Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Smoking is making a comeback with the younger set, sadly. Vegans that smoke, now there is logical inconsistency.

I won't even smoke cigarettes made from eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Quite often, you will find that a nearby city has one, so they don't need to saturate their market. In the cases of those areas you mentioned, here are some nearby places that have them:

Woodland and Yuba City are both less than 50 miles from Sacramento, which has three stores, and several more in neighboring communities. Since Yuba City (and a few others you mentioned) is fairly small (<50,000 population), it probably doesn't have much demand for one.

Merced is about 40 miles from Modesto, which has a store, and about 55 miles from Fresno, which has two. Hanford is only about 35 miles from Fresno.

Palmdale is only about 32 miles from Santa Clarita, and Victorville is only about 35 miles from San Bernardino.

Most of the communities you mentioned are small bedroom communities of other larger cities, most of which have a Macy's store. Eureka and Chico seem to be the exceptions. Many of these communities are fairly small, and don't have the necessary population to support a Macy's store in addition to all the other department stores they have.
I pick this as the winning answer.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I pick this as the winning answer.
yeah, and for eureka and chico there is the one in Redding.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
I don't think Macy's would want to open stores in any of the places mentioned. Their merchandise is expensive, and I think they target areas that will support their inflated profits.

Three of them opened in the Portland-Metro area when they bought out the Meier & Frank stores. (I was very resentful ~ I LOVED Meier & Frank!) One is downtown Portland and the other two are in smaller cities of 90k and less. All are thriving, although I don't know anyone who shops their stores.

I, personally, hate Macy's. I don't spend that kind of money on clothes and have never found their merchandise to match my tastes. I'd rather go to Sear's or Penney's, and most of my summer clothes are bought from boutiques and markets where I vacation.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I don't think Macy's would want to open stores in any of the places mentioned. Their merchandise is expensive, and I think they target areas that will support their inflated profits.
Walk into Nordstroms or Bloomingdales, Macy's will seem like a thrift store.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,503,170 times
In Palmdale they have a Dillard's, I suppose that'sclose enough to Macy's and would not pay to open another similiar dept store.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Walk into Nordstroms or Bloomingdales, Macy's will seem like a thrift store.
I have. In fact, the Nordstrom's in Portland and Seattle are a lot more successful than their "home" in the Bay Area. Been to the Bloomingdale's in SF in it's opening weekend, which kinda' killed my need to go to the original one when I went to Manhattan. But I don't find Macy's that much cheaper.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I have. In fact, the Nordstrom's in Portland and Seattle are a lot more successful than their "home" in the Bay Area. Been to the Bloomingdale's in SF in it's opening weekend, which kinda' killed my need to go to the original one when I went to Manhattan. But I don't find Macy's that much cheaper.
Perhaps not for the women's section, I can't say. I know for men's it becomes a label thing. I forgot to mention Saks as being significantly much more than Macy's.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Perhaps not for the women's section, I can't say. I know for men's it becomes a label thing. I forgot to mention Saks as being significantly much more than Macy's.
Sak's in Portland finally closed. I'd never been in it. It did hold on for several years. What was unique about this store is that it was actually located on 5th Street.

Now, growing up in California, Gottschalk's was a classy store in those days. My mother did her annual clothes shopping at the one in Fresno. I read in a City-Data Forum once that the stores went downhill over time.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Palmdale now has a Macy's.

San Luis Obispo has plans to get a Macy's. This could mean the Santa Maria store might shut down. The Macy's in SLO will be in an outdoor shopping center of 530,000 sq. ft. I expect it to open in 2014. Construction likely to start next year.

I think alot of people go to the department stores because they are cheaper than going to the smaller stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California