Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
No that's pretty much bang on correct, except for maybe the dress like surfer part.

Another interesting thing about the separation of church and state--one semester I was taking a cultural college class taught by a liberal hispanic teacher who described herself as angry. She actually removed "under God" from the anthem when we pledged allegiance. Need I say more? It's disgusting what's happening here.
I don't think the "one nation under god" was originally in the pledge of allegiance to begin with. I think it was added later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I don't think this is limited to CA. The separation of church and state is happening all over the nation, just a little slower in some parts.

It may be disgusting to you, but in a nation where we have freedom of religion (which also means "from" religion if you're so inclined), you have to see it from the perspective of those who practice other religions or no religion at all. It may be disgusting in the eyes of a "Christian", but not all Americans are Christian.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:06 PM

302 posts, read 864,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I don't think this is limited to CA. The separation of church and state is happening all over the nation, just a little slower in some parts.

It may be disgusting to you, but in a nation where we have freedom of religion (which also means "from" religion if you're so inclined), you have to see it from the perspective of those who practice other religions or no religion at all. It may be disgusting in the eyes of a "Christian", but not all Americans are Christian.
The big problem I have with is it that we are primarily a Christian nation, founded under God, who is now trying to remove God from fundamental things. What's next-from the Constitution? Our dollar bills? I mean, come on.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The big problem I have with is it that we are primarily a Christian nation, founded under God, who is now trying to remove God from fundamental things. What's next-from the Constitution? Our dollar bills? I mean, come on.
Doesn't the constitution say separation of church and state?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Doesn't the constitution say separation of church and state?

No, it doesn't.

When someone says that it does though, I generally just smile and nod patronizingly. Then I ask if it's part of their 3rd amendment rights. They generally say yes. Choking back the laughter, sometimes I tell them that I believe it's a shame that Abe Lincoln added the whole "under God" thing to the constitution. Sometimes, I even make it through the conversation without offering to sell them oceanfront property in Oklahoma.

There's a country song that says something like, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything".

Old 10-15-2009, 08:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Quote:
This is an idea that is common to those who have not studied the history of the founding of the nation.
George Washington's shadow seldom crossed the threshold of a church.
Quote:
[SIZE=2]"George Washington's practice of Christianity was limited and superficial because he was not himself a Christian... He repeatedly declined the church's sacraments. Never did he take communion, and when his wife, Martha, did, he waited for her outside the sanctuary... Even on his deathbed, Washington asked for no ritual, uttered no prayer to Christ, and expressed no wish to be attended by His representative."[/SIZE]

John Adams stated specifically that this nation was not founded as a Christian nation

The Constitution makes no reference to God, and it is the ultimate law of the land.

Quote:
[SIZE=2]"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
Thomas Jefferson on Christianity

Quote:
[SIZE=2]"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]
.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason."[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
Ben Franklin

And don't forget Honest Abe,
Quote:
[SIZE=2]Lincoln's first law partner, John T. Stuart, said of him: "He was an avowed and open infidel, and sometimes bordered on atheism. He went further against Christian beliefs and doctrines and principles than any man I have ever heard."[/SIZE]

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
She actually removed "under God" from the anthem when we pledged allegiance. Need I say more? It's disgusting what's happening here.
Good for her! Someone has to counter the loony faction of the christers.
She's my hero.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
The Christian Nation Myth

Quote:
The primary leaders of the so-called founding fathers of our nation were not Bible-believing Christians; they were deists.

Deism was a philosophical belief that was widely accepted by the colonial intelligentsia at the time of the American Revolution. Its major tenets included belief in human reason as a reliable means of solving social and political problems and belief in a supreme deity who created the universe to operate solely by natural laws.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Good for her! Someone has to counter the loony faction of the christers.
She's my hero.

The teacher I talked about earlier actually reprimanded me and told me that this nation was 'under god' and that's why I should say the pledge in full.... after I reminded her that 'under god' was added in the 50s, I also told her I'd always assumed that when they said 'god' they meant Mithras.

I'm surprised I wasn't completely banned from that class, but it was the only AP English class available.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

The teacher I talked about earlier actually reprimanded me and told me that this nation was 'under god' and that's why I should say the pledge in full.... after I reminded her that 'under god' was added in the 50s, I also told her I'd always assumed that when they said 'god' they meant Mithras.

I'm surprised I wasn't completely banned from that class, but it was the only AP English class available.
Was this in SLO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California