Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times

Advertisements

We were down at San Marcos yesterday......they will be giving top priority to transfer students coming from their local junior colleges......if any spaces are left, (chances are slim, it's a small campus), they will open it up to applications that were sent in by the deadline. My daughter, who goes to Saddleback, was so upset that we didn't even take a tour.... (we later stopped by Saddleback, in Mission Viejo, and it ended up that we knew more than the counseling office.....!!!!! No Cal State is near Saddleback, so just where is it that Saddleback kids go????)

......same with Long Beach State.....they will cater to their 3 local junior colleges.....
(it's on their site)

there is also a big letter on Cal State Fullerton's site from the president discussing impaction...

San Diego is also bursting at the seams.....

Cal States seem to be a lost cause for this fall.....it's very depressing for upper classman transfers who do not live near a campus....

As far as applicants go, lots and lots of $50.00 application fees are down the drain.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,849 times
Default Cant get into csusb

I have a 3.9 GPA with 89 semester units from a community college and am more than ready to transfer to CSUSB, however, they are not accepting applications for spring 2010, fall 2010, or even any quarters in 2011. They have told me that they do not think they will even consider applications for the entire year of 2011 due to the fact that they are trying to cut back 40,000 students due to budget cuts. This is rediculous. I already have my AA degree and cannot get my BA because none of the southern california universities are accepting applications. Just so you know, I pay for college out of my hard earned money from working for the school district as an instructional aide due to the fact that I do not qualify for any financial assistance. So, the economy is not losing money by letting me go to school, they are losing money by NOT letting me in school. America is supposed to be the land where you can be anything as long as you are willing to do the work, yet I have proven with my grades that I am more than willing to do the work, but cannot go any further with my education.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
It is going to get worse. The proposed budget for 2010 doesn't allocate money for increases in enrollment and there is also a proposal to do away with the sales tax on gasoline because the voters voted for a proposition which would guarantee funding of transportation projects and education from the sales tax on gas. Eliminating the sales tax on gas is the only legal loophole for getting around what the voters voted for.

So, they will get rid of the sales tax on gas and raise the excise tax, then spend the money as they they see fit.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachelle21 View Post
I have a 3.9 GPA with 89 semester units from a community college and am more than ready to transfer to CSUSB, however, they are not accepting applications for spring 2010, fall 2010, or even any quarters in 2011. They have told me that they do not think they will even consider applications for the entire year of 2011 due to the fact that they are trying to cut back 40,000 students due to budget cuts. This is rediculous. I already have my AA degree and cannot get my BA because none of the southern california universities are accepting applications. Just so you know, I pay for college out of my hard earned money from working for the school district as an instructional aide due to the fact that I do not qualify for any financial assistance. So, the economy is not losing money by letting me go to school, they are losing money by NOT letting me in school. America is supposed to be the land where you can be anything as long as you are willing to do the work, yet I have proven with my grades that I am more than willing to do the work, but cannot go any further with my education.

Never fear... the funding for schools and universities has been restored. While there is a glimmer of hope that the enrollment will increase for this year, students still face a hike in tuition fee.

Governor’s Proposed 2010-2011 Budget Includes Additional Funding for California State University | CSU | Public Affairs

Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
It is going to get worse. The proposed budget for 2010 doesn't allocate money for increases in enrollment and there is also a proposal to do away with the sales tax on gasoline because the voters voted for a proposition which would guarantee funding of transportation projects and education from the sales tax on gas. Eliminating the sales tax on gas is the only legal loophole for getting around what the voters voted for.

So, they will get rid of the sales tax on gas and raise the excise tax, then spend the money as they they see fit.
Maybe I spoke too soon. Only time will tell if the proposed 2010 budgets will have any positive effects on the universities. I'm glad I graduated last fall because I wouldn't want to be in this mess.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
I didn't see the previous news. A few days ago I read the budget wasn't going to fund additional growth.

Now we have conflicting information.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Maybe I spoke too soon. Only time will tell if the proposed 2010 budgets will have any positive effects on the universities. I'm glad I graduated last fall because I wouldn't want to be in this mess.
The key word is 'proposed'.......time will tell, I guess, but in the mean time, these kids are stressed to the max!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I didn't see the previous news. A few days ago I read the budget wasn't going to fund additional growth.

Now we have conflicting information.
For sure, it's quite a mess we are in.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
The key word is 'proposed'.......time will tell, I guess, but in the mean time, these kids are stressed to the max!
Since this past summer, the CSU has raised tuition fee at least two times. The latest announcement for the tuition fee didn't come until 2 weeks before the fall quarter began. Most students had already paid their tuition fees in advance long before the CSU announced the increase.

In addition, we had experienced some cuts to the academic programs, with foreign language being excluded. On top of that, classes were either canceled or consolidated to cram additional students over the maximum limit per classroom. My last year at CSU went well despite these changes. The only negative about it was paying the fee hike for my last quarter, but the continuing students has got to be really disgruntled by now.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachelle21 View Post
I have a 3.9 GPA with 89 semester units from a community college and am more than ready to transfer to CSUSB, however, they are not accepting applications for spring 2010, fall 2010, or even any quarters in 2011.
CSUSB had accepted applications for Fall 2010 up to last month. No offense but did you accidentally miss the deadline?

From the CSUSB website "Cal State San Bernardino will stop accepting applications from first-time freshmen and upper division transfer students for fall 2010 on December 15, 2009. Students who apply after November 30 will be placed on a waiting list and will only be considered should space become available."
http://admissions.csusb.edu/#application

Unfortunately nearly all of the campuses currently have strict application rules and deadlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California