Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 AM

228 posts, read 791,728 times

Advertisements

My partner and I live in a suburb of Boston and have a really great life here. However, we both really don’t like winter. We sometimes talk about moving somewhere warmer. She thinks Florida, I think California. We are early to mid thirties. She owns a successful small restaurant by the water. I have a background in interior design, construction and real estate. We are fairly quiet, like to go to bed early and get up early, enjoy working out, fine dinning, and art. We don’t go to clubs or bars. My top choices for relocation would be Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, and San Lois Obispo (she has some family close to this area). We recently came back from a trip out there and visited SB and LB. We have also been to SLO on a previous trip. She thinks Naples, FL. We are going there to check it out next winter. Does anyone have any advise or thoughts?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Personally, I would choose CA over FL because of the weather. But FL is probably more affordable. Good luck with wherever you move to.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:01 AM

491 posts, read 2,283,435 times
You should check out FLA in the summer, when it's hottest and most humid - to see if you can stand it. I like FLA myself but I couldn't live there year 'round because of that humid heat. Your Cal choices are all coastal towns with some of the most beautiful year-'round weather in the world.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:49 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,654,906 times
We are at a cross roads too - but we have small kids so my choices become more limited

I say Florida for you guys, I adore California - but the taxes will kill you

Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,157,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
You should check out FLA in the summer, when it's hottest and most humid - to see if you can stand it. I like FLA myself but I couldn't live there year 'round because of that humid heat. Your Cal choices are all coastal towns with some of the most beautiful year-'round weather in the world.
My advise, STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! The quality of life in New England is far superior to California especially Southern California. I have live in S. Ca. most of my life and one year in Lexington, Ma. Please read all the threads you can in the California site and you will see what I mean. Completely different attitute, things to do, education, EVERYTHING!!!! We are moving back to Boston this summer. PM if you would like more info.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
I too think that Fla would be too hot in the summer. I am also concerned about hurricanes.

In regard to my Cali choices, I never had a hard time finding great places to live, just ones that I can afford!

Old 04-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
My advise, STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!!! The quality of life in New England is far superior to California especially Southern California. I have live in S. Ca. most of my life and one year in Lexington, Ma. Please read all the threads you can in the California site and you will see what I mean. Completely different attitute, things to do, education, EVERYTHING!!!! We are moving back to Boston this summer. PM if you would like more info.
Thank you for the advise puffle...I will pass this along to my gf. I think the reality is that we will stay here and just travel for a few weeks in the winter. I really do love where I live (sans winter) and I know it would be hard to replicate this life elsewhere. I have a friend in LA who loves it there and one in Oceanside who often thinks about moving elsewhere. Sometimes it's just fun to get other people's opinions and see what else is out there. Good luck on your move.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
We are at a cross roads too - but we have small kids so my choices become more limited

I say Florida for you guys, I adore California - but the taxes will kill you
City girl, what areas are you considering? Are your choices only based on weather, or are there other factors for you?

In regards to taxes...they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing

Old 04-30-2007, 12:34 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,157,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Thank you for the advise puffle...I will pass this along to my gf. I think the reality is that we will stay here and just travel for a few weeks in the winter. I really do love where I live (sans winter) and I know it would be hard to replicate this life elsewhere. I have a friend in LA who loves it there and one in Oceanside who often thinks about moving elsewhere. Sometimes it's just fun to get other people's opinions and see what else is out there. Good luck on your move.
What you get for your money, or should I say what you don't get, pales in comparison to Ma. Plus your state taxes are lower and no sales tax for clothes! I am renting a two bed. two bath under 1300 s.ft. condo for $2200 which sells for $650k. Laguna Niguel has no character,very cookie cutter and impossible to get out of there frwy wise. Great places to visit, not to live. Of course, that is just my little ol opinion.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,071,477 times
bluewatergirl888,

Laguna Beach is beautiful. Santa Barbara is beautiful. I have never been to SLO. I have never been to Naples either. But it sounds like you have picked some nice choices to choose from.
I was just in Laguna Beach last week. I loved the whole area and we plan on moving there ourselves in the near future (to the OC area).
Good Luck!

Roma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California