving. It's embarrassing when you come back.

OH. and the biggest point I want to make is this. California a huge place! So many different experiences, and neighborhoods, and climates. You could find some pretty amazing places in this State, and still leave whatever it is you're trying to escape. The State does not have a huge tax burden, frankly. Try moving to Texas or Oregon, or New Jersey. Every State gets their money from you somehow, unless you choose to live in a place that has very few services, and a lifestyle that shows for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 01:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Those that had the courage to buy California while people were bailing have made out pretty well.
Only some of them have, when there is so much poverty in California that over half the Federal Poverty Funds are spent in California, and more than 1/5 people are living in poverty in the state. I don't call that making out pretty well for those people. In addition there are a lot of people, living just above poverty which is not making out pretty well.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Only some of them have, when there is so much poverty in California that over half the Federal Poverty Funds are spent in California, and more than 1/5 people are living in poverty in the state. I don't call that making out pretty well for those people. In addition there are a lot of people, living just above poverty which is not making out pretty well.
You are a very sad man.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:30 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,890 times
She made the mistake of moving to the Pacific NW. Most of it is basically 75% of California COL at 50% QOL.

Should have moved to Texas or other parts of the South. 40% of COL at 50%QOL.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:11 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
She made the mistake of moving to the Pacific NW. Most of it is basically 75% of California COL at 50% QOL.

She says she lived in Lake Chelan, which is on the east side of the Cascades and far sunnier and drier than Seattle. Quite beautiful too!
Sort of like equating California=San Francisco/LA
Washington=Seattle

Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
And who'd settle for that?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And who'd settle for that?
People who value getting more for their money?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
...at 50% quality of life? I don't know anyone who would.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
Quote:
That is not getting more for their money.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Who moves out of southern CA and comes back? Just about everyone I know says its the best thing they ever did, dont miss a thing and want me to join them. I mean, unless you are in love with ridiculous traffic all hours of the day, insanely high prices for housing, gas, groceries, car registration and insurance, taxes, an area being overrun by illegals and 10,000 criminals being released on to the street from 33 prisons...who would want to leave?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California