Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times

Advertisements

My opinion: Why does it bother you?

I mean, if I'm typing, I wouldn't type "Cali" or "California". I'd type CA or State of CA. People know what I mean. If I'm speaking to someone I might say Cali on occasion, so what? Why is it okay to call San Diego "*****" (which I don't do, because THAT is ghetto), San Francisco "Cisco", Chicago "Chi-Town", New Orleans "Nawlans", and Houston "H-Town", but people can't shorten California?

Oh, and to those that say California natives don't say "Cali"...

YouTube - I Love Cali-Roscoe ft. Fingazz

Whether you like the music or not is no nevermind. Some of these people were born and raised in California, and it debunks your theory that California natives do not say "Cali". It's false.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:41 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Whether you like the music or not is no nevermind. Some of these people were born and raised in California, and it debunks your theory that California natives do not say "Cali". It's false.
They're wanna be New Yorkers.

Also keep in mind that CA people can use NYC slang (or that from elsewhere) in a humorous sense.

Whatever happened to "Califas"?At least that slang term had some serious history in CA going back to the '30s.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
They're wanna be New Yorkers.

Also keep in mind that CA people can use NYC slang (or that from elsewhere) in a humorous sense.

Whatever happened to "Califas"?At least that slang term had some serious history in CA going back to the '30s.
Roscoe was born in Philly but raised in California and has lived out here ever since.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
I'm from Ohio and don't call it "Cali". Infact, none of my friends call it "Cali". We all say "California".

Know what's funny though? I was visitng California a few months ago and a few people, born and raised in California, called their state "Cali", and they didn't even know I was from Ohio (in case someone says they only said that on purpose because of where I was from).

Why does everyone care anyways? A lot of people in California and outside of California call it "Cali". There's more important things in life to worry about. You can't controll what people say, so what's the big deal?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 PM

143 posts, read 393,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Why does everyone care anyways? A lot of people in California and outside of California call it "Cali". There's more important things in life to worry about. You can't controll what people say, so what's the big deal?
Let me turn it back around on you -- and this not really aimed at you, just a general response to people who've made similar comments which puzzle me -- why do you care? If people in a state you don't even live in want to debate over what they call the place, why are you getting involved in the discussion? Why are you even reading the California boards to begin with? If there are more important things in life, why are you wasting your time posting a response about a matter that doesn't even concern you? And if you think you can't control what people say, why are you trying to control what we talk about by criticizing the fact that we are even talking about it?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Thumbs up Hmmmm...I've wondered that same thing too Latchkey Kid

Why does it seem that the POT is always calling the KETTLE black ??? It appears to me that quite a few folks on CDF have more time on their hands than sense !

Anyhow, good thread OP ! The term "Cali" bugs me too . I'm NOT a native, but I lived there longer than most who say they are and I don't recall using or hearing the term until rather recently . But then again, I wasn't a homie or livin' in da hood either . LOL ! Naw, I'm just kidding. I guess the places where I lived and the persons that I hung around with, just didn't use the term 'Cali'.

Of course, this is a FREE country and I have mucher bigger fish to fry than debating whether saying CALI is or is not acceptable !!

Carry on peeps !!! And try hard not to take this thread too personally !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Kid View Post
Let me turn it back around on you -- and this not really aimed at you, just a general response to people who've made similar comments which puzzle me -- why do you care? If people in a state you don't even live in want to debate over what they call the place, why are you getting involved in the discussion? Why are you even reading the California boards to begin with? If there are more important things in life, why are you wasting your time posting a response about a matter that doesn't even concern you? And if you think you can't control what people say, why are you trying to control what we talk about by criticizing the fact that we are even talking about it?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Kid View Post
Haha good reply. But since you asked:

Quote:
why do you care?
I don't, I just find it humorous people get so bent out of shape over something like this.

Quote:
Why are you even reading the California boards to begin with?
I feel like it? Isn't that part of the freedom of this site?

Quote:
If people in a state you don't even live in want to debate over what they call the place, why are you getting involved in the discussion?
Because I live in Ohio and Ohio was mentioned in the first post, as if everyone in Ohio calls California "Cali". That concerned me, to let everyone know that hey, not everyone here says "Cali", ya know, we aren't all that "ignorant".

Quote:
If there are more important things in life, why are you wasting your time posting a response about a matter that doesn't even concern you?
Probably the same reason you're replying to me.

Quote:
And if you think you can't control what people say, why are you trying to control what we talk about by criticizing the fact that we are even talking about it?
Where did I say I was trying to controll what people said? I said you can't control what people say, and then I gave my opinion on the topic. I don't see where I was ordering and demanding people to stop talking about this topic.

Hey, you asked!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:59 AM

Oh dear, you've really missed my point and I don't think I can explain it any better. But as far as being "bent out of shape" I think you're making an assumption here. It's not so much the people who object to the use of "Cali" getting upset, it's the "why does it bother you?" camp, the "this is a stupid thread" camp, and the "you're wrong! we all call it Cali" camp. And then there's the troll.

And you are the one who said this was a waste of time, not me. When you don't care or think something is stupid, you simply don't reply, but what you don't do is get in the fight.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:25 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,906 times
IMO it's kinda like "the OC" (not the show, but calling Orange County the OC). When the show first aired, everyone I knew laughed since we never called it the OC (I lived next door in Riverside County...my brother and many of my friends lived in Orange County). As years passed, more and more people started calling it the OC. Now, even long time Orange County natives (and those that live in neighboring counties like San Bernadino and Riverside call it the OC).

Many in California call it Cali. My best friend calls it Cali all the time...he was born and bred here. I call it Cali sometimes...i lived most of my life in SoCal, my family has been here for three generations (fairly long, but longer than many). It's just a word.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
my family has been here for three generations (fairly long, but longer than many).
So then you must have some old family diaries and letters showing that the term Cali has been used by residents for at least a hundred years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California