Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 PM

110 posts, read 490,946 times

Advertisements

I realize rent and home prices are high in California...but there are deals out there if you search (I have found several rentals I could afford that look nice).

So...besides home prices/rent...is everything else really that much higher? I'm a renter who lives very simply with my young son. I feel we have a very rich life in many ways...since our main focus tends to be enjoying our dog, the outdoors, friends, simple pleasures.

I own a nice little used economy car. I bike most places. I work at home from my laptop. I don't buy lots of stuff...and tend to keep things for a long time as long as they work well (stereos, computers, etc.). I dress very casual and don't have a need to buy tons of shoes or fancy clothes. I eat out maybe once or twice a week. I also figure utilties in the central coast area of Cal are probably not terribly high...since the climate is mild. I figure I could rent a place that pays for water/trash...and only be responsible for electric, which is what I do here in Oregon.

So....my point is...How bad can it really be for a simple renter like myself? Am I missing something? All I know is I meet people here in Oregon all the time who had high paying jobs and couldn't survive in California.

Could someone help me out on this? Are basic things, such as utilities, groceries, clothing, car insurance, services, etc, the things that are too high for many people? Is it more about the expense of owning a home in Cal (property taxes, etc.)?

Perhaps the key is to rent and not buy a home there? Perhaps it is about your lifestyle?

I'm really puzzled by this...but perhpas I don't have enough information. I'd love to hear from anyone who can enlighten me. I am just floored when I meet people, such as a young couple in my neighborhood, who were making well over 200K per year and could not survive in Cal.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:17 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
You'll be fine. Most people who complain about cost-of-living are talking about buying real estate, not renting.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Gasoline is the highest in the country except for maybe Hawaii. Property taxes are high but only because the houses are so expensive. The basic tax rate is 1%. Income tax starts out low, but you get into the 8 and 9% brackets surprisingly fast. Yes, rent is expensive compared to a lot of places, but its manageable. The big killer is the cost of buying a house and what you get for your money. Other than that, its not too bad.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
Gas is high - but never was a big deal to me

I lived great in Calif just as a renter - and loved every minute of it

Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 PM

325 posts, read 1,472,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksABunch View Post
I am just floored when I meet people, such as a young couple in my neighborhood, who were making well over 200K per year and could not survive in Cal.

Thank you!
Real estate is what generally makes the cost of living so high. Yes, gas is more expensive, but it doesn't sounds as if that would be a problem for you.

The people making well over 200k per year and not surviving wouldn't survive anywhere. They obviously weren't living within their means and it is possible anywhere in California at over 200k per year. Our family of four, owning a house here, does so on less than half of that. If you have enough income, the key is buying what you can really afford, not just what you want or feel you deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: