Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I doubt imaginary beings have anything to do with your situation.

YouTube - George Carlin -God bless America
Hmm, in a bad mood eh? Well, God bless you too. Poor soul....

Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenchili View Post
Hmm, in a bad mood eh? Well, God bless you too. Poor soul....
No, I'm in a great mood because I'm not sick (delusional) and I don't brainwash my kids.

YouTube - Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )

Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
No, I'm in a great mood because I'm not sick (delusional) and I don't brainwash my kids.

YouTube - Brain Washing ( Jesus Camp ''Highlights'' )

I am grateful we still have some free thinkers among us

Please do not brainwash the children with imaginary beings, we got enough adults running that game. Charles, your in the bible belt arent you? I been down there before, it's pretty rough with the religion in dem der parts. Is is here too, but I like pi**ing them off

I like how the faithful love to say "God Blees You" must make them feel they got the upper hand. I bounce it back and say "No, God Bless YOU!"

Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
You need to either have a good income on your own or in combination with someone else or risk being relegated to the anus and arm pit of California.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The whole "California is too expensive" thing is part of the "bubble". 20 years or so ago things weren't that expensive, even houses. Then things exploded and went crazy for awhile but those of us who were already here didn't have a problem, just the newbies who came late the party. I know a couple who moved here from Texas because the salary the man was being offered was huge compared to what he was making there, but they were gob smacked by the cost of housing. I guess they didn't think that through too well ehh? Bottom line, many people like them were blinded by $$, but didn't bother looking at the whole picture (incredible salaries to compensate for incredible COL). Now the bubble burst and many people who came here to make their fortune are going back to wherever they came from pick up the pieces. With the economy and market correction taking place it's becoming not so expensive again, but it will always be higher than average because California is more desirable under any circumstances. And those of us who were here pre-bubble are still living our lives as always. I watched my home value go from $200k to $750k and now down to $500k in the last 20 years. It was a wild ride for some, but I sat still and didn't notice.

There are also many parts of the State that are very affordable. There are trade offs..not close to the beach or LA or SF or whatever..but most people like living there just fine.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are four main ways I see people dealing with it:
1) They are already equipped with hereditary wealth, and buy whatever they want, when they want. They are often land lords of outstanding properties that they rent out to other wealthy people and also, often own large tracts of raw land, in addition to the rest of their portfolio.
2) They are pulling seriously high income. They may also exhibit certain aspects of #1 (but a more modest version).
3) They are of modest means and abuse credit to create the illusion of comfort and plenty.
4) They live in the least "sexy" parts of the state.

People who are not part of these 4 situations are likely making some sort of significant sacrifice in order to be here.
Well, I'm a big no to all 4 of your ways. Me and my boyfriend make well under the 100k a year that most people say is a requirement for living in California. I have zero debt except for my car (which is a modest little Kia) and my credit cards, if I use them, are paid off in full monthly. Regarding #4, I can hear the ocean from my backyard and live in a very beautiful area.

Sacrifice? Depends. I don't like huge houses, I don't like huge automobiles and I don't require a ton of 'toys' to be happy. Hiking in the dunes with my dogs is plenty for me, and that's free. Well...for the time being anyway.

I love living in California, but if it's not your cup of tea, I can understand.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I am grateful we still have some free thinkers among us

Please do not brainwash the children with imaginary beings, we got enough adults running that game. Charles, your in the bible belt arent you? I been down there before, it's pretty rough with the religion in dem der parts. Is is here too, but I like pi**ing them off

I like how the faithful love to say "God Blees You" must make them feel they got the upper hand. I bounce it back and say "No, God Bless YOU!"
When someone sneezes I say "G'damn you"

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The whole "California is too expensive" thing is part of the "bubble". 20 years or so ago things weren't that expensive, even houses. Then things exploded and went crazy for awhile but those of us who were already here didn't have a problem, just the newbies who came late the party.
Housing in nice parts of California have been much more expensive than the rest of the country since at least the late 70's. The latest bubble just added onto that already expensive base.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
off the rails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California