Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
What area is still "real"? No state is untainted by either natural born americans who moved or recent immigrants, legal or illegal. I gave up on the whole billy yank/johnny reb thing a long time ago and I lived up and down the east coast in several states as well in the real south (which is not where I am now in South Florida). Northern VA is full of recent immigrants and foreign nationals.

No area is good enough to support people's needs anymore. The days of Ward Clever are over.
It's the 'no true scotsman' fallacy. All these people bitching and complaining crack me up, because for some reason they think all of CA is LA and San Francisco. I grew up on acreage, raised dairy goats, cattle, swine etc etc, was in 4H for nearly 14 years, rode horses and participated in cattle roundups from a young age and *gasp* I did it all within a 20 miles drive of the beach in California!! I thought they only did that in 'real' America.....

My parents barely graduated high school and yet they will be paying off their 4 bedroom house next year with zero help from the government, their parents, trust funds or anything else. They built it less than 15 years ago as well.

Yeah, not everyone is going to make it, and for some CA is not the right place to be... but for others it's perfect and has everything they want. For every person wanting to 'escape' California life, there are plenty more who wouldn't think of leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM

302 posts, read 864,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Heck, you can make $11.25/hour on unemployment here! And, I believe that with the Federal benefit you can get 92 weeks.
That's why a lot of people in my vocational courses were there, simply to extend their unemployment rather than further a career goal.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yeah, not everyone is going to make it, and for some CA is not the right place to be... but for others it's perfect and has everything they want. For every person wanting to 'escape' California life, there are plenty more who wouldn't think of leaving.
That's good, because with their liberal mentality, I wouldn't want them living in my new state of residence. This way we both win.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've raised the ire of many ex-Californians in other forums, so I might as well answer this one and get everybody twisted off here.
Why thank you Jazz

Quote:
I find it especially humorous, in a sad way, that many long-time Californians rail about the influx of immigrants, domestic and foreign, entering their state, but can't figure out why people in other states get upset when hordes of Californians transplant to their state--and threaten to change the very character of the place. No difference.
So, there is a small difference-a lot of the people coming into California are not native citizens (illegal hispanics and the like). At least with California and other states moving back and forth between each other, we're still dealing with U.S. citizens.

I do however, agree that massive influx of any type of character into another (such as a large liberal populace moving to a conservative area) can threaten the balance. Since we are such a diversified country in our beliefs-some areas representing 30 years behind the times while others are over-regulated to the edge *cough* California *cough*, people should take caution before moving to a new area. Be sure that is the type of "character" you would like to move into. I think that anytime someone is introduced into a new state, it is more or less hingent on them to adapt, not the other way around.

Quote:
A friend, a Colorado native whose work took him to California for several years, made this statement about the place that I thought was quite insightful: "California is a geographically magnificent place, but its population has become unworthy of that geography."
My husband always said that California would be great if it weren't for all the damn Californians.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
What area is still "real"? No state is untainted by either natural born americans who moved or recent immigrants, legal or illegal. I gave up on the whole billy yank/johnny reb thing a long time ago and I lived up and down the east coast in several states as well in the real south (which is not where I am now in South Florida). Northern VA is full of recent immigrants and foreign nationals.

No area is good enough to support people's needs anymore. The days of Ward Clever are over.
No one expects that people will not relo. However, if I move somewhere, I am going to try and assimilate. That's who I am. Too bad so few think this way.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's the 'no true scotsman' fallacy. All these people bitching and complaining crack me up, because for some reason they think all of CA is LA and San Francisco. I grew up on acreage, raised dairy goats, cattle, swine etc etc, was in 4H for nearly 14 years, rode horses and participated in cattle roundups from a young age and *gasp* I did it all within a 20 miles drive of the beach in California!! I thought they only did that in 'real' America.....

My parents barely graduated high school and yet they will be paying off their 4 bedroom house next year with zero help from the government, their parents, trust funds or anything else. They built it less than 15 years ago as well.

That's all well and good, but unless your head is in the sand, you probably realize that LA and SF polity decides everything for you. Plus, even in more outlying places like the Central Coast, the old Californio culture which you have clearly benefited from is under assault, slowly but surely. Deny it though you may, it IS happening.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 10-14-2009 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 08:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A degree has nothing to do with knowledge, experience, and the ability to do the job.
That's not what I said

Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And more's the pity. But Wally and The Beave still live through some of us old farts so there's always hope! In many ways it was a kinder, gentler and better time.

It just seemed kinder and gentler. Many parts of America's foul underbelly were hidden, or at least never mentioned. It was "the good old days" as seen through myopia and rose colored glasses. Mayfield was a figment and 485 Mapleton Drive was a facade on Universal's back lot.

Fercrissakes, in the pilot episode they couldn't even get a toilet, in the background of an interior shot, past the censors. Is that kinder, gentler and better? I guess nobody (except yours truly) took craps in the 1950s.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
There aren't McJobs available. I checked and the local fast food stopped taking applications.
I've seen the first Help Wanted signs this week... it's been awhile.

The local Locksmith had a help wanted sign and it said will train...

Starbucks had a help wanted sign and Hardware Store too...

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It just seemed kinder and gentler. Many parts of America's foul underbelly were hidden, or at least never mentioned. It was "the good old days" as seen through myopia and rose colored glasses. Mayfield was a figment and 485 Mapleton Drive was a facade on Universal's back lot.

Fercrissakes, in the pilot episode they couldn't even get a toilet, in the background of an interior shot, past the censors. Is that kinder, gentler and better? I guess nobody (except yours truly) took craps in the 1950s.
I quite understand that the 40s and 50s were not Paradise. There were still racial inequities, the cold war was in full swing and as you observed, many of the problems were swept under the rug and rarely, if ever, brought to the attention of the public. Add the high unemployment following WW II and the messiness of the Korean War and much about those times left a lot to be desired.

All that being taken into consideration, I submit that those were also times of, in the main, a far more civil society engendering better values, more respect and a collective outlook far more hopeful than times have been since. I lived those times so I have first-hand experience with them and enough years under my belt to have also seen the subsequent changes first-hand. For many of us growing up in that era it was truly golden and magical in many ways. Thankfully, vestiges of it remain in other states but with far more equality and tolerance.

By the way, not only were toilets verboten on television but married couples slept in separate twin beds and the bad guys in westerns only ever got "winged" in the gun fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California