Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,845 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a cabin/house in the high sierra mountains where it snows A LOT. I do not care if it is close to a store, just looking for massive amounts of snow.

It would be helpful if i could find a list of towns in California based on annual average snowfall reports too. Also, it seems that the towns far away from anyy major attractions such as shops, ski areas etc are the least expensive, so preferably a town with a low average cost of housing median.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Eastern Amador County.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Soda Springs, heaviest snowfall of any community in the world. Be careful when cross country skiing or snow machining, that you don't hook a powerline.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
The record for snowfall in the Sierra's was set at Tamarack in Eastern Calaveras County with a total snowfall of 78' in one season. Bear Valley Ski area is about 3 miles from there. I used to live in Tamarack but I've also seen an entire ski season with only about 8' of total snowfall.

The village of Bear Valley is a pretty pricey place, but just down the hill when you get back into Calaveras county, the prices are more reasonable. If you search for real estate in the area, the local subdivisions are named Sky High, Sherman Acres, and "the old subdivision" in Bear Valley.

I moved away from BV/Tamarack in 1979, but came back for a vacation in Feb '82. It snowed 21 feet in 8 days and I spent the entire vacation digging out of my friends cabin every morning, digging my car out and moving it to a clear parking lot, trudging back through the snow in time to dig my way back into the cabin so we could do it again the next day.

The night before I left, it stopped and I asked the Sheriff deputy if I could park on the main street for the night as it had been freshly plowed and had a nice big vertical wall on it from the snowblower. He said sure. I went out to get a coat for my wife from the trunk of the car and when I closed the lid, the entire wall avalanched on me, burying my car one last time.

I don't miss the snow that much anymore.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
I considered 5 acres near Dorrington off highway 4. Small community, when snowed in - they use snowmobiles. They seemed to not have any large homes, I understood they were limited to 500 square foot homes. I was considering a shipping container as a cabin, easily locked when not in use. They had a HOA with a fee of $100 a year. All in all it sounded like a hippy commune.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Mammoth Lakes? Tahoe? Lots of snow is an odd thing to look for all by it self. Are you a skier?

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Always enjoyed Lake Almanor, been snowed in a few times there.
You may want to be more precise on your needs.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I considered 5 acres near Dorrington off highway 4. Small community, when snowed in - they use snowmobiles. They seemed to not have any large homes, I understood they were limited to 500 square foot homes. I was considering a shipping container as a cabin, easily locked when not in use. They had a HOA with a fee of $100 a year. All in all it sounded like a hippy commune.
Were you thinking about Prather Meadows? If so, that really is a summertime cabin area. I know 3 folks in my town that own places up there, but I'm unaware of anyone who lives there in the wintertime.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
I like Mt. Shasta City and McCloud Right next door to beautiful Mt. Shasta.

My sister's house had snow up to the eaves one winter. The kids would climb up to the roof ridge and sled down! Great fun!

The there is always the beauty of Graeagle. You can't beat that town summer or winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California