Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:56 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,210 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 30 year old white male that has lived in Northern CA my whole life. I've lived on the central coast ( Santa Cruz), Bay Area, and Chico. After reading several post on this thread I'm coming to the conclusion that the North just might be inferior to the south when it comes to entertainment, and the dating life. I mean outside of SF there just doesn't seem there is much going on up here. I'm not looking for nature because I grew up in a small town in the redwoods and have seen enough trees in my day. After high school it seems that most kids move down south for college and they never come back north. Something must be good about the south if this keeps happening year after year. I'm really not familiar with the south as I have only been to LA a few times and OC and San Deigo once. Can someone shed some light on this topic, I'm single, bored, and lonely is the south the right decision for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I'm a single 30 year old white male that has lived in Northern CA my whole life. I've lived on the central coast ( Santa Cruz), Bay Area, and Chico. After reading several post on this thread I'm coming to the conclusion that the North just might be inferior to the south when it comes to entertainment, and the dating life. I mean outside of SF there just doesn't seem there is much going on up here. I'm not looking for nature because I grew up in a small town in the redwoods and have seen enough trees in my day. After high school it seems that most kids move down south for college and they never come back north. Something must be good about the south if this keeps happening year after year. I'm really not familiar with the south as I have only been to LA a few times and OC and San Deigo once. Can someone shed some light on this topic, I'm single, bored, and lonely is the south the right decision for me?
This is the greenest grass on the other side of the fence post I've ever read.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:41 PM

Well, it is something that I have observed heavily over the past decade and I just can't deny it anymore. All of my friends have moved south and they never came back. I tried to make things work out for me up here but there seems to be a real shortage of single women and younger late 20's early 30's people in general. SF is ridiculously expensive and San Jose is quite possible he most boring city in CA. Chico is nothing but a college party town in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Well, it is something that I have observed heavily over the past decade and I just can't deny it anymore.

Have you actually reviewed demographic data? Or, is this just one person's observation?

You could probably walk six blocks away from where ever you are living now, and experience a completely different mix of people, married, single, old, young, homeowners, renters, blue people, green people, etc.

Moving to Southern California sounds like an expensive way to make changes.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I met my wife in Yosemite.
Born and raised in So CA, married a So CA girl 30 years ago then divorced. Dated around a lot of So Ca girls, but found no one I wanted to marry. Moved to Yosemite and met my wife at a county fair. We dated for 10 years then we married.

The key to finding the one is to not look. You have to find yourself happy without others first, when you are lonely you will reek of desperation and drive women away. Find one thing or more in yourself that you enjoy and go do it, I dove into Scuba. Find a group that does what you like and participate. When you appear as thou you enjoy life someone will find you. The key is to improve yourself to make yourself more enticing, you have to be more.

Remember thou, where ever you find your mate they will want to continue doing that activity. Find someone in a bar, they will want to always be in a bar. Church girls will want to go to church, etc,,,,

Personally I find So CA girls to be shallow and money grubbing. Always comparing your wallet to someone else's. The So CA women play more games on dating, No CA girls will call you up and not let you forget them. We too have seen most people move away from No CA. There are often better fields to sow in the south land as far as employment. But I think there is a better quality of life in No CA.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Well, it is something that I have observed heavily over the past decade and I just can't deny it anymore. All of my friends have moved south and they never came back. I tried to make things work out for me up here but there seems to be a real shortage of single women and younger late 20's early 30's people in general. SF is ridiculously expensive and San Jose is quite possible he most boring city in CA. Chico is nothing but a college party town in the middle of nowhere.
Geez LostLeaf ... Santa Cruz is full of pretty women in their 20's and 30's ... and 40's.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Try these:

Adult sports leagues
Ask your colleagues if they know any friends your age
There are young adult church groups (which believe or not I was part of strictly for social reasons - it paid off.)
Community college classes (I deliberately took Art 3D, Art 2D, when I was in an engineering undergrad just to meet chicks - it paid off.)
Yoga
Women's discount shoe stores (like fishing in a barrel)
There always seems to be lots of hot elementary school teachers....just need to find a way to meet them.
Library events
Dog training

Old 09-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Geez LostLeaf ... Santa Cruz is full of pretty women in their 20's and 30's ... and 40's.

I've lived in the Santa Cruz area most of my life spend about 25 years in the SC mountains. To me Santa Cruz is a place full of hippies, college students, and angry punk surfers. Santa Cruz is just to small and frankly I'm completely sick of the place. So SC is not an option for me.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:25 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,261,634 times
Norcal is definately more of a sausage fest because of the type of jobs that are in Norcal.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:40 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Have you actually reviewed demographic data? Or, is this just one person's observation?
Demographic data suggests that The Bay Area attracts highly educated 20-somethings at a very high rate.

Los Angeles-OC does too.

Both Metro Areas attract this demographic from all over the country and world.

As far as N-S and S-N migration, its actually a small number and is about even with slightly a higher number moving north than those moving south.

The OPs obviously relying on their own limited experiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California