Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The top three causes of disastrous wildfires in So Cal:

1. Human caused, arson
2. Human caused, accidental
3. Wind damaged power lines
Actually number 3 is human caused, accidental. The arsonists usually don't come out until the Santa Ana winds come up late in the fall (not that they are inclined to wait for perfect conditions.

I've also found this website to be pretty good for fire information; CALIFORNIA FIRE NEWS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM

273 posts, read 655,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Actually number 3 is human caused, accidental. The arsonists usually don't come out until the Santa Ana winds come up late in the fall (not that they are inclined to wait for perfect conditions.
I don't think he meant those to be in any order. And, he forgot lightening. That's the no. 1 cause, if you want to make an order of incidence. There is one other documented fire starter, but I don't think you'll find it on any list. That would be the prism or magnifying phenomenon of broken glass.

I guess you could chalk that up to "human caused, accidental."

(BTW, I said "he." I don't know that fontucky is a he. I'm new )

Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
climate allows more plants than AZ, which in the summer dry up. poor management by state and national park systems(too much kindling because of decades of fire prevention without any significant clearing of dead and dying plants otherwise) contributes significantly. fire is the natural method of ensuring the health of forest and plant ecosystems. the strongest/best adapted plants and animals survive, the dead and dying are killed off, and new stronger growth follows it. by not allowing these natural clearings to happen, and doing little to clean up otherwise, we get these mega-fires we have today, and things like the bark beetle spreading across our forests killing everything in its path
I'm curious why they don't do controlled burning when there is more moisture and less risk of the fire getting out of control? Here in the southeast the forestry dept will set fires in the winter to burn off the over grown brush and pine needle build-up. A lot of people don't realize that by continuously putting these fires out that they are actually making it worse in the long run.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Terrain, terrain, terrain.

They don't like to do controlled burning in the mountains because of the danger of disastrous floods and mudslides when the rains come. Keep in mind, what you people call mountains, we call small hills.

So allow the brush and duff to build up, you get fires that take out homes. Denude the watershed, and Mother Nature will make sure she takes homes with mud, boulders and torrents of water. Around here, when Mother Nature wants something, she gets it... one way or the other.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't, so we accept our fate, just like we do with the earthquakes. Some things can't be controlled.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
NBC is reporting the north LA fire was caused by arson.

L.A. fire called arson; homicide probe begins - Life- msnbc.com

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Interesting. Is there any trend in who is setting these or why, when they are set deliberately?

Old 09-04-2009, 01:29 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
Most of the time it's pretty random. Sometimes it's a cigarette butt from a car, the fire in Santa Barbara was set by a cookfire from illegal marijuana growers, sometimes it's some dumb kid trying to show off

Old 09-04-2009, 08:42 AM

273 posts, read 655,226 times
Arson is what is being reported. A cigarette butt would be ruled accidental but still carry an arson charge. It will be interesting to see what comes of this, whether it was intentional or unintentional.

This year a worker was sentenced for his role in the Catalina fire. He was using a cutting torch. The first day he started a fire and was able to put it out. The second day it got away. Certainly he was guilty of gross stupidity and negligence. But, that second day's events were avoidable more so than the first. I'd say the man was guilty of more of an intentional crime than an unintentional one.

What this has to do with the Station fire, I don't know.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:55 AM

8 posts, read 17,253 times
Arson, sounds like what they are blaming it on. I am not sure what the cause it but, I am pretty sure someone started it from all the news I am hearing.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,665,123 times
California has a unique set of circumstances during fire season.
Hot weather, careless campers, dry brush which can ignite even healthy trees,lightening strikes, wood shake roofs, and the Santana winds which can blow up to 100mph. Also of course is Arson. There are a lot of crazy as well as criminal residents and transients in CA who would do such a thing just for fun or the thrill of it.
There are laws about clearing brush from your property, but many people ignore them.
That coupled with homeowners who want to build in more rural places even though they are warned against it adds up to disaster.
I lived in CA from 1950 until 1991 and every year was the same with fires somewhere. Every few years there was a fire storm that wiped out a whole community like the one in the Hollywood Hills or a couple in Malibu. Just like the people who keep rebuilding their homes on hurricane prone beaches, people in CA rebuild and refuse to listen.
Arizona doesn't burn because most people have very minimal landscaping, there are no wood roofs and the wind conditions are not as major.

Last edited by yukiko11; 09-05-2009 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California