Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You forgot sour dough bread and the best, and one of the very few good things to ever come out of San Francisco, Anchor Steam beer!
That's an awfully extreme statement.

I wonder how your attitudes towards the Bay Area would've been if you'd grown up in let's say '50s Marin instead of '50s OC (rough equivalents even though both counties went off in very different directions in the intervening years).

Actually, it's easy to predict. You'd be one of those old time Bay Area people who have always viewed SoCal as "hell on earth", like the late SF Chronicle writer Ralph J. Gleason, and who are extremely prejudiced against Southern Californians.

Anchor Steam is America's best beer. There are better beers made elsewhere such as the UK but I doubt you'd find them in the Ozarks. (Aren't there still some dry counties there?)

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
That's an awfully extreme statement.

I wonder how your attitudes towards the Bay Area would've been if you'd grown up in let's say '50s Marin instead of '50s OC (rough equivalents even though both counties went off in very different directions in the intervening years).

Actually, it's easy to predict. You'd be one of those old time Bay Area people who have always viewed SoCal as "hell on earth", like the late SF Chronicle writer Ralph J. Gleason, and who are extremely prejudiced against Southern Californians.

Anchor Steam is America's best beer. There are better beers made elsewhere such as the UK but I doubt you'd find them in the Ozarks. (Aren't there still some dry counties there?)
I don't think so.

If I'd grown up in '50s Marin I'd likely be richer, a total "progressive" liberal, a bit full of myself and more out of touch with reality. And Gleason wasn't far wrong. I would have likely sneered at SoCal as well, even "The" OC. I certainly do now!

Anchor Steam RULES! There are dry counties in the Ozarks but not many and those are primarily in AR. Missouri (where we're headed) state law specifically prohibits any counties, or unincorporated city or town from banning the retail sale of liquor, but only allows incorporated cities to ban the sale of liquor by the drink by public referendum. None have done so thus far.

By the way, I found Anchor Steam in a couple of store near our new home!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:40 PM

250 posts, read 246,353 times
it's a good thing that the older group of people who mind california being called cali are going to die soon or enter the early stages of dementia and will no longer be able to make this an issue.
enjoy whatever few years you have left

Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
it's a good thing that the older group of people who mind california being called cali are going to die soon or enter the early stages of dementia and will no longer be able to make this an issue.
You'll be there soon enough. As my dear-ol' dad used to say, "one day you're 21, the next you're all used up!" Frighteningly true!

But if the rap videos posted on this thread are an indication of what the next generation of "calis" getting ready to take the reigns are like, I'm more than happy to plan my escape route now and spend "whatever few years [ I ] have left" somewhere else. Ain't no California Dreamin' about that!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:59 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
I think it sounds hick, but you have to admit it's fun to say "Cali!" *smile!*

Old 09-01-2009, 08:10 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
Cool you'll have your turn!

Quote:
Awwww... Don't worry. Your generation will be very peeved with what the people 10-20 years younger comes up with.

It's called "getting old" - when you don't like new things - we know it - you don't have to rub it in! I hope you enjoy your remaining years as well!

It WILL happen to you. You will grow old & likely PISSED off. And life will go on!

Younger people have endless imagination to rouse the older generations! Remember when people thought ELVIS was a problem? Long hair on boys/men?

For example, do you like the new dollar bills? The new coins? I didn't at first, but it's no skin off my teeth.

I hated hearing 'Cali' at first (for a couple of years) but it's growin' on me, just like rap & hip hop did. It just takes awhile.

Take it easy on us - you're so mouthy!

Peace, Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 09-01-2009 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: psychodelic coloring!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,122 times
Quote:
I'm planning to pass it on to my youngins! just you see!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 AM

79 posts, read 197,355 times
24 pages...wow. i skipped to the last page after page 2 . i call it cali, just like i'd call southern california so cal...and my last name is San Diego, and my hometown is San Diego...i'm not kidding either.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM

166 posts, read 489,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REGGieSD View Post
24 pages...wow. i skipped to the last page after page 2 . i call it cali, just like i'd call southern california so cal...and my last name is San Diego, and my hometown is San Diego...i'm not kidding either.
well...that settles it! if a san diego from san diego calls it cali, then that's good enough for me. and thanks for serving in our armed forces also, Reginald.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM

570 posts, read 1,583,298 times
I can think of alot worse things to call Cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California