Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
A fun bit of advice to some that would visit or even live in this Golden State -
Please do NOT use the term Cali when referring to California. You will instantly be identified as someone who knows nothing about CA and will peg yourself as a desperate East Coast or Midwestern native that only knows CA through the eyes of reality television, MTV, or various faux representations of what CA is and life here is like.

Example, a conversation from someone from Akron OH,

Ohio girl: OMG!! I'm going to Cali this weekend.
Californian: I think you mean, California, we call it California here.
Ohio girl: well that place is da bomb.
Californian: We stopped using that slang quite a while ago.
Ohio girl: ohhh, my bad
Californian: (slight groan)

People from CA know that CA is not monolithic and homogeneous, it is varied and diverse. We refer to specific locations in CA, like SF, the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, Yosemite, Newport Beach, Venice, etc.

Using the term Cali, is like calling Hors d'œuvres , "horse doovers", which will elicit the same sort of snickering and occasional contempt from Californians. Please expunge the term "Cali" from your lexicon. The only time Cali is appropriate is if you are an international adventurer off to Cali Colombia, in which case the lowbrow use of "Cali" would have never entered your mind.
I suppose we could call it pile of ----, whch is pretty much what it has become. What make you think California is better than any other state? It is falling apart, except for the 2% or so that are wealthy.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawktx View Post
Using the word Cali is almost as annoying as language police on message boards.
Please go back and edit your post to include a grammatical error so I can correct you.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I suppose we could call it pile of ----, whch is pretty much what it has become. What make you think California is better than any other state? It is falling apart, except for the 2% or so that are wealthy.
I'm doing just fine, thank you veddy much, and I'm not even remotely wealthy. Stop believing all you read about California and I'll stop believing all I read about people from MN. Not that I ever started, but I'm making a point here doncha know. You betcha dere.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:54 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Hey - You pickin on MN? Ufdah

Old 08-20-2009, 01:01 PM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
California's seen better days.

That's more than I can say for Minnesota.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Hey - You pickin on MN? Ufdah
Never. I have deep roots there. Brainerd.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Yes, no one from California EVER uses the term "Cali." It's absurd. I never even heard this term until I got on Facebook and all thes transplanted NY-ers and Pennsylvania people think they are SO cool by saying "Cali." I just die laughing.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM

19 posts, read 74,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscassandra View Post
uh....what?

Cali born and raised, TYVM. Have you no respect for Biggie? I suppose not.

Oh well. Your opinion is your own and that's cool. However; you are wrong and you are giving others the wrong impression.

People under 30 call this lovable land Cali with a smile in our hearts. I once moved away for 6 months and on the plane ride back I had B.I.G. stuck in my head..."I'm goin, goin...back, back...to Cali, Cali."

Again, it's cool that you have that opinion, however; your assessment is incorrect.

We do say "Cali" and "dude" and we pronounce it "Mountain Dyeewwww". Don't be mad at it....embrace it, BRAH!

much love...

I agree with misscassandra. I have been in Cali all my life and I am 42 and still call it Cali, so do most people I know. Who knew there would be people that would be bothered by it. Who cares! I don't see what the big deal is. Everyone has a right to their opinion though and I respect that. Just don't speak for all Californians.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
The term Cali belongs in 80's rap songs.

Beyond that, just say 'California'. Or, if you must shorten it, just type CA, which is the actual, official abbreviation. No one will get bugged by that. As for me, I'm goin' back to Collie.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 PM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
The new official state names

ALI
ALASKI
ARI
ARKI
CALI
COLI
CONNI
DELI
FLORI
GEORGI
HAWI
IDI
ILLI
INDI
IOWI
KANSI
KENTI
LOUIE
MAINEY
MASSI
MICHI
MINNI
MISSI
MISSI
MONTI
NEBRI
NEVI
HAMPSHI
JERSI
MEXI
YORKI
NORCARI
NORDAKI
OHI
OKLI
ORI
PENNSI
RHODI
SOCARI
SODAKI
TENNI
TEXI
UTI
VERMI
VIRGI
WASHI
WEVIRGI
WISSI
WYOMI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California