Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARYNJANET View Post
WE DO HAVE A CHOICE, THOUGH, STOP BUYING GAS AT EXXON/MOBILE. THEY ARE LAUGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK AT OUR EXPENSE BECAUSE WE THINK WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. WE CAN FORCE THEM TO LOWER THEIR PRICES. IT'S A BUYERS MARKET, SO WHY ARE WE PAYING FULL PRICE WHEN WE DON'T HAVE TO.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON FOR GAS PRICES TO BE SO HIGH, AND THEY KNOW IT, BUT DON'T WANT US TO. SO WE HIT EM' WHERE IT HURTS, AND WON'T REINFORCE THEIR GREED BY PAYING THEIR PRICES. MANY ARE JOINING THE CAMPAIGN AND BUYING GAS SOMEWHERE ELSE. IF EXXON/MOBILE FEEL THE SQUEEZE, THEY WILL LOWER THE PRICES, AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL FOLLOW SUIT. I'VE ALREADY SEEN A DROP HERE IN MY TOWN IN THEIR PRICE!!!! I ENCOURAGE ALL TO JOIN WITH US! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE ALREADY JOINED IN, IT'S WORKING!
No, oil prices aren't determined by auction on the world market. The big, bad oil companies conspire to keep it high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Default Buy Oil Company Stock

I bought stock in oil companies, like ExxonMobil (XOM) and British Petroleum (BP) and share in the profits. Thus, no matter what I pay at the gas pump, I usually get it back in dividends.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Gas is 5 to $6 in Europe and asian countries, why shouldn't it be here eventually, whats to stop it, The fact we were led into the auto dependent culture that we are by business and governement many decades ago is what is going to make our life much more difficult now. We are being controlled as to how we live, when we go somewhere, if we want to take a long drive on a sunday, we might now decide do we want to have to pay another fill up, or save the gas for the upcoming workweek. If gas got to be 5 and 6 bucks, I can guarantee, we wont be saying what if it ever gets to 3 or 4 bucks, 5 or 6 will definitely cripple a number of people in this country with so many states that are completely dependent on cars, with little if any public transit even in metro areas. In europe and asia, even with very high gas prices, there is a huge amount of transit options, that we do not have in the majority of this country. Im not sure alot of people realize, there comes a point a number of families in those positions have to choose between food and putting gas in a car. I know they already are, I heard them on TV

Old 05-02-2007, 09:55 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Gas is 5 to $6 in Europe and asian countries, why shouldn't it be here eventually, whats to stop it, The fact we were led into the auto dependent culture that we are by business and governement many decades ago is what is going to make our life much more difficult now. We are being controlled as to how we live, when we go somewhere, if we want to take a long drive on a sunday, we might now decide do we want to have to pay another fill up, or save the gas for the upcoming workweek. If gas got to be 5 and 6 bucks, I can guarantee, we wont be saying what if it ever gets to 3 or 4 bucks, 5 or 6 will definitely cripple a number of people in this country with so many states that are completely dependent on cars, with little if any public transit even in metro areas. In europe and asia, even with very high gas prices, there is a huge amount of transit options, that we do not have in the majority of this country. Im not sure alot of people realize, there comes a point a number of families in those positions have to choose between food and putting gas in a car. I know they already are, I heard them on TV
In Europe and places where gas is expensive, you don't find families of four saying that their 4-Runner is too small and they need a full-size SUV. We Americans can change our car habits a lot and make significant differences to our pocketbooks.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:04 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I dont think many Californians have much of a choice - you gotta drive, so you gotta pay the big bucks for gas.

I live in an area with little to no public transportation, so my car is it

I try to make my 'trips' more efficient, but the prices haven't stopped me from going anywhere or doing anything.

^5 to that. To overcome the frustration, I post up on message boards, vent a bit and then get on with life. I also have a motorcycle (besides my cars). Wouldn't recommend that as a substitue for anyone else.... I'd hate to be the reason some poor kid dies 'cuz the SUV Mom on the phone didn't look before she merged into a fellow rider.

Last summer, while traveling thru Oklahoma, we took our picture next to a gas station sign 'cuz the highest grade gas was $1.96. LOL... I felt old! I had one of those "Remember when" moments my parents used to have.

But, almost a year later, I'm still confused as to how come a landlocked state has such cheap gas and, with all the refineries in California, we pay the highest. Perhaps someone can school me on this. Put me out of my "wondering" misery. LOL!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
But, almost a year later, I'm still confused as to how come a landlocked state has such cheap gas and, with all the refineries in California, we pay the highest. Perhaps someone can school me on this. Put me out of my "wondering" misery. LOL!
Its a combination of supply and demand and the cleaner burning gas CA requires.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 AM

38 posts, read 151,055 times
For every gallon of gas you Americans burn in your Full Size SUV`s China burns five so think on and burn it all up before theres none left.

But dont worry when Fuel Cell Tech comes on line in about 10 years time we will all have 2 ton SUV`s and 200 inch Plasma screens.

Invest in future tech industry and we will have the last laugh.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:51 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
We just live with it, as we have no choice. We live about 70 miles from my husband's job, which makes the high gas prices a real nightmare, $40+ every other day to fill up.
We are leaving CA, and this is one thing, I am really looking forward to not waisting our money on!!
MBG

Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM

223 posts, read 281,152 times
i paid 3.46 for a gal of gas today in southern ca.WHY wont the state & federal govt do something about it ? its total price gouging.i know the bush admin could care less about the people & are more intrested in the oil in iraq.whats really going on here ? BTW....i own a 90 t-bird v-6 & im getting a lousey 17 mpg.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james203 View Post
i paid 3.46 for a gal of gas today in southern ca.WHY wont the state & federal govt do something about it ? its total price gouging.i know the bush admin could care less about the people & are more intrested in the oil in iraq.whats really going on here ?
Yes, the government should lower the worldwide price of oil. They should change the weather and the tides while they're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California